Terminally ill

Terminally ill

May 27, 2019
Here is the information Suicide wiki has on Antacids:

Using antacids (also known as acid regulators) is discouraged. The antacid section of Suicide Wiki is provided here only because you will encounter with antacids in the PPH. The PPH recommends decreasing your stomach's fluid volume to make the sodium nitrite absorbed more quickly. This can be accomplished with drugs like ranitidine, famotidine, or cimetidine that reduce the stomach acid quickly. The recommended dose in the PPH is 800mg cimetidine (sold under the brand name Tagamet), which is equivalent to 3 – 4 * 75 mg ranitidine (sold under the brand name Zantac).

Stat dose (30 – 45 minutes before SN intake)

• 800 mg cimetidine (Tagamet)

or

• 3 * 75 mg ranitidine (Zantac)

The PPH previously recommended sodium bicarbonate as absorption accelerator. The PPH argued that sodium bicarbonate would raise the stomach's fluid pH. The raise in stomach's fluid pH hindered loss of consciousness in some patients—although it was expected, given that the blood pressure—lowering effect of orally ingested nitrite was abolished when test persons were pretreated with a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) to raise gastric pH (Montenegro et al., 2016). Similar to sodium bicarbonate, the blood pressure-lowering effect of orally ingested nitrite is abolished by a proton pump inhibitor (Piknova & Schechter, 2017). Since the release of the October 2018 revision, the PPH suggests Tagamet (instead of sodium bicarbonate) and has misguidedly argued "this effect is not related to gastric pH, but rather to the production rate of acid." While the PPH still incorrectly recommends using H2 receptor antagonists, such as cimetidine and ranitidine, simply not using them will result in a more peaceful death, owing to formation of nitric oxide, a vasodilator, in acidic (Malko, Kucernak & Lopes, 2016) gastric environment—in pH less than 6.51 (Pereira, Ferreira, Rocha, Barbosa & Laranjinha, 2013)—as shown in pathway A[1|2].

Without antacid: 3NaNO2 + 2HCl → 2NaCl + NaNO3 + 2NO + H2O

Questions:

Why does Suicide Wiki discourage Antacids and says " While the PPH still incorrectly recommends using H2 receptor antagonists, such as cimetidine and ranitidine, simply not using them will result in a more peaceful death, owing to formation of nitric oxide"

2. In Stans guide and people here do use Antacids in most cases from what I have seen. I am only able to find Famotidine in my country. The info I found on Famotidine is the following: Famotidine prooved to be 9X more potent than Ranitidine and 32 X more potent than Cimetidine. The dosage are is 40 mgs/tablet. Would I take one or two of these?

3. Since all the information on antacids is contradictory in Wiki suicide vs PPH what would be better? Take Famotidine above or take an Acid Reducer-I can only find RENNIE tabs and that does NOT have Magnsium Hidroxide as recommended by Stan but the following ingredients: calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate, alginic acid amongst other ingredients

So what do you suggest to do, what would you do? Thanks

Attachments

• famotidine.jpg
    famotidine.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: Quarky00
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I don't see a problem with it, especially if it's what you have available. Personally, I'm going with Tagamet/Cimetidine.

Reactions: Ennuimortel, Terminally ill and Quarky00
Quarky00

Quarky00

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2019
Antacids are the least important part in SN .

Members wrote a lot about it , did you read FAQ ? :)

Reactions: Terminally ill
Terminally ill

Terminally ill

May 27, 2019
Yes I did read the document and i saw they are the least important. Still, I wanted to have all 3 of the meds. I did buy and do have Famotidine 40 mgs /tab. I wanted to make sure that I am helping the process by taking it and not make it worse like WIKI says. And I wanted the opinion on the dosage of Famotidine considering its that strong.Still not sure if one or 2 tabs, seems like nobody is using Famotidine for the process.

• Hugs
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed and Quarky00
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
Some information in the wiki was tampered with awhile back. I am not interested in the info there, so I haven't dug into specifics, but that's why most prefer our SS guides instead.

