• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

K

Kfoe!12

the grind
Mar 21, 2018
Guess the time has come, huh.
Let's talk about anime.
Currently watching the first season of JoJo 2012 with a friend and I have to say, even though I've lost my passion for anime lately, it sure as fuck is a huge reason to why I'm still alive.
Go ahead and recommend animes.

Bonus points:
Favourite anime and favourite genre

Bonus round:
If you could kill one anime character, who would it be?

L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
I watch anime (although not much recently because of anxiety and not concentrating .. etc ).

I started with Naruto and One piece about 15 years ago (if we speak about Japanese with subtitles). I watched many others before but as a dub like Slam Dunk and Captain Tsubasa. I loved Pokémon and watched it in Japanese.

I'll say some anime titles because I can't remember everything lol: Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood, HxH both versions, Magi are some of my favorite.

I'll watch almost any genre but I think the favourtie will be fantasy, adventure, action. I love other genres for sure.

The one character that I ultimately hate and want to kill is Sasuke.

M

millefeui

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2018
I would like anime more if most weren't full of disgusting fanservice, barely dressed young girls ("lolis"), sexual content everywhere and a ton of other cringey shit. That said, I do enjoy a few series, such as Steins;Gate, Death Note, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, and a few Studio Ghibli works such as Mononoki Hime, Psycho-Pass (would have been better without the uncomfortable rape stuff) and Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Spirited Away).

Also, Bleach was my thing when I was a teenager, even though it was trash. For as beautiful as Kubo Tite's artworks and character designs were, his storytelling was comparatively as bad.

K

Kfoe!12

the grind
Mar 21, 2018
I would like anime more if most weren't full of disgusting fanservice, barely dressed young girls ("lolis"), sexual content everywhere and a ton of other cringey shit. That said, I do enjoy a few series, such as Steins;Gate, Death Note, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, and a few Studio Ghibli works such as Mononoki Hime, Psycho-Pass (would have been better without the uncomfortable rape stuff) and Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Spirited Away).

Also, Bleach was my thing when I was a teenager, even though it was trash. For as beautiful as Kubo Tite's artworks and character designs were, his storytelling was comparatively as bad.

Basically, my current take on anime is as you stated, I try to avoid hyper criticising everything though.
There is a shit ton of good anime, there is just way more shit anime.

Bleach, death note, code geass, claymore, and gundam 00 are my favorites. I recommend all of them :D

Since I haven't been on the anime train since the code geass s3 was announced, any idea if it's out yet or when it starts?

I'll say some anime titles because I can't remember everything lol: Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood, HxH both versions, Magi are some of my favorite.

I dropped fma because I was watching it just as my ADD was starting to go to shit.
You mention not watching anime because of anxiety and what not, I feel the exact same but I'm coming back now, hopefully.
It was my ADD that made me unable to concentrate during I watched, the same thing has happened to books.

L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
I dropped fma because I was watching it just as my ADD was starting to go to shit.
You mention not watching anime because of anxiety and what not, I feel the exact same but I'm coming back now, hopefully.
It was my ADD that made me unable to concentrate during I watched, the same thing has happened to books.

I have another problem that happens the other times when I'm less pained which is anhedonia. There is just no peace for me and the anhedonic state is very ugly that I wish pain to come to distract me then I could do something but if there is much pain I can't do anything also. I'm fucked up, its a complicated thing and I just want to end this life and this madness.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
M

millefeui

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2018
I just don't usually have the patience to swim in a sea of shit to find one or two good anime.

L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
I just don't usually have the patience to swim in a sea of shit to find one or two good anime.

I'm the opposite (but currently can't watch anything), I watched many bad anime in the past but there are other good aspects for me like learning language and new words, enjoying soundtracks and opening/ending, liking some characters..etc.

totallyanonv

totallyanonv

Mar 30, 2018
Ok so my current fav is Daily Lives of High School Boys. It's a simple anime but it gave me the laughs so yea.

Other stuff that stuck to me is Pet Girl of Sakurasou (despite the sometimes lewdy scenes, it made me cry somehow), Naruto (I finished the anime the other day, finished the manga in its release online), ReLIFE, Toradora, Paranoia Agent, Paprika, Detective Conan (the old eps), Akame Ga Kill

If it's not obvious enough, I like Slice of Life and Comedy genres more, with some Action too.

