hopelessoceanic25

hopelessoceanic25

Agony.
Nov 29, 2023
Does anybody age regress to cope? I find myself often watching comfort childhood shows that I love. It feels a bit embarrassing to type this, but I hope I'm not alone in age regressing. It's definitely my brain trying to cope and use a defense mechanism.

• Hugs
Reactions: leavingthesoultrap, cgrtt.brns, Duality and 5 others
sadwriter

sadwriter

Hanging in there
Aug 29, 2023
Sometimes when I'm feeling really shitty or having an emotional flashback I'll hug a stuffed animal for comfort. Given the fact that I have trauma from when I was young, it doesn't surprise me that my brain does this some times.

Also, for what it's worth, I don't think that watching shows from your childhood is embarrassing at all! (I've actually done that before in adulthood as well, come to think of it.)

Reactions: cgrtt.brns
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
I don't think that watching shows you loved from your childhood is in of itself age regression. It's pretty normal and most people do it. Age regression specifically refers to reverting to a younger mental state/earlier state of development. You know, like throwing tantrums, baby talk, whining, having trouble performing basic tasks, etc.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: sadwriter, psp3000 and cgrtt.brns
D

Duality

Harmony in Duality
May 27, 2023
This is very normal, and other people do this too just to relive memories, or as something to put on the background.

I wouldn't be embarrassed about this, not at all.

Reactions: sadwriter and psp3000
JustABug

JustABug

Sinking in my skin
Aug 18, 2023
Does anybody age regress to cope? I find myself often watching comfort childhood shows that I love. It feels a bit embarrassing to type this, but I hope I'm not alone in age regressing. It's definitely my brain trying to cope and use a defense mechanism.
I suffer with DpDr and I usually forcefully regress. This is against my will and just something my brain forces me to do when I'm too stressed out. For example, I will just feel like my younger self, have the exact mindset and thoughts and physically picture myself looking like my younger self. It's scary but I understand it's my brain protecting itself.

Nothing to feel ashamed for! Humans naturally regress by simply colouring, watching cartoons as you mentioned and every parent does it through their kids childhood without realising. It's good to regress for your brain!

Reactions: sadwriter
traumer

traumer

the thorn
Nov 18, 2023
i can't believe i will be 20 soon i want to be a 12 year old whose only job is playing msp and reading wattpad

Reactions: psp3000 and cgrtt.brns
cgrtt.brns

cgrtt.brns

wandering ghost (he/him)
Apr 19, 2023
i personally wouldnt call what i do age regressing, more like going back to coping mechanisms i used as a child like colouring or watching my favourite childhood shows or eating my favourite childhood food, because theyre familiar and comforting. sometimes at night when everyone else is asleep ill go downstairs and drink chocolate milk and eat biscuits while watching a show from my childhood and hugging my favourite stuffed toy in the dark just to feel like an innocent kid again.
i get what you mean about being embarrassed about it, i feel like i shouldnt do this and i should just act like an adult like everyone else does and expects me to, but as you said its just our brains trying to cope with trauma, its not our fault that we do this so we dont have to be embarrassed by it. if it helps us cope, thats the most important part.

• Hugs
Reactions: loopdaloop, psp3000 and traumer