You mentioned wanting to have all three. Why? Only one is necessary. I'm not sure why Famotidine isn't used more, honestly, but Ranitidine is off the market because of cancer scares and Cimetidine is cheap and easy to get in a lot of places.

Reactions: Meditation guide and Quarky00
Terminally ill

Terminally ill

May 27, 2019
I meant all 3 as in SN, AE and Antacid. Not all 3 Antacids.

Quarky00

Quarky00

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2019
I'd use just Famotidine -- in fact this is what I was buying until my Tagamet arrived (sooner than expected) :)

H2 acid regulators are slightly better than antacid

Reactions: Meditation guide and Terminally ill
Terminally ill

Terminally ill

May 27, 2019
I'd use just Famotidine -- in fact this is what I was buying until my Tagamet arrived (sooner than expected) :)

H2 acid regulators are slightly better than antacid
And what dose of Famotidine would u have gone with? one tab of 40 mgs or 2 tabs of 40 mgs? I dont want to overkill either( as if thats not what I.m doing)

• Hugs
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
@Terminally ill , you've got a good BS detector and I appreciate how you researched and laid it all out.

I'd suggest testing the Famotidine, try one, later try two, and see how you respond. If it is so much more potent than the others, though, I don't see that double is needed. Seems like doubling the others is to reach the potency of Famotidine. Or you may want to go with the Wiki advice -- this is when it becomes a personal judgment call based on all available (and conflicting) information.

I'm not sure what I would do. You've raised some valid points and I'll have to grapple with them.

Reactions: Terminally ill
H

Heart of Ice

Chillin'
Sep 26, 2019
:haha: It's constantly used here ;)

Follow Stan's directions re antacids , I think he was specific , double the recommended or something
Stan recommended double dose on the box but never specified where he got it from. I don't see any reason to go above the recommended dose on the box.

EDIT: Although I guess if all goes well you might not care about any possible side effects, so I'm guessing going over the dose can't hurt either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quarky00 and Terminally ill
timetofly

timetofly

Student
Aug 8, 2020
The same question whether to use antacids (H2 antagonists, etc.) or not was really bothering me too. The info below from Suicide Wiki seems correct:

While the PPH still incorrectly recommends using H2 receptor antagonists, such as cimetidine and ranitidine, simply not using them will result in a more peaceful death, owing to formation of nitric oxide, a vasodilator, in acidic (Malko, Kucernak & Lopes, 2016) gastric environment—in pH less than 6.51 (Pereira, Ferreira, Rocha, Barbosa & Laranjinha, 2013)—as shown in pathway A[1|2].

Same conclusion from another source:

ScienceDirect said:
We found that the increases in gastric pH [...] significantly reduced the hypotensive effects of sodium nitrite.

Our results suggest that part of the hypotensive effects of oral sodium nitrite may be due to its conversion to NO in the acidified environment of the stomach. The increase in gastric pH [...] blunts part of the beneficial cardiovascular effects of dietary nitrate and nitrite.

Highlights
► The nitrate–nitrite–NO pathway is a physiological source of NO. ► Nitrite exerts antihypertensive effects. ► Nitrite is reduced to NO under the acidic conditions of the stomach. ► Omeprazole increases gastric pH and reduces the hypotensive effects of nitrite. ► Omeprazole may blunt beneficial cardiovascular effects of dietary nitrite.

Personally, I'll go without antacids as I want the most peaceful process possible. If someone has something to add to this, if I'm missing something, I'll gladly listen, because I'm still only 99% sure.

Reactions: LonelyDude15 and GravityUtilizer
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
The same question whether to use antacids (H2 antagonists, etc.) or not was really bothering me too. The info below from Suicide Wiki seems correct:

Same conclusion from another source:

Personally, I'll go without antacids as I want the most peaceful process possible. If someone has something to add to this, if I'm missing something, I'll gladly listen, because I'm still only 99% sure.

I'm not a chemist or anything even remotely close, and this kind of thing has always been out of my comfort zone. I've tried to research it several times, but I don't really science well.

That said...

