• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

epic

epic

Enlightened
Aug 9, 2019
I've always felt different, not really able to put my finger on it, but I've always cared about living things: people, bugs, animals. You would be hard pressed to find me not picking up spiders & moving them outside, or avoiding worms on the street after the rain bc their lives were important too.

As I got older, towards people I started to feel like John Coffee from the Green Mile. Felt like I could help people come to terms with things that were bothering them & metaphorically carry their problems so they wouldn't have to- or at the very least, help them not to feel so alone.

Now, I can't take it anymore. Talking with others is now draining instead of fulfilling.

The other day, I had the opportunity IRL to save someone who was showing signs of wanting to CTB, every fiber of my being was screaming, "what are you waiting for, do something." & I couldn't move. I myself am planning on CTB, how can I stop someone else.

In the end, after grappling with the idea for a few minutes, I spoke with them. They felt alone & abandoned/shunned by their family, friends & a recent opportunity that could have turned their life around fell through- they were devastated. Immediately breaking down but quickly regaining composure, a switch turned in them & their mindset changed.

Two weeks later, the opportunity came to fruition & they've begun the journey to get back what they lost.

——————​

Anyone else experience something similar to this?
You seem to be very kind, I saw your previous thread where you talked about about volunteering for a suicide hotline . Kudos to you :) .

I am also an empath . Maybe with average or slightly above average empathy. I am not a big fan of bugs and insects though but I don't kill them (except for mosquitos , cockroaches) .

NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
You seem to be very kind, I saw your previous thread where you talked about about volunteering for a suicide hotline . Kudos to you :) .

I am also an empath . Maybe with average or slightly above average empathy. I am not a big fan of bugs and insects though but I don't kill them (except for mosquitos , cockroaches) .
Thank you. :)

It was exhausting work, never knowing if your words helped, or made people feel worse. There's a lot of responsibility & emotional currency invested in working (volunteering in my case) in an environment where you're trying to support someone with one hand tied behind your back (liability/legislation).

Glad to hear there are more like us out there in SS land. & well, we all come in different shapes & sizes, from all walks of life, you don't need to do it all (plus roaches are disgusting, haha). I mean, I'm empathetic towards animal, but I'm not vegan.

• Love
Reactions: epic
D

Deleted member 23885

Experienced
Nov 18, 2020
I'm a highly sensitive person, I scored pretty highly on the quiz on the website. I am also an empath. But, I find life to be full of suffering- though a few distractions make it somewhat bearable.

NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
I'm a highly sensitive person, I scored pretty highly on the quiz on the website. I am also an empath. But, I find life to be full of suffering- though a few distractions make it somewhat bearable.
I'm glad to hear you have ways to make life somewhat bearable. I find that I burn through things that make life bearable... after a while, nothing really helps.

D

Deleted member 23885

Experienced
Nov 18, 2020
I just stick with music and reality TV.

D

Deleted member 23885

Experienced
Nov 18, 2020
I have netflix but only really use it watch cooking shows or movies with my mum. I barely watch series. I have a quite a short attention span so I stick to watching reality tv shows with lots of music/dancing. Sometimes, it lifts my mood. It's good talking to you, by the way.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: NodusTollens
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Peanuts aren't nuts! They're seeds!
Jan 21, 2021
Everything you said resonates so so so much. I'm too tired so I am glad you said it so I dont have to. It is exhuasting. I can feel everyone's emotions and its amazing because I help everyone around me. But people dont often return the favor. Who heals the healer? I feel like I absorb everything around me.

• Hugs
Reactions: NodusTollens
NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
Everything you said resonates so so so much. I'm too tired so I am glad you said it so I dont have to. It is exhuasting. I can feel everyone's emotions and its amazing because I help everyone around me. But people dont often return the favor. Who heals the healer? I feel like I absorb everything around me.

Mhmm. HUGS. The plight of the healer. I'm sorry you're feeling so exhausted, it's a isolating feeling when you turn around & no ones there. You PM me if you'd like, we can definitely chat. :)

It's unfortunate because I feel this happens to all of us- humans in general, but in this case I'm referring to empaths. I find at some point we develop compassion fatigue.

I'm living with compassion fatigue atm & sometimes I just can't allow myself to give my emotions space to be. It sucks because I'll come off cold/uncaring which is the opposite of my character. I just find that I'm losing the capacity to take on any more.

wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Peanuts aren't nuts! They're seeds!
Jan 21, 2021
Mhmm. HUGS. The plight of the healer. I'm sorry you're feeling so exhausted, it's a isolating feeling when you turn around & no ones there. You PM me if you'd like, we can definitely chat. :)

It's unfortunate because I feel this happens to all of us- humans in general, but in this case I'm referring to empaths. I find at some point we develop compassion fatigue.

I'm living with compassion fatigue atm & sometimes I just can't allow myself to give my emotions space to be. It sucks because I'll come off cold/uncaring which is the opposite of my character. I just find that I'm losing the capacity to take on any more.
wow, SAME, SAME, SAME. You're speaking my mind. Compassion fatigue is real and it makes me feel like I am not myself.