D

d3c96524be95

Student
Jan 24, 2023
Phew, that was close. It took place this evening, I'm still a bit stunned. I'm telling this story mainly for venting purposes and not because I think my life is genuinely interesting, but I still reckon the whole situation was rather ludicrous so maybe worth sharing after all.

So, for the context, I've had persistent depression with suicidal ideation for about 15 years, sometimes manageable, sometimes really horribly bad. And this summer, it's been really really bad with overwhelming suicidal thoughts.

I see a psychiatrist on a regular basis and she's really nice, but she (rightfully) wanted to go on vacation for a bit. As she knew about my suicidal thoughts and freaked about "letting me alone", she thought it would be a good idea to schedule for me daily calls with a suicide "helpline" (spoiler: they're not a helpline, they're a healthcheck line).

So the healthcheck was up, and last week, out of pure bad luck, I missed two consecutive calls from the (so-called) helpline. I wasn't on my phone at the very moment they called, and as I deal with ASD and APD, calling back was really not an option for me. After their second attempt, they left me a voice message stating that the "incident" will be reported to my psychatrist. Like, seriously, what about dropping me an email or a text message? I'd respond in a minute but whatever, procedures I guess. I got no news from neither the helpline nor my psychatrist since that voice message (last week).

On sunday, as my mother was worried for me, she decided to come visit me at my place (without my consent, as usual, because when you're depressed nobody cares about how you feel and what you really want). She planed to stay for at least a few weeks with me.

Today morning, I received my SN from Poland. (Not sure if I really want to go with SN BTW as it doesn't look peaceful enough to me, but that'll be another option at least)

Today, at around 5PM, heavy knocks on my door. 6 firefighters and 3 policemen, diving all at once into my tiny appartment 😳😱 . I thought I was done. I had read a few threads on SS about people receiving wellness checks in EU after ordering SN, I really thought that police would ask me to surrender it, maybe even press some charges, and firefighters would bring me to the psychiatric emergency for a "checkup" (which in my country means game over regarding your human rights). My assumption was wrong: they weren't there for the SN, they had just been called by a third-party (that they weren't able to name) because of an alledged imminent death threat (that I did not make). At some point, they pretended my mother was the third-party who called them, which was obviously wrong because I spent the afternoon with her, plus she had no reason to do that. They even checked on our phones that we weren't lying. So, I'm still not 100% sure about what happened exactly that made them come, but I highly suspect the """helpline""" made the emergency call for whatever reason. But I didn't receive any call from them today, WTF?

Although nobody could make any sense of that situation, after checking my vitals, they decided to bring me to the emergency (because procedure). I was freaking out because from previous experiences, going to emergency with firefighters and police + suicidal ideation on the report means 100% probability of being coerced into a psych ward. They'll pretend they listen to you, but it's all written in advance.

So in this first emergency unit, they forced me to undress and wear their humiliating pyjama. I then had to give up on all my belongings except for my mobile phone (horray). They weren't able to explain to me why they made up such rules. I suspect that if they were able to, they'd realize how inhumane all this theater is, and psychiatry wouldn't be psychiatry, right? Then they realized that they had no psychiatrist in the unit, so I waited 2 hours for an ambulance to bring me to another hospital where they would have a psychiatrist available to check on me. I used this spare time to verify whether I was legally allowed to sign a discharge and leave the service on my own. Turns out leaving is always an option *except for mental illnesses* because you're considered unsound by default 🥳 (until you've been checked up by a psychatrist that will officially and arbitrarily declare you unsound anyways). Thanks legislator, always nice being legally sequestrated, deprived of basic human rights, and treated as a sub-human because of having done… absolutely nothing. Even rapists have more rights lol.