And if I can kill an anime character, I pick Esdeath from Akame Ga Kill

FullFat

FullFat

^best order at Micky-D's ever
Apr 27, 2018
I'm a bit out of place here, lol, but I thought this might be a good place to find recs. I got off the anime train many years ago, but my friend is still into it, so I was hoping I could hop back on.

My all time favorite was Outlaw Star, but I tried to watch that again one time and couldn't stand it. Also wasn't a fan of the popular Death Note series. I couldn't take it seriously. My pet peeve with anime seems to be the exaggerated emotional reactions of the characters. The equivalent for live action would be overacting. I also regularly watched Inuyasha (to my shame), Tenchi Muyo, and Gundam Wing (and all the spin-offs). The first two are probably not something I would be able to watch again, but maybe Gundam Wing would be okay. I don't remember it enough to say.

Anybody know of a series where the characters are more subdued?

Asylla

Asylla

Apr 16, 2018
I used to watch a lot of drama anime like Angel Beats, Clannad and Your Lie in April. Sad stuff. I eventually ran out of sad anime to watch.

I don't know why I liked it so much. Maybe it has to do with the fact that drama anime tend to have more convincing and realistic stories in order to make you empathize with the characters. Or maybe feeling empathy for fictional characters made me feel more human. Who knows.

FullFat

FullFat

Apr 27, 2018
I used to watch a lot of drama anime like Angel Beats, Clannad and Your Lie in April. Sad stuff. I eventually ran out of sad anime to watch.

I don't know why I liked it so much. Maybe it has to do with the fact that drama anime tend to have more convincing and realistic stories in order to make you empathize with the characters. Or maybe feeling empathy for fictional characters made me feel more human. Who knows.
What is drama anime per se? Less action/fantasy than the usual?

Asylla

Asylla

Apr 16, 2018
What is drama anime per se? Less action/fantasy than the usual?

Drama is a genre that relies on the emotional and relational development of characters. In order to do that, the characters need to be realistic to some degree. The story can still have elements of action/fantasy as long as there's enough emotional/relational character development for it to be considered drama.

Last edited:
FullFat

FullFat

Apr 27, 2018
Drama is a genre that relies on the emotional and relational development of characters. In order to do that, the characters need to be realistic to some degree. The story can still have elements of action/fantasy as long as there's enough emotional/relational characters development for it to be considered drama.

That sounds more like my cup of tea then. It depends on how much comic relief there is. I've never been a fan, not in books, movies, or shows. Most of the time, I can't help but feel that it just gets in the way. I'd rather pause the movie or set the book down if I'm having trouble coping with the angst.

Asylla

Asylla

Apr 16, 2018
That sounds more like my cup of tea then. It depends on how much comic relief there is. I've never been a fan, not in books, movies, or shows. Most of the time, I can't help but feel that it just gets in the way. I'd rather pause the movie or set the book down if I'm having trouble coping with the angst.
I agree. Authors shouldn't feel responsible for making us feel these emotions. Fiction, or art in general, was never meant to create strictly positive emotions. Comic relief, even when done well, tend to feel a bit out of place to me.

Reactions: FullFat
FullFat

FullFat

Apr 27, 2018
But Inuyasha was decent tho lol
My friends have given me crap about liking it, so I thought it wasn't in with the anime "cool kids", so to speak. Ironically, it was my friends in middle school who got me started.

totallyanonv

totallyanonv

Mar 30, 2018
My friends have given me crap about liking it, so I thought it wasn't in with the anime "cool kids", so to speak. Ironically, it was my friends in middle school who got me started.

Huh that's interesting. When it was showing on tv here, almost every kid was watching it lol

Belit667

Belit667

Experienced
Aug 2, 2020
Claymore, Darwin's Game, DanMachi, Gantz, Shiki, KILL la KILL, Elfen Lied.

Kae

Kae

Aug 5, 2020
noir is perhaps my favourite anime of all time, from when my dad showed it to me when i was 13 - a story about two assasins who fall in love - one must kill the other whom suffers with amnesia and cannot remember who she is. the show gets quite dark and can make you cry at times. i can't recommend it enough honestly

ReverendGreen

ReverendGreen

Sleepy
Jun 27, 2019
Right now I'm watching through all of Masaaki Yuasa's directed stuff, and I just finished The Tatami Galaxy. It's about a college student trying to have a decent college experience in several different clubs but constantly failing at it.
also he's kinda trapped in a time loop.
Might be the best anime I've seen but I also don't watch a lot of anime.

Reactions: Belit667