BBY

BBY

Done for.
Feb 18, 2023
So my brother opened up to me about wanting to kill himself, like I did a while back. Instead of trying to deter him I just told him that I supported his decision ad would like to join him. Does that make me a bad person? I just feel like a disgusting sibling for not really trying to convince him otherwise. Maybe he is just in a vulnerable state rn and I am making it worse?

Slasher

Slasher

crybaby
Jun 6, 2023
as a big brother myself I wouldn't see this as the best approach, I personally would have sat him down and had a calm and level talk with him trying to show him why not to and if he still wants to ctb after that he can do whatever. the point is that he just puts a second logical thought behind it before making a decision off emotions. you are by no means a disgusting sibling and probably made him feel heard and understood which will for sure help, I just wouldn't ctb with him though. I wish you and the your brother the best of luck <3<3

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
No of course not, I think that the whole pro-life attitude towards suicide is just invalidating and insensitive anyway, suicidal people deserve to have their wish respected as after all we all have our right to die and none of us are obligated to continue existing here. I think it would be cruel to expect someone to stay here and suffer against their wishes.

FeyB

FeyB

C.E.O. of Nihilism
Aug 5, 2023
As a big brother myself, I think honesty is a gift and hearing it helped your brother more than a fake lie about it being bad. Maybe, if you can't rely on psychiatrist etc to handle the situation, try to talk to him and understand his motives

exiled

exiled

i gave so many signs
Jun 17, 2023
Hey, it's okay. You were vulnerable with him. I believe that people appreciate that far more than they appreciate a bullshit positive perspective. Are you a terrible person for having your own intense emotions around suicide? Of course not. Your feelings are absolutely valid.

That being said, perhaps talking to him about your own suicidal feelings could have waited momentarily, and responding with more of an understanding of his perspective would have been helpful. I know when I open up to people about my suicidal thoughts, I am not looking to be deterred, I am looking to be heard. Seems like you did offer that up to your brother. However, for all that everyone here absolutely hates anything pro-life, I do believe the goal of your support and unconditional understanding should be to help him out of this rut. I think us pro-choice people, as a collective whole, are far too quick to give up. Of course there are instances where CTB may be the only foreseeable route to take, but for your brother's sake, really exhaust your options before you encourage something like that. As of now it seems you are just relating, which I believe is more helpful than some fake positive sentiment.

Reactions: enough of this and lonelywander