• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

goodjunkies

goodjunkies

Mar 7, 2024
19F

I have been taking Zoloft for over a year now, currently at the highest dosage that most psychiatrists prescribe (200 mg). Definitely noticed a difference when I first started with the meds, but everything has been increasingly worse recently. It is almost like I relapse into a terrible state (regression almost, as my parents would say) quite often and have been struggling with this for at least 3 years now. I understand that it could be that these meds are not the right fit for me, but I have always preferred to use a more natural way of treatment. This partially has to do with knowledge on how these medications that are quite artificial are made intentionally to alterate bodily chemistry-- I would really prefer to not be reliant on anything that is providing serotonin/dopamine that my body isn't producing on its own. And I have yet to know the long-term effects of such medications.

I have been told that therapy might help, but I don't think talking about how I feel would make things any better as there isn't a specific driving cause. If it was something I could easily pinpoint, then I would understand its value for my situation. Have any of you done anything (besides medication) that has significantly helped with your mental health? I would appreciate any recommendations, am quite desperate for solutions. Thank you

Reactions: real human being
real human being

real human being

full of broken thoughts
Jan 28, 2022
Exercise can be very helpful if done regularly. Can be cardio like brisk walking 30 minutes per day (what I do) or running or cycling or swimming or an HIIT workout, or could be strength exercises at a gym or with dumbbells or even just bodyweight. Doing it consistently really can make a difference for a lot of people. It has helped me somewhat. Here's an article about it.

Also, there are some natural alternatives to psychiatric medication. For anxiety, Ashwaganda, L-Theanine, and lavender oil (I use this now, has reduced my anxiety by like 30% I would say) are some well known options. There are a lot of herbs, amino-acids, and other plants and substances out there that people use to effect their mental state that are perhaps not as strong as antidepressants but that do help some people and don't have the same side effects. It's important to note that these more natural options can still have negative side effects and you should do your own research, and also they work differently for everyone (before I tried lavender oil I tried CBD and L-Theanine which didn't do much for me).

I recommend both of these things because I personally benefit from them but they did not 'fix' my life. My life is stilll fucked. They help a bit. Anyway, I hope you can get to a better place.

Edit: Oh, and also, maybe you should try therapy even though you don't think it's going to help you. I agree that it doesn't help everyone (didn't help me, though I might try again in the future), but you don't have too much to lose from trying it. It's just talking to someone.

Last edited:
Reactions: goodjunkies
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Your body is still producing the serotonin/ neurotransmitters. The medication is increasing the bioavailability. It sounds like the Zoloft has 'pooped out' which unfortunately can happen. That means you might need to taper off and switch to another medication.

I would not call this regression and it's not your fault. Depression is an illness just like cancer. With no obvious cause I'm not sure therapy will help much if at all.

Previously, people have posted alternative/herbal remedies. Look for the list by @Sensei

St John's Wort can be a strong herbal remedy and is worth trying. It cannot be combined with Zoloft or any other psych meds. It is dangerous with the contraceptive pill, makes you sun sensitive and has a range of other contraindications. But is worth a try when safe to try.

You could try microdosing mushrooms if you/your doctor decide to taper you off the Zoloft.

You will need to taper - do not come off cold turkey.

I am currently trying the Flow Neuroscience headset which can be used alongside medication. That is the non-medication treatment I recommend. I have been trying it 1.5 weeks which is too early to know if it will help me long-term. It did give me a week off depression last week. I've suffered thirty years so that was something.

There are some legal mushrooms you can get in health food store. I don't know if any of them treat depression but could be worth trying.

I do wish you luck but my honest opinion (after years of avoiding medication) is that we are lucky to have medication.

If one SSRI has helped you already then hopefully a different one will also help you.

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: divinemistress36
arnxxx

arnxxx

Experienced
Mar 8, 2024
The above comments already give good advice. I would like to add meditation and mindfulness in general. I would recommend the book The Power of Now. That really changed my perspective on life. You learn letting stuff be, whatever it is. There are guided meditations on youtube you can try out. Start slow i.e. with a 3 minute mediation.

Reactions: goodjunkies
goodjunkies

goodjunkies

Mar 7, 2024
Exercise can be very helpful if done regularly. Can be cardio like brisk walking 30 minutes per day (what I do) or running or cycling or swimming or an HIIT workout, or could be strength exercises at a gym or with dumbbells or even just bodyweight. Doing it consistently really can make a difference for a lot of people. It has helped me somewhat. Here's an article about it.

Also, there are some natural alternatives to psychiatric medication. For anxiety, Ashwaganda, L-Theanine, and lavender oil (I use this now, has reduced my anxiety by like 30% I would say) are some well known options. There are a lot of herbs, amino-acids, and other plants and substances out there that people use to effect their mental state that are perhaps not as strong as antidepressants but that do help some people and don't have the same side effects. It's important to note that these more natural options can still have negative side effects and you should do your own research, and also they work differently for everyone (before I tried lavender oil I tried CBD and L-Theanine which didn't do much for me).

I recommend both of these things because I personally benefit from them but they did not 'fix' my life. My life is stilll fucked. They help a bit. Anyway, I hope you can get to a better place.

Edit: Oh, and also, maybe you should try therapy even though you don't think it's going to help you. I agree that it doesn't help everyone (didn't help me, though I might try again in the future), but you don't have too much to lose from trying it. It's just talking to someone.
Thank you so much for the response! I will try these out….
I wish only the best for u :)
The above comments already give good advice. I would like to add meditation and mindfulness in general. I would recommend the book The Power of Now. That really changed my perspective on life. You learn letting stuff be, whatever it is. There are guided meditations on youtube you can try out. Start slow i.e. with a 3 minute mediation.
Thank you so much ! I definitely will try out meditation

• Hugs
Reactions: real human being