whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
I'm more than one month in with an apprenticeship or whatever with an start-up as a programmer. We are doing an app all from scratch and it's more exciting than what other students are doing.

HOWEVER. For some fucked up karmic reason the worst (not kidding, the worst) of my classmates landed with me on the job, and he has been busting his ass to look better than me. He ultimately failed, but we are now in the same project and he is affecting my work. For some reason, he's on the company's Whatsapp and I'm not. Are they going to hire him and let me go? It's very strange.

I've bitched about him already publically once. I don't know what to do, I don't want him on this company if I get hired. I want him to go away. Bad code get worse the more you write and then one day the app needs weeks of reworking with stuff that isn't flashy or exciting. He also influences me negatively in that I get dragged down to bad practices.

When you try to teach him stuff or suggest things it's seldom well accepted, and he likes to pretend the stuff I work in isn't as important as his, which is normally false.

What can I do? I feel like his strategy is to make me lose my mind and be seen as a bitchy person that can't work with others. God knows he can't try to look more engaged or serious than me. I need the CEO to give him the boot. It's so bad that if we both get hired I will talk about it.

I need to stay in this job, get hired. I don't have energy for trying again. I'm too depressed and physically sick. I like the place, the people, the hours. I just hate this guy as a programmer, and don't love him as a person either.

This guy was such a joke and unpopular in class that people laughed at him during recess and he couldn't get a group for assignments. I ended giving him a group myself! I'm a sucker for outcasts but sometimes it's well deserved and this is such a case. Fuck me, I don't know how this will end.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood
Bootleg Astolfo

Bootleg Astolfo

Glorious Bean Plushie
Oct 12, 2020
Be a little Machiavelli and pin a bunch of small problems on him (that youve of course made happen yourself), if you have high speech stats subtlely insinuate he's an asshole whenever possible. Charity comes