Reference #1: Says nitric oxide forms in pH less than 6.51

It also claims not using acid regulators will be more peaceful. But how? Isn't this contradictory?

Acid regulators increase gastric PH, which means SN won't convert to nitric oxide if you use them. Right?

So if you don't use them, you will experience the conversion.

And you don't want that, do you? Nitric oxide is beneficial. It opens blood vessels, causing oxygen to travel easier through the body. Which is exactly what we do not want. So isn't it better to use them, raise PH levels, and avoid nitric oxide as much as possible?

Reference #2 says: "The increase in gastric pH [...] blunts part of the beneficial cardiovascular effects of dietary nitrate and nitrite."

The word "dietary" is key. Nitrites are natural in some foods, and I'm guessing that study is looking at things from a health standpoint, not an ending your life one. The beneficial effects they mention are the conversion of SN to nitric oxide. So what that's saying is increase gastric PH, you do not make nitric oxide. Bad if you want health benefits, but good for our purpose. That's what we want in this case, isn't it?

So the way I'm reading them, both references support the idea of using antacids or acid reducers to help SN work the way we want.

It seems the main argument against acid regulators is that they might fight low blood pressure. But other drugs taken with SN lower blood pressure more. So I think that's a moot point and can be ignored.

We also don't want SN hanging out in the stomach too long to begin with. It needs to empty quickly into the intestines to be absorbed. That's one reason Meto, specifically, is recommended. It's an antiemetic, but more importantly, it helps the stomach empty. So even if the PH level is raised, it's not in the stomach long enough to make much difference. It's more important to have the SN still be SN and not NO when it gets to the intestines.

I'm still not seeing how skipping any sort of antacid or acid reducer makes things more peaceful.

Forgive me if I'm wrong. It's 5am. Am I just being stupid and completely misunderstanding the way all this works?

I really, really, really want someone to correct me if I'm wrong. I feel like I'm missing something. This part has always been hard to wrap my head around.

What I AM confident of is the entire method/protocol is like a puzzle where each piece does a specific thing to work together to make things as peaceful as possible. Nothing is there without a reason. So we also have to look at everything as a whole, not just pick it apart. A common theme in cases where people have bad experiences is substitutions and omissions.

Reactions: Happy deathday!, timetofly, GravityUtilizer and 1 other person
GravityUtilizer

GravityUtilizer

Born to lose
May 22, 2020
Yeah I noticed the Wiki discourages antacids. Not sure what to think.

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
Yeah I noticed the Wiki discourages antacids. Not sure what to think.
For awhile, there were reports of people tampering with the wiki with bad intentions. I suspect this stems from that. I'm not aware of anyone doing much to sort it out. That's why SS guides are more commonly referenced.

Reactions: Meditation guide
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
Along those lines, SN causes acidosis. Basically too much acid in the blood. A symptom of that is severe stomach pain.

Any diabetic who has experienced ketoacidosis has felt this pain. It's really bad, and I can see why it could cause an aborted attempt.

Another argument for making this whole process happen quickly and just following the plan. People do not feel the unpleasant parts when they're unconscious. The people who report the side effects like pain were obviously conscious for too long for some reason. The majority of them deviated from the recommended protocol in some way.

Edit: I was responding to a post that vanished. Unsure why, but I won't quote it.

Last edited:
timetofly

timetofly

Student
Aug 8, 2020
It seems the main argument against acid regulators is that they might fight low blood pressure. But other drugs taken with SN lower blood pressure more. So I think that's a moot point and can be ignored.

After reading a lot on this topic for the last couple of days, I agree with your reasoning. With antacids death comes faster and with propranolol (and benzos, if one has them, as they potentiate each other) low blood pressure is ensured, so unconsciousness is reached faster too. The best of both worlds, so to speak.

Thanks for your input!

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
What I worry about most is excruciating stomach pain from the reaction of sodium nitrite with the hydrochloric acid in the stomach, creating nitric acid. It won't happen with most people, but I've had stomach problems and would take famotidine, which I take every day anyway.

Famotidine works extremely fast and if I take it when I start to eat I never have stomach pain or heartburn.

