P

polarbear

attention seeking bi-polar
Oct 11, 2020
does anxiety medication really work?even of they do at first,do they wear off?

Last edited:
_Kaira_

_Kaira_

This Isn't Fine
Oct 2, 2020
They work for some people. All medications come in various dosages. Your body may start becoming used to the medication and thus build a tolerance, you may never have felt any difference since you started taking them. Most medication can take weeks before you start feeling any potential positive effects, if any at all.

Atleast for me, medication doesn't really seem to help at all. Even at high dosages. But do not let any of this stop you if you need it and aren't already on medication.

Last edited:
Reactions: polarbear
R

rt1989526

Paragon
Aug 2, 2020
You'll just become dependent on them and potentially addicted. You should look at natural options like L-theanine, valerian root and stuff like that. Say NO to big pharma

_Kaira_

_Kaira_

This Isn't Fine
Oct 2, 2020
You'll just become dependent on them and potentially addicted. You should look at natural options like L-theanine, valerian root and stuff like that. Say NO to big pharma

True for many. Not all of them. Depends on the kind, such as antidepressants which does have the potential to cause a dependency. I've been on my anxiety meds on high doses for months and was able to stop immediately on my own (can be dangerous) with no problems. Everything effects people differently.

And if medication does help some people long term with no repercussions, more power to them.

Reactions: Deleted member 19654
Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
Klonopin (clonazepam) is perhaps the most powerful antianxiety benzodiazepine, peaking in efficacy four hours after being taken, then clearing the system in around 40 hours.

Xanax (alprazolam) is the speedy reliever. If you're driving on a long strip of highway or crossing a long high bridge and abruptly get seized by a panic attack, pop one in you mouth from a tin Altoids box magnetized to your dashboard, take a swig from your water bottle, and the anxiety can disappear about that quickly (clearing the system completely in the same four hour span clonazepam peaks at).

The more clinically anxious you are, the more powerfully these benzodiazepines counteract that anxiety.

Best handbook to read on anxiety medications is probably the classic 1983 paperback, "The Anxiety Disease" by David V. Sheehan, M D., a friend and colleague of my psychiatrist's.

In 25 years, dependence and addiction has NEVER happened to me. I understand to take them on an as needed basis, then stockpile them when I don't need them. Since November 1996, I have taken two mg clonazepam every night for six months, and also gone over a year without taking any at all. (Over the last 20 years, I don't take it much, although I am allotted 60 clonazepam tablets of 1 mg each month, and 15 scored tablets of alprazolam for emergency relief situations.

Prior to 1996, I tried L-theanine and valerian root. Might as well have been Chinese sawdust or jellybeans.

Watching somebody take a benzodiazepine during an anxiety attack is profound to observe as their respiration slows down, their shoulders drop, and their obvious tension dissolves.

Big pharma is the great hero of my life, while counseling therapists are more subhuman than professional baby rapists. Say NO to psychologists!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: not4us, Bauhaus, polarbear and 2 others
reticen

reticen

Student
Nov 5, 2020
Pregablin and propranolol are non-addictive meds that a doctor will likely prescribe as a first-line treatment. They didn't work for me but doesn't mean they won't work for you.

Reactions: polarbear