• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

C

Coffeandamug

Words are quite useless, and so am I.
Oct 22, 2020
I am intrigued by the topic after watching the netflix documentary. I am skeptical as well. One of the arguments my mind keeps reminding me of is on the report of human behavior when parts of their brain are cut off for some reason. There are numerous reports on behavior alteration after losing the frontal cortex for example. Another example is the reports on the old treatment for epilepsy involving splitting the connections of both parts of the brain, where after the split behavior like both hands disagreeing on what to do was seen. If consciousness is not dependent on the physical brain then why do we have this phenomenon? I mean... clearly behavior, personality, and deep aspects of one's "soul" are affected by the physical brain. If someone with a split personality passed away, would he have a split personality in the afterlife as well? What about intellectually disabled people who can't talk and have a very idiosyncratic way of interacting with the world? Will their "personalities" remain consistent with that? If not, then how we can guarantee that any personality remains consistent? There are many questions, but I can't ignore the numerous cases of NDEs as well. I guess I will remain agnostic, that is, remain "I don't know what the fuck is going on here, and I'm not making bold assumptions". But I want to know more as well, I don't think any of these people are lying about their experience, I don't see any reason to think so.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Kevin Williams' website is something of an encyclopedia on the topic. The NDERF is regularly updated. This is my favourite YouTube channel on the topic.

An NDE that I find notable is Kelly Sammy. Her experience was positive and initiated by a suicide, though as with many people, she returned with many insights.

Having said all that, I don't have any interest in debating with 'skeptics' for the same reason as I don't like to debate geology with flat-Earthers. (A.k.a. a waste of everyone's time.) I'm very interested in the field of research conclusions, though.

C

Coffeandamug

Oct 22, 2020
Kevin Williams' website is something of an encyclopedia on the topic. The NDERF is regularly updated. This is my favourite YouTube channel on the topic.

An NDE that I find notable is Kelly Sammy. Her experience was positive and initiated by a suicide, though as with many people, she returned with many insights.

Having said all that, I don't have any interest in debating with 'skeptics' for the same reason as I don't like to debate geology with flat-Earthers. (A.k.a. a waste of everyone's time.) I'm very interested in the field of research conclusions, though.
Thank you very much for all the information, it is very helpful. I'm not looking for debates as well as I don't want to convince anyone of anything. I just want to listen/read as many productive takes on the subject as I can and to keep updating my own conclusions. I kind of just layed out my thoughts on my post.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Thank you very much for all the information, it is very helpful. I'm not looking for debates as well as I don't want to convince anyone of anything. I just want to listen/read as many productive takes on the subject as I can and to keep updating my own conclusions. I kind of just layed out my thoughts on my post.
Do let me know if you have any questions. I've researched this topic for over 20 years!

C

Coffeandamug

Oct 22, 2020
Do let me know if you have any questions. I've researched this topic for over 20 years!
Oh wow this is so interesting to hear... on the top of my head I just would like to know what you think of this conundrum between "cerebral physical alteration may alter behavioral patterns mildly or drastically" and the supposed assumption that consciousness or "soul" is not liked to brain activity since it did cease to happen on some of these cases. Again, I just genuinely want to listen to your thoughts. Also, feel free not to asnwer anything you don't want to asnwer at anytime.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I'm no neurologist but it is widely accepted that physical changes to the brain affect personality. There was a particularly gruesome case study in the 19th century where a railroad worker had a horrible accident causing part of his brain to literally fall out. Somehow he survived, but it was noted that after that time, his personality became far more aggressive. I think I learned about this on a Hank Green psychology course on YouTube.

Talking about a 'soul' from a reductionist materialist perspective is not likely to be productive. If we prefer a strictly material perspective, we need to stick to matters that the human senses or their technological extensions can make direct observations on.

If we are open to the messages commonly shared from people returning from the other side, the overriding theme is oneness. It becomes a very different discussion, more in the field of spirituality than science. The beauty of NDE studies is that it represents a grey area between the two. For the open-minded, I have commented about spiritual/religious stuff elsewhere.