• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

rainwillneverstop

rainwillneverstop

Global Mod | Serious Health Hazard
Jul 12, 2022
Disclaimer: This is written by @Dot. I am just being the voice so accessible to more people.

The use of animals for mental health and well-being

Lots of people find animals very comforting for different reasons so we have put together a thread of different ways to access animals either online or directly - this could be just for your own benefit or to help animals or sometimes both can help each other.

Anecdotal and more formal research suggests that animal therapy can help people with different medical and mental health conditions, and there are the obvious examples of service animals who help people through panic attacks and flashbacks.

Some people find just looking at and watching animals to be soothing, while many other people say that relationships with animals, helps to keep them calm and also give them a purpose.

Types of "animal therapy" described in thread will be
  • Volunteering and sitting with animals
  • Fostering and adoption
  • Finding animals in your area for formal and informal animal based interventions (cuddles) and support.

For those who want quick access to animals online, there is the pets megathread in which people share pictures of their pets for people to 'coo' over and enjoy.

There are also live cams and livestreams online where people can watch animals of different kind online - this can be like ASMR for some people or just a nice distraction. These vary between wild animals and litters of puppies or kittens and more.

For people looking to volunteer with animals there are different ways to do so:

Volunteering and shelters

There are different ways to volunteer with animals. Some people take shelter animals for walks, others help with basic training like teaching dogs basic commands like "sit," and "stay" while others just spend time sitting with animals to help them socialize and become more comfortable around humans, which can help to make them more ready for adoption.

Some people read to animals which can be soothing for animals, but also good for people who have anxiety around speaking etc - so it can be mutually beneficial for both. Also people can learn how them just existing can be good for these animals to have around.

These types of volunteering can be low-commitment and flexible for a person who struggle with how they are feeling on any given day.

Here is an example of someone who sits with animals.

Other ways to work with animals could be looking up local stables etc or there's also websites where people look for volunteers who will help them out with animals and outside projects.

There could also be people in your local area who would just like help with walking their dogs and that could be mutually beneficial also.

Fostering animals:

For people who want a pet, but who cannot commit to long-term adoption for various reasons, or who are nervous of the idea of getting a pet because they do not know what the experience will be like for them there's also the option of fostering.

Fostering is only medium commitment because you will not be expected to keep the animal. An animal can also benefit from you testing the waters with a pet in your home.

Just be aware that some foster animals might need some extra care, because of the environments they might have come from.

Animal therapy and interventions:

It's worth looking online for animal interventions in your area, or asking you doctor for a referral to animal therapy if it's available. Otherwise, there are many people who offer their animals for emotional support - these can be found by websites that they have registered with. There might be equivalents to the following websites in different countries.

Or sometimes just posting in places like Facebook community pages, asking for anyone willing to offer time with their animals. There are often people who are more than happy to help - I have personally used this method in the past.

Feel free to add other ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
CuriosityAndCat

CuriosityAndCat

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.
Nov 2, 2023
I've got a b&g macaw. I don't recommend them. He did save me from suiciding several times, but by attacking me. I strongly recommend one of the intelligent breeds of dog. They seem to be able to do similar things, but with compassion.

• Hugs
Reactions: pole
recat

recat

That is my brain.
Mar 1, 2024
My cat is like a little angel for me, he and his silly cat antics are just my sunshine and joy in the midst of the pain

• Hugs
H

helpls

Mar 2, 2024
I think my pet bird can literally tell when I plan to do it lol. He's only like 2 months old and yet he looks like he cares more about me than everyone else combined.

• Hugs
h.s.p.

h.s.p.

Please tell mom this is not her fault
Dec 8, 2023
This thread is just plain beautiful. Thanks to you and Dot for such a sweet thing

C

Chacha

Feb 4, 2024
I always remember at my stay in the psych ward when they brought around the therapy dog I almost broke down crying. I missed my ones at home so much.
That is nice that the ward had therapy dogs which hospital it was. I would love to have a therapy dog and would like a Bernese Mountain dog