sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I'm at an IHOP right now in Maryland (I'm going to DC to see the cherry blossoms) and everything just seems so weird. Even the normies seem more like NPCs than usual. Normies be norming

Reactions: Rocinante, Dliena, leavingthesoultrap and 5 others
4am

4am

there’s nothing for you (it/its)
Dec 14, 2023
what's americana

Reactions: marchshift, Homo erectus and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
what's americana
Just like America in general. There's something called Pax Americana

"Americana is any collection of materials and things concerning or characteristic of the United States or of the American people."

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocinante, Aplev, leavingthesoultrap and 5 others
MyChoiceAlone

MyChoiceAlone

sleep deprived and/or drunk
Jul 23, 2023
how can it be weird if you grew up there? i kind of long to go back. there are many places here on earth that are worse

but try living in a place like schenectady which i had for 3 yrs

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: marchshift, Homo erectus and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
how can it be weird if you grew up there? i kind of long to go back. there are many places here on earth that are worse
America is very diverse. Each part of it is unique. Rural vs urban vs suburban America is very different. Small town vs suburbs vs big city is like night and day. I'm in rural Maryland right now, and I grew up in the suburban Northeast. The normies in Maryland seem to be even more like normies than the ones in NYC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocinante, Forveleth, leavingthesoultrap and 2 others
MyChoiceAlone

MyChoiceAlone

Jul 23, 2023
ok i'll give you that. have a sis in va and drove through maryland a few times. they do seem a bit off lol

Reactions: Homo erectus and sserafim
Namarupa

Namarupa

Student
Jan 24, 2024
There's something profoundly disturbing, if not surreal, about the hyper-consumerist culture of the modern era. Even the sheer brutality and ugliness of the third world might be preferable, as it doesn't do much to distract you about the true cruelty of nature. I felt similar perverse disguises when visiting Japan.

Reactions: $crim, Homo erectus, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 2 others
MyChoiceAlone

MyChoiceAlone

Jul 23, 2023
Even the sheer brutality and ugliness of the third world might be preferable,
totally f'n weird. they procreate the most as well

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023

but try living in a place like schenectady which i had for 3 yrs
Why do you long to go back? I hate America

Reactions: Rocinante and Homo erectus
MyChoiceAlone

MyChoiceAlone

Jul 23, 2023
more options. this place is baby proofed
to be more specific, i'd know how to act, know how to talk which i have no idea how to do here. sure i can curse like the locals but it won't sound genuine. and yes, you can't really get anything anywhere as far as i can see
Why do you long to go back? I hate America
it's where i grew up. best of my times were there. currently in asia. hate it here

Last edited:
  • Informative
Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
Certainly the American dream, it's false at this point.
There are also a lot of differences in your country that are strange to me as a European. However, this does not change the fact that it is a very good country to live in. Not for everyone and not everywhere, but life can be very good.

If I were to live in the USA, I would avoid places like New York, Washington, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, etc.
Generally large, dirty and crowded cities.

In general, the states I like the most are: Florida, Texas, Alabama, Wyoming, and Alaska. And maybe a few others.
Of course, all provided that I am rich :)

• Informative
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
  • Yay!
Reactions: sserafim, $crim, Homo erectus and 2 others
Malaria

Malaria

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead
Feb 24, 2024
Besides that one time I lived in South America as a small child, I've lived in the US most of my life and I also feel very alien from it. I live in a big city though, and from what I understand, it's not uncommon for people who live in big cities to feel alienated.

• Hugs
Reactions: MyChoiceAlone, Homo erectus, Blurry_Buildings and 1 other person
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Well I mean, from their perspective you're the NPC normie normin' it up.

They only seem normal because you are looking at them from your perspective, an outsiders perspective. You aren't them so you have no clue what's going through their minds, lol.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Aplev, wondering&wandering, MyChoiceAlone and 5 others
4am

4am

there’s nothing for you (it/its)
Dec 14, 2023

They only seem normal because you are looking at them from your perspective, an outsiders perspective. You aren't them so you have no clue what's going through their minds, lol.

• Yay!
  • Wow
Reactions: Aplev, wondering&wandering, MyChoiceAlone and 7 others
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023

I don't think I look or seem like a NPC normie lol, but yeah I guess so…I have no idea what other people are thinking

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Rocinante, MyChoiceAlone, Homo erectus and 1 other person
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
  • Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: $crim, wondering&wandering, MyChoiceAlone and 6 others
Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
To me the weird thing about america is it's development. There are some areas that are extremely nice with pristine streets and nice libraries and some areas that look similar to an unstable 3rd world nation with buildings literally riddled with bullet holes and rampant homelessness and drug addiction, often in extremely close proximity to each other.

America will let you achieve some of the world's greatest wealth and it will also let you sink into absolute poverty without any care in the world.

• Love
Reactions: MyChoiceAlone, Tears in Rain, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 1 other person
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
To me the weird thing about america is it's development. There are some areas that are extremely nice with pristine streets and nice libraries and some areas that look similar to an unstable 3rd world nation with buildings literally riddled with bullet holes and rampant homelessness and drug addiction, often in extremely close proximity to each other.

America will let you achieve some of the world's greatest wealth and it will also let you sink into absolute poverty without any care in the world.
That's what you get when you live in a capitalistic hellscape. I'm not American, I'm from their up stairs neighbour and shits pretty bad here too.

Reactions: MyChoiceAlone and sserafim
Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
That's what you get when you live in a capitalistic hellscape. I'm not American, I'm from their up stairs neighbour and shits pretty bad here too.
good point lol although Trump is predicted to win this next election so maybe Canada will get a bunch of americans trying to desperately get in again...

