K

Kain10th

May 7, 2020
That's a persistent fantasy of mine but I don't think I have what it takes to be successful at it.

• Hugs
Reactions: lifteddream, Meowkin, Pisceslilith and 2 others
GoBack

GoBack

Paragon
Apr 25, 2020
So many times I met myself coming back. Don't know how successful I was, it was just something I had to do

• Love
Reactions: Una
nomorefight

nomorefight

Jul 1, 2019
I get that so much, sometimes I want to get up and walk out the door and just see wherever I end up

Reactions: lifteddream and Iamnotperminant92
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
I literally upped and moved abroad when I was 22 and it was the best thing I ever did, but sadly, these problems/mental health catches up with you and it all fell apart.

• Aww..
Reactions: voyager, Meowkin, Soul and 2 others
K

Kain10th

May 7, 2020
I literally upped and moved abroad when I was 22 and it was the best thing I ever did, but sadly, these problems/mental health catches up with you and it all fell apart.
What did you do for work when you got there?

BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
I had an advantage that I could already speak the language, so finding work wasn't hard for me and basically couch surfed/hostels until I had money for my own place.

Reactions: Meowkin
Iamnotperminant92

Iamnotperminant92

Alien visitor
May 4, 2020
I met a guy on the west coast who was homeless but seemed quite jovial. I believe he was in a college town in Washington but moved south to a place that's a regular hangout in the desert. I forgot where exactly, but the idea of camping out west technically homeless but having some sense of control - it's been a fantasy. Sometimes I wish I'd lived in the 60s in a hippie commune.

If I had normal vision I'd just be driving/living in an RV

SpareWheel

SpareWheel

I go on holidays by mistake
May 4, 2020
I've done so, 4 times. Always end up back 'home' as in the place I grew up that I've never felt at home.

Enjoyed my life much, much more all 4 times I moved away - circumstance never let me stay away longer than 5 years though, different reasons at different times all leading me back to the place I'd escaped.

I'd recommend it to anyone though, if you feel the place you're living is keeping you down, find the courage to move away someplace else and give it a go. You might become a whole new person.

• Love
Reactions: voyager, Meowkin, Soul and 1 other person
Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
I have thought about it many times.. That's why I want to go backpack a bit. But to scared to go alone :I-_-

• Hugs
Reactions: voyager and Soul
T

ThatsAllFolks

May 8, 2020
God, I wish. I think about it all the time. I wish I could run away to the jungles of Costa Rica and live off the grid alone forever. Or maybe just move up to Maine and get a small cabin in the woods.

Reactions: voyager and Meowkin
K-O

K-O

FU(KOFFEE
Apr 16, 2020
i did that often! i find it so very important to shuffle and reboot.
as specially cause i was trapped as a child.
if your a westerner go east..
if your born into money get lost start a new.
fuck your self up to loose the plot and maybe find another..
prove "them" and yourself wrong and pat yourself on the back by the fuck me approach!
takes courage yeah but always worth it!
x

Reactions: DocNo, voyager and Soul
Yomyom

Yomyom

Darker dearie, much darker
Feb 5, 2020
I wanted it in the past, but totally clean start, new id new name, everything new.
But with the technology of this days it's almost impossible to do it

Despondent

Despondent

Archangel
Dec 20, 2019
I haven't tried because I don't think I would be quite successful but I've had many dreams haha Maybe one day, because I really would like to get away from everything

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
When I was a teen, for two years I was constantly running away or being kicked out. Each time, I got out of the abusive situation, and that caused relief, but I also took myself with me, and it was not all pleasant. I didn't yet have the foundations to make sound judgments about others or make good decisions.

As an adult, I've done a lot of healing, and in my forties I got unexpected opportunities to live in different countries, which I'd always wanted. When I got disability, it was cheaper for me to live where I'd always wanted to try, and I already spoke the language. I did pretty well because I already had a good sense of who I am, I wasn't trying to escape anything, and I was able to remain grounded. I met other expats who generally have a similar view of life and politics to mine. I enjoyed life more than I had before, in spite of my disability. I escaped my suffocating culture, and the freedom from it has felt good, and when I went back for awhile, I was better able to tolerate and sometimes even appreciate it having had a break and experiencing other cultures and perspectives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul and Una
Broken Chimera

Broken Chimera

The abyss also gazes into you
May 27, 2019
I tried that. Unfortunately family was full of narcs and I wound up back where I started.

S

sleepless

Aug 1, 2018
That's a persistent fantasy of mine but I don't think I have what it takes to be successful at it.

Boy has this thought cross my mind a million times as well. I envy the people who have successfully done it. But the closest thing I probably have to this is, to travel a few more times before I CTB. But looking at the current virus situation, I don't think it paints a good outlook for that as well anytime soon.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: voyager, Blu_1 and Soul
F

FusRohDracarys

But what do I know
Mar 31, 2020
Sort of. Moved across the country, ghosted a bunch of my friends, changed careers, changed my appearance, had a major personality shift as a happenstance. I'm less happy than I was before, to be honest, but some good things came from it. I'll probably do something similar next year.

BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
It was a fantasy of mine too. I was about to board the flight to Asia for a job when I had a breakdown. I had everything planned so well, too. Sucks to suck (in my case).

• Hugs
Arrow

Arrow

Rewrite
May 1, 2020
when i was younger i used to dream about just packing up my shit and walking across the country. coast to coast and back again. people have done it, just very few. but that's just another dream-butterfly i put in a jar on a shelf somewhere.

• Hugs
Reactions: voyager
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I left the country right after graduating, and wound up staying away for the rest of my life. It is a bit of a drag to discover that I go everywhere with me, but even so it was a thousand times better than staying in the toxic situation I left behind.

Reactions: voyager and GoodPersonEffed
P

pete_x

Good god, let's eat !
May 9, 2020
It's kind of a coin toss really. It didn't work for me but for some people I knew it did. I think it didn't work out for me because I didn't have a place to land.

• Hugs
Reactions: BitterlyAlive
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
Let's see... Done it about half a dozen times. However, being underprivileged follows you everywhere. Plus, satisfying lives are built on strong roots: Nobody who has lived in the same city all their lives can understand the misery of being driven from place to place like a hounded animal.

I've also been in very different social circles. Though I have connected with individuals from all these circles, I have never found a social group to fully belong to.

Not that any of this makes me depressed, I'd be perfectly happy to be allowed to stay where I am right now. But I'm not, hence the only way out is via SN. I'm not starting over again.