So I was eventually driven to this other hospital, waited for another 2 hours, and was finally able to see a psychiatrist whom I lied and minimized to a lot, in the hope he wouldn't imprison me. I reminded him what the law said about coerced psychiatric hospitalizations, stated very precisely all the previous diagnosis and treatments I endured (proving I was not delusional or in denial), reiterated that there was absolutely no imminent threat of harm to myself. By the law, this should be largely sufficient to get you out of the trouble, but in practice it's wasting your breath. They do not care about anything you say, because remember, you're unsound by premise. You can say all you want, that's worth nothing. The only thing that saved me from the ward tonight was that I brought my mother with me all along, and begged her to not, under any circumstance, sign for a forced admission. That's ironic because I was pissed she came visiting me at my place, but her decision turned out saving my ass this time. Very lucky.

I'm still a bit bitter though because she used manipulative rhetoric and pro-life sophisms against me all night long. She said that she would take all the blame should I committed suicide now, because she would consider she should have signed the admission to prevent it from happening. Obviously this is biased and illogical in so many respect, but I can symapthize she's unable to think rationnally under such circumstances. Yet she only focused on her, her feelings, how much she and my dad would suffer from my death. She was unable to consider the perspective where, as much as they'd miss me, it would also be a relief from suffering for me. She blamed me for not "trying everything" to heal. I can understand her perspective, but she didn't make a step towards me at all tonight and that was heartbreaking. I feel so misunderstood. I mean what's even the point in life if I'm just supposed to live to mitigate my parents' sadness? And when they die (possibly after years of sickess, alzheimer, cancer and whatnot), am I finally allowed to rest or do they invent another ad-hoc rule to force me to live?

Well, that was my uninteressting today's story, sorry if you lost your time reading to this point. Note that I may have written another very similar story in one of my previous posts, because I've already lived a very similar quiproquo (except it ended way worse for me because my mother was absent, therefore I ended up spending some happy time in the ward). Just disgusting to see how powerless we are against psychiatry. Let alone how many "facts" they reported from my medical file tonight that were just plain hallucinations on their part. God, they're draining me energy I don't even have.

Feel free to share your thoughts, appreciation, similar experiences if you have (hope you don't). Also feel free to tell me how you think I could have handled the situation better (maybe not talking about my suicidal thoughts to my psychatrist in the first place, but what's done can't be undone, and I think it also kinda helped me at some point ☹️). And compassion with American fellows who may have similar stories, but ended up with medical expenses as the cherry on the top. I'm relieved to have social security.

Good night.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: imreadytogotoday, SunflowerBrains, western_heart and 6 others
C

chloramine

Arcanist
Apr 18, 2022
It's a little funny that you're sympathetic for your mother being unable to think rationally while being automatically deemed irrational because of how screwed up views around mental health are. I'm really sorry all that happened to you and I'm glad you were able to avoid the psych ward though. I think you handled everything pretty well all things considered.

You'd think the checkup calls would try more than once per day when you don't answer if they're that concerned though. Like. People can't be ready to answer the phone 24/7.

Reactions: SunflowerBrains
FadingSunshine

FadingSunshine

Nothing lasts forever.
Jul 8, 2023
I think it was actually pretty interesting, very insightful about leaving against medical advice not being allowed for the 'mentally unsound'. Also I relate to your thoughts about others prioritzing their feelings rather than what you KNOW you want to do and you've known you've wanted to do for years.

Reactions: SunflowerBrains
N

NoHorizon

Experienced
Nov 22, 2022
I'm sorry you went through that. It's such an extreme escalation from not answering your phone. So frustrating that there isn't more compassion (and plain common sense) when people are dealing with someone in a crisis. You seem very empathic to be considering everyone else's feelings while suffering so much yourself. I don't have much to offer other than that I hope things get better for you and that you receive the same kindness you give out to others.

Reactions: SunflowerBrains and chloramine
D

d3c96524be95

Student
Jan 24, 2023
Thanks for your replies, remarks and kind words. It really helps me processing.

It's a little funny that you're sympathetic for your mother being unable to think rationally while being automatically deemed irrational because of how screwed up views around mental health are. I'm really sorry all that happened to you and I'm glad you were able to avoid the psych ward though. I think you handled everything pretty well all things considered.