Reactions: sserafim and EvisceratedJester
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
good point lol although Trump is predicted to win this next election so maybe Canada will get a bunch of americans trying to desperately get in again...
God, I hope he doesn't win. I think we've already been seeing an influx of Americans. I've been seeing a lot of American license plates lately. Sadly, here in Ontario, we have our own Trump to deal with.

• Love
Reactions: MyChoiceAlone, sserafim and Blurry_Buildings
Final_Choice

Final_Choice

Mage
Aug 3, 2023
I'm not from the US, but I am, it's complicated... really only lived a few different US states for a couple of years during middle school and now in college. I'll probably stay after college, way better than where I'm from but I completely agree.

Reactions: sserafim and Blurry_Buildings
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
America is very diverse. Each part of it is unique. Rural vs urban vs suburban America is very different. Small town vs suburbs vs big city is like night and day. I'm in rural Maryland right now, and I grew up in the suburban Northeast. The normies in Maryland seem to be even more like normies than the ones in NYC.
I've lived in most parts of the country (and overseas). I will say, nothing to do in the Midwest except drink yourself into a stupor with the hicks.
God, I hope he doesn't win. I think we've already been seeing an influx of Americans. I've been seeing a lot of American license plates lately. Sadly, here in Ontario, we have our own Trump to deal with.
I don't know many Americans left during Trump or Bush or Biden. Many people say things like, "If he wins, I'm moving to New Zealand!" But few do.
Presidents generally reflect the general moral and demographic imperative. The president is a reflection.
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. Obviously the Executive Branch is more than just the president. There's a lot more that goes on behind the scenes.
It's very comical that Biden is the president. Both of them are clowns. 🤡
If he wins, who gives a damn? It doesn't matter. I didn't care that he won. I focus on what I can do. I can focus on my career, I can focus on making money, I can focus on buying more real estate, O focus on my family and friends. I don't have to worry about DC. Because it really doesn't affect me at the end of the day.

Btw, I've lived in Canada, Europe, Asia and the US.

Last edited:
Reactions: Downdraft, sserafim and KuriGohan&Kamehameha
Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
There's something profoundly disturbing, if not surreal, about the hyper-consumerist culture of the modern era. Even the sheer brutality and ugliness of the third world might be preferable, as it doesn't do much to distract you about the true cruelty of nature. I felt similar perverse disguises when visiting Japan.

While I appreciate the syntax of your post, I can honestly say I'd take a shopping spree at the mall and a big dinner at Pizza Hut anytime, over the horrors of a third world country. I no longer hold moral views about consumarism. Human nature is what it is. We are greedy and selfish to the very core. No need to fool ourselves into believing anything else.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: DarkRange55, sserafim and Namarupa
leavingthesoultrap

leavingthesoultrap

(ᴗ_ ᴗ。)
Nov 25, 2023
When living in Canada I've seen glimpse of American TV and it was so bizzare to me as someone who was born in Europe. Commercials telling me to find Jesus and that the Last judgment is near.

Reactions: sserafim
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
What do you find weird about it?
I think every culture has its own idiosyncrasies, in my experience.
The US is also a melding pot and you said small vs big vs suburban and rural is different, sure. But the different regions are also very distinct. The midwest and southwest, the South in general, the East coast vs West Coast, the Pacific Northwest vs New England, the Panhandles vs Hawaii. Even within states, SoCal vs NoCal, eastern vs western Washington they may as well be different states.
I'm at an IHOP right now in Maryland (I'm going to DC to see the cherry blossoms) and everything just seems so weird. Even the normies seem more like NPCs than usual. Normies be norming
I don't totally understand this sites use of the term "normies," is that just non-suicidal people or is that just the average joe-asshole or is that people without mental ailments?

So what specifically do you find weird about it?

Like George Carlin said, "When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."

Last edited:
Reactions: sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
What do you find weird about it?
I think every culture has its own idiosyncrasies, in my experience.
The US is also a melding pot and you said small vs big vs suburban and rural is different, sure. But the different regions are also very distinct. The midwest and southwest, the South in general, the East coast vs West Coast, the Pacific Northwest vs New England, the Panhandles vs Hawaii. Even within states, SoCal vs NoCal, eastern vs western Washington they may as well be different states.

I don't totally understand this sites use of the term "normies," is that just non-suicidal people or is that just the average joe-asshole or is that people without mental ailments?

So what specifically do you find weird about it?

Like George Carlin said, "When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you're given a front row seat."
This. Even the same part of America can be so different. For example, compare the Bronx to the UES.

I guess for me, "normie" is the average Joe, like the people you pass on the street or see outside. They seem to carry on with their daily lives without a thought or care in the world about the meaning of life or if there's a purpose to our existence. They seem to be on autopilot aka NPC mode. No offense, but the normies in Frederick seemed to be uncultured and have no class. They were just like average white people lol. The general American population is like that honestly, they seem to be dumb and stupid (like the rednecks who voted for Trump). Another user posted something a while back where he was astonished that the wealthiest and most powerful country in the world could have such dumb and classless people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocinante
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
They seem to carry on with their daily lives without a thought or care in the world about the meaning of life or if there's a purpose to our existence. They seem to be on autopilot aka NPC mode.
In honesty, I think this does actually happen to some extent. It feels like a sickness of our education system. Children start out full of curiosity and wonderment, yet wind up robotically competing with others for survival and/or prestige. I rarely meet people who have a general curiosity about stuff (science, history, etc.) since they all want to watch reality TV shows or hear about the royal family.

The flipside is that there is a cognitive bias which has be referred to as the protagonist disease. Viewing ourselves as complicated creatures dealing with a multitude of issues, yet assigning other people simple, unchanging roles. (Such as 'guy at checkout.') It is something that we all do to some extent, probably as a sort of mental shortcut to avoid having to process vast amounts of data.

Reactions: lemonbunny and sserafim