lostangel

lostangel

Enlightened
Mar 22, 2019
It wasn't illegal or anything like that I just screwed up something that was supposed to be so easy to do. For the past few hours I have been beating my self up physically and mentally. I am so angry at myself for doing what I did. I feel like a failure, a true and utter mess that needs to be put down before I screw up anymore. I'm full of self hatred.

Any tips on dealing with it?

• Hugs
Reactions: Zyntkalla, Skathon, antigone_iris and 1 other person
VIBRITANNIA

VIBRITANNIA

lelouch. any pronouns. pfp is by pixiv id 3217872.
Aug 10, 2020
remind yourself that everybody makes mistakes. nobody is perfect, and that's okay. and just because you may not be good at one thing doesn't mean you're useless.

when you say beating yourself up physically, do you mean as in punching/hitting yourself? or in another way of self-harm?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: antigone_iris, puppy9 and lostangel
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
You are only a failure if you don't learn from your mistakes. It's natural to feel bad about fucking up, so allow yourself to feel it, but then hopefully you can let that feeling go. Happens to us all. Guilt and dwelling on it serves no function. Learning from your mistakes is all you can do.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Zyntkalla, puppy9 and lostangel
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
Usually my next step is to be sad about it, then do something else equally foolish and be sad about that instead.

• Hugs
Reactions: woxihuanni, Good4Nothing and lostangel
lostangel

lostangel

Enlightened
Mar 22, 2019
remind yourself that everybody makes mistakes. nobody is perfect, and that's okay. and just because you may not be good at one thing doesn't mean you're useless.

when you say beating yourself up physically, do you mean as in punching/hitting yourself? or in another way of self-harm?
yes punching my abdomen. I used to cut but not anymore.

D

Deleted member 1496

Student
Aug 2, 2018
Disclaimer: trying this for myself, but it may or may not be applicable or good for anyone else because why, how, and what people behave varies. And this is for a small mistakes. Anyway...

short-term:
It doesn't sound like there was any major legal, monetary, occupational, etc. injury to yourself or others due to your mistake, so allow yourself to make a mistake. There are others who make mistakes and don't give it a second thought. Before you hit yourself, imagine their thought process where they never even consider self-punishment but go right on to whatever next step is that they do. Think to yourself that you're allowed to make mistakes without derision, criticism or punishment. Because expecting complete perfection for humans doesn't make sense and is unreasonable. The best software has at least one bug in it. Allow yourself to mistakes and move right to whatever you'd be doing if you never thought of the mistake or yourself as bad, but just that mistakes happening is normal for all humans.

long-term:
Try to figure out a possible reason why you punish yourself so much and work on changing that. for me, i realized that i was never allowed mistakes. For example:
My grades: A, A, A, A, A, B.​
Parents: "Why the B? B is not good. How do you expect to go to university with a B?"​
While other kids got money for bringing a B, I got criticized for it. That fucks with your brain. Anyway, I stay up late to finish all my homework.​
I get yelled at for not sleeping on time, and warned that tomorrow I'll be tired.​
But sleep won't get that B up to an A, so I endeavor to keep working while getting yelled at.​
Next morning, I feel nauseated from hardly sleeping. I don't want to eat because I know I will vomit.​
I get yelled at for not eating because "breakfast is very important."​
I succumb and eat, like they said I should. I vomit.​
I get yelled at for vomiting and told, "see, I told you that you should sleep on time. this is what happens."​

No matter what I did, it was always wrong. And they were always right. But were they? I'm now burned out and almost everything in life is difficult because I have to get it all correct and proper the first time. So maybe they and whoever else later would shit on me weren't so right. Especially when I know there are others who have "mistakes", don't feel any punishment for it, and are happier than I am. And specifically, I would have done fine in life with the B, with not eating if I feel nauseated. I would've been better off semi-happily living with mistakes than forcing myself to never make one and anguishing whenever one was made.

To this day I think I'm a fuck up. It doesn't matter what my accomplishments are. Even when someone praises me, I can convince them it was a fluke and that I actually am a stupid person. Not because I actually am a failure or useless, but because I was treated as a failure and useless. It was learned behavior--but not necessarily accurate. So I try to learn a different behavior.

For me, I recall CPTSD mention re-parenting yourself. So I try to talk to myself or an imaginary child. I wouldn't shit on said child for a mistake. I wouldn't make a negative light of a mistake, but possibly enjoy something even with said mistake or continue on to the next step, either fixing the mistake if needed or accepting or adjusting to the mistake if it didn't need or couldn't be fixed. (BTW, for counter-balance, this re-parenting needs repeating as frequently as the many moments of derision and yelling.)

Anyway, I try to think: minor harm, minor foul.

• Hugs
Reactions: antigone_iris and Good4Nothing
Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
I slap myself in the face really hard. I feel dizzy and have a slight headache afterwards. I deserve worse though. A bullet in the back of the head would be good.
Just punched myself in the abdomen. Satisfying feeling despite the pain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skathon
antigone_iris

antigone_iris

Wizard
Oct 25, 2020
You are *not* a failure. I criticize myself for mistakes all the time, because I grew up being a perfectionist. When I make a mistake I'm trying to detach myself from the situation for a moment and remind myself that people make mistakes all the time and that mistakes contribute to my experience and learning. I struggle with this most of the time, but I'm trying to change the perspective and see things differently. If the mistakes are small, I just laugh at them. Helps me distract myself from criticizing myself.

woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
When you fuck up enough and are fucked over enough, you stop feeling regret or wanting to punish yourself, if that helps. There is hope while the fury is fresh.