Kind of ironic indeed. Spending time with people struggling mentally made me realize how many were abused or abandoned by their parents. Look, I'm 31, my mother is 64 and she crossed the entire country to do what she thinks was best for me. I must be such a burden currently, and she still fucking faced psychiatry with me and refused to sign their admission paper. How many parents would have just signed that to find some peace and offload their responsibility? At this point, a moral divergence is irrelevant IMHO. And I know their stance is mainly cultural anyways. They've been born and raised in a society that sanctifies life to such an extreme point. Imagine a son saying "god doesn't exist" in a highly fanatical family; I think it's the same kind of cultural gap we're dealing with here. That's not something they will be able to grasp in their lifetime for numerous reasons (let alone that they do love me and really want me to live a happy life, however unlikely it is at this point).

You'd think the checkup calls would try more than once per day when you don't answer if they're that concerned though. Like. People can't be ready to answer the phone 24/7.
To be fair, they tried to call me twice before escalating to my psychiatrist 😄. And as far as I know, yesterday, they didn't even try to reach me before escalating to emergency which is something else.

They could have called or messaged both my parents, send me emails, message or call me on my cellphone, WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal, even contact my neighbors or send a simple patrol to my place for an asynchronous visit. They had so many options, but they still decided to escalate so extremely… It makes me laugh that they seem to believe that gaining maybe 10 minutes will be of any help if I decide to CTB, all the more so they are calling me at random which means there's very little chance rescue will arrive in time, even with a very slow and poorly timed suicide method. Also, they really think I'm too stupid to properly time my attempt. Honestly, if they really thought I attempted suicide, they'd be better off calling up the morgue directly, that would make more sense. What were their actual grounds to believe I was in imminent danger? It's once again an abuse of the spirit of the law, and I think it should be considered harrasment.

I think it was actually pretty interesting, very insightful about leaving against medical advice not being allowed for the 'mentally unsound'. Also I relate to your thoughts about others prioritzing their feelings rather than what you KNOW you want to do and you've known you've wanted to do for years.

🙏. Note that this is only proven in my own country (France). However, I suspect it's roughly the same bullshit in most countries, when not worse.

I'm sorry you went through that. It's such an extreme escalation from not answering your phone. So frustrating that there isn't more compassion (and plain common sense) when people are dealing with someone in a crisis. You seem very empathic to be considering everyone else's feelings while suffering so much yourself. I don't have much to offer other than that I hope things get better for you and that you receive the same kindness you give out to others.

I'm not entitled to anything. tking from your own time to read my story and write a nice and empathetic response is already more than most people coming across this thread, so thank you, you overdelivered. I wish you also receive the kindess you deserve.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: chloramine and NoHorizon
voc_89

voc_89

Experienced
Apr 10, 2023
i am glad you did not get committed and your country appears to have free meidcal care. I feel terrible for those who don't and get saddled with absurd bills cause people are forcing them against their will to be sequestered for observation. Sickening. I wonder if they know that that does more harm than good....

"Thank you hospital guys for keeping me alive in this crap world in which I have little hope in. Hold on a minute while I go see which credit cards I can max out to pay for this bill for your extradoniray service to the public."

But we are the crazy ones???

Reactions: PoshPorcupine, chloramine and d3c96524be95
D

d3c96524be95

Student
Jan 24, 2023
i am glad you did not get committed and your country appears to have free meidcal care. I feel terrible for those who don't and get saddled with absurd bills cause people are forcing them against their will to be sequestered for observation. Sickening. I wonder if they know that that does more harm than good....

"Thank you hospital guys for keeping me alive in this crap world in which I have little hope in. Hold on a minute while I go see which credit cards I can max out to pay for this bill for your extradoniray service to the public."

But we are the crazy ones???
Yeah, I'd still prefer taxpayer's money to be used for wiser purposes than jailing and torturing innocent and harmless people. But I'm still grateful I don't have to sell my organs on top of that, that'd be so nuts. Can't imagine how it would feel, something like paying damages to your abuser.

• Hugs
Reactions: voc_89
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
That really is so horrible, I hate how we exist in a world where suicidal people are punished and treat like criminals, it's just so inhumane to me.

Reactions: Arachnid_Antichrist, voc_89 and d3c96524be95