anorang

anorang

Aug 17, 2024
For the last 5 years, I've been having this chest pain that I'm sure isn't caused by some physical illness. I didn't do anything about it, and I haven't told anyone about it. I didn't realize how much it had negatively affected my life, so much to the point that I had to drop out of college. I never told anyone the real reason but I always think that I'm not suitable for college because I'm just lazy and don't really like socializing. Still, I don't want to disappoint my parents, so in the end, I give it another shot, and I apply to another college this year. Just to make them happy...and I honestly hate it. And I hate myself, because I know that deep inside they're disappointed in me. I'm a failure, a burden, and I want to die.

But,hey! Let's get back on track. I vent a little bit up there. I didn't mean this to be a vent post. So yeah, I have this chest pain, and when it's really bad, it makes it hard to breathe. It's like a panic attack, I guess? This used to happen when I'm alone, but lately it's also happened when I was hanging out with my friends and I had to excuse myself. and now it's got really bad and has become a daily occurance. I've looked up the symptoms online, and the answer I got is that I have anxiety. I've never gone to a psychiatrist or a psychologist, so I can only assume. What do you guys think?

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep
Gangrel

Gangrel

Experienced
Jul 25, 2024
What are you thinking about when you are having this pain on the chest? because my anxiety makes me really nervous and it hurts my chest as well.

Grumble

Grumble

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
Your breathing is the first thing I'd look at. Short-breathing (aka hyperventilation) can cause this.

With hyperventilation, your body feels like it needs more oxygen, but what's actually happening is the body is being overwhelmed with oxygen, and what it really needs is carbon dioxide. So, you'd want to consciously slow down your breathing in order to allow your carbon dioxide levels to build back up. If you Google "breathing exercises", there are a lot of tips to be found about this.

This can be a persistent, debilitating symptom.

With that said, it would be advisable to run these symptoms by a doctor, at a minimum to at least rule out physical causes.

anorang

anorang

Aug 17, 2024
What are you thinking about when you are having this pain on the chest? because my anxiety makes me really nervous and it hurts my chest as well.
just thinking about the usual self loathing, uncertainty of the future, the absurdity of life, the suffering, suicide , and more and more. Or to be more specific, right now, I'm just scared about college again. I just feel isolated from everyone.

• Love
Reactions: Gangrel
Gangrel

Gangrel

Experienced
Jul 25, 2024
just thinking about the usual self loathing, uncertainty of the future, the absurdity of life, the suffering, suicide , and more and more. Or to be more specific, right now, I'm just scared about college again. I just feel isolated from everyone.
I think you definetly have strong anxiety, you should really seek a doctor and ask for meds against that

anorang

anorang

Aug 17, 2024
Your breathing is the first thing I'd look at. Short-breathing (aka hyperventilation) can cause this.

With hyperventilation, your body feels like it needs more oxygen, but what's actually happening is the body is being overwhelmed with oxygen, and what it really needs is carbon dioxide. So, you'd want to consciously slow down your breathing in order to allow your carbon dioxide levels to build back up. If you Google "breathing exercises", there are a lot of tips to be found about this.

This can be a persistent, debilitating symptom.

With that said, it would be advisable to run these symptoms by a doctor, at a minimum to at least rule out physical causes.
I see. thanks.

opheliaoveragain

opheliaoveragain

Eating Disordered Junkie
Jun 2, 2024
For the last 5 years, I've been having this chest pain that I'm sure isn't caused by some physical illness. I didn't do anything about it, and I haven't told anyone about it. I didn't realize how much it had negatively affected my life, so much to the point that I had to drop out of college. I never told anyone the real reason but I always think that I'm not suitable for college because I'm just lazy and don't really like socializing. Still, I don't want to disappoint my parents, so in the end, I give it another shot, and I apply to another college this year. Just to make them happy...and I honestly hate it. And I hate myself, because I know that deep inside they're disappointed in me. I'm a failure, a burden, and I want to die.

But,hey! Let's get back on track. I vent a little bit up there. I didn't mean this to be a vent post. So yeah, I have this chest pain, and when it's really bad, it makes it hard to breathe. It's like a panic attack, I guess? This used to happen when I'm alone, but lately it's also happened when I was hanging out with my friends and I had to excuse myself. and now it's got really bad and has become a daily occurance. I've looked up the symptoms online, and the answer I got is that I have anxiety. I've never gone to a psychiatrist or a psychologist, so I can only assume. What do you guys think?
30+ year have of PTSD, panic disorder etc, chest pains are *normal during an anxiety attack or a more intense version, a panic attack. For it to constantly hurt simply over anxiety may not be the only answer esp for that length of time. Esp since you mentioned the environment changing, if it happened around a certain situation or person I'd be saying different things; I would get an EKG (any ER will do it) and ask them to draw blood to check cardiac levels, just for peace of mind.

Grumble

Grumble

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
Don't ever take benzos.... just trust me
Yes, if you are offered benzos, be extremely careful about these.

Even if you have a doctor pushing them on you and insisting that it's OK to take them daily, be extremely careful and do your research. Know what you're getting into.

If you're thinking about taking a benzo any more frequently than once or twice a month, be sure to research very thoroughly and consider issues relating to tolerance, dependence, addiction, and withdrawal.

anorang

anorang

Aug 17, 2024
30+ year have of PTSD, panic disorder etc, chest pains are *normal during an anxiety attack or a more intense version, a panic attack. For it to constantly hurt simply over anxiety may not be the only answer esp for that length of time. Esp since you mentioned the environment changing, if it happened around a certain situation or person I'd be saying different things; I would get an EKG (any ER will do it) and ask them to draw blood to check cardiac levels, just for peace of mind.
well for the record, back then it wasn't this intense i think. it's only maybe for the last 4 months that it's got crazier. But thank you.
Don't ever take benzos.... just trust me
Yes, if you are offered benzos, be extremely careful about these.

Even if you have a doctor pushing them on you and insisting that it's OK to take them daily, be extremely careful and do your research. Know what you're getting into.

If you're thinking about taking a benzo any more frequently than once or twice a month, be sure to research very thoroughly and consider issues relating to tolerance, dependence, addiction, and withdrawal.
I will keep that in mind.