It's uncertainties like this that cause me to try to gather as much information as possible on what people are taking with SN and how they react.

Reactions: LonelyDude15, Rue89 and timetofly
R

rt1989526

Paragon
Aug 2, 2020
So confused.

Reactions: Lovestolearn and LonelyDude15
timetofly

timetofly

Student
Aug 8, 2020
What I worry about most is excruciating stomach pain
It was bothering me too, seeing how some have it and others don't. That's why I've finally decided that an H2 antagonist is a must and not something to skip and your input is very valuable in this regard, glad that it works fast, I was a little worried about it's speed.

So if we want SN to be as peaceful as possible: antiemetics (prokinetic as meto), H2 antagonists, propranolol (and benzos if possible, timed correctly), paracetamol (increases the risk of methemoglobinemia, helps with headache) are advised.

Rue89

Rue89

Visionary
Feb 10, 2020
What I worry about most is excruciating stomach pain from the reaction of sodium nitrite with the hydrochloric acid in the stomach, creating nitric acid. It won't happen with most people, but I've had stomach problems and would take famotidine, which I take every day anyway.

Famotidine works extremely fast and if I take it when I start to eat I never have stomach pain or heartburn.

It's uncertainties like this that cause me to try to gather as much information as possible on what people are taking with SN and how they react.
Stomach pain is one of the things I'm most worried about with SN too.

If you don't mind me asking, how much famotidine do you take? Seeing comments here about it being stronger than other acid reducers I'm not sure if I should take Stan's recommended double dose. The tablets I got are 10mg.

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
If you don't mind me asking, how much famotidine do you take?
The standard dose is 20mg twice a day just before meals. Sometimes I take it 3 times a day. No side effects.
I just read that they think it might help with covid somehow, maybe preventing it or making it not as bad.

Reactions: Rue89
LonelyDude15

LonelyDude15

Currently Spiraling
Sep 26, 2020
I'm slightly confused. I'm hearing that the point against antacids is mute because metoclopramide does the same thing as well? Famotidine (Pepcid) is the only antacid of the three available in Canada. I was planning on taking it to help reduce excess acid and make the process easier but this thread has contradictory information. If antacids aren't recommended then why is it still on the suicide wiki?

A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
I can see you are confused. Pepcid (antiemetic) is a completely different class of medication than meto (antiemetic and speeds stomach emptying).

The only thing that is essential is SN.

• Yay!
Reactions: Shu
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
I can see you are confused. Pepcid (antiemetic) is a completely different class of medication than meto (antiemetic and speeds stomach emptying).
Is famotidine an antiemetic? Or is it a H2 blocker antacid?

Ingredients in Pepcid: Each tablet for oral administration contains either 20 mg or 40 mg of famotidine and the following inactive ingredients: hydroxypropyl cellulose, hypromellose, iron oxides, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, corn starch, talc, titanium dioxide, and carnauba wax.

I take Pepcid for GERD. I don't think it's an antiemetic.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonelyDude15 and Sherri
aminend

aminend

Warlock
May 24, 2020
I've famotidine 40mg. I dont know how much I must take. One 40mg famotidine or 2 of that. Any one know?

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
I've famotidine 40mg. I dont know how much I must take. One 40mg famotidine or 2 of that. Any one know?
I don't think that matters. Many people take nothing at all. This is not something where there is a precise formula. I haven't read of anyone taking famotidine although I would take it myself since I am used to taking it anyway. I like how it is so effective for my acid problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonelyDude15 and aminend
justanotherstar

justanotherstar

Life: you can’t fire me, I quit.
Nov 23, 2020
Standard is a double dose of anti acid from all the reading I've done but I'm not really sure it matters all that much as long as you have the right grade and amount of SN :-)

Reactions: aminend
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
Standard is a double dose of anti acid
Yes but what is a double dose of famotidine? I take a 20 mg. tablet twice a day. I didn't even know they make 40 mg. pills.
Pepside, which contains famotidine, is only 10 mg, plus another kind of antacid. So really there is no set of instructions anywhere for dosages, and SN works the same way regardless.