• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Bonkers

Bonkers

Nov 22, 2020
Hi, I'm a new member, so not sure if this post fits here. One thing I can't get out of my head. A few years ago I was working in a hospital as a care assistant with elderly patients. One day we got a young woman, failed suicide by hanging. Hanging would probably be in my top 3 choices of ctb. (When I was getting divorced my sister kept referring to finding me swinging, even though I'd never said anything to her.) Anyway, the attitude of 99% of the nurses was terrible and judgemental. Made me so sad. Just one said, let's shave her legs and do her hair to look like the photos on the side. At least she was being thoughtful. The patient never regained consciousness and died after a few months in a 'rehab'. I'll never forget seeing her in such a sad state of limbo. Here unwillingly, judged, helpless. Scares the **** out of me - the risk of a failed attempt. Worse than not trying.

waterstrider

waterstrider

cold
Nov 29, 2020
Its so so cruel from medical "professional" to even try and keep comatose patients "alive".
I'll just never understand how society is completely okay with that.

One thing that can be done (in my country at least) is to fill out a patient "form" which states you don't want to have CPR performed under any circumstances and carry that around.

Bonkers

Bonkers

Nov 22, 2020
I'm glad she didn't survive, she'd have a hypoxic brain injury. I would only wish that on my worst enemy. I hope the nurses weren't like that to me when I was unconscious
People are much more aware and educated now about depression and suicide I think. She received good nursing care, it was the lack of understanding and empathy that got to me. I'm sorry if my post has caused you anxiety. :( I later trained as a nurse and we have suicide awareness every year now! Basically not to shy away from asking people directly if they're suicidal. But clearly, those intentions can be hidden.
Its so so cruel from medical "professional" to even try and keep comatose patients "alive".
I'll just never understand how society is completely okay with that.

One thing that can be done (in my country at least) is to fill out a patient "form" which states you don't want to have CPR performed under any circumstances and carry that around.
I agree. A relative found her, called an ambulance and paramedics worked on her for a good while until they restored a heartbeat but little else. A DNR note at the scene is a simple but really good idea, as long as it's followed.

Last edited:
Reactions: waterstrider
Caspers

Caspers

Lost
Jun 23, 2020
People are much more aware and educated now about depression and suicide I think. She received good nursing care, it was the lack of understanding and empathy that got to me. I'm sorry if my post has caused you anxiety. :( I later trained as a nurse and we have suicide awareness every year now! Basically not to shy away from asking people directly if they're suicidal. But clearly, those intentions can be hidden.

Hey, no probs, you didn't make me anxious at all, don't you worry. I'm glad she was well cared for

• Love
Reactions: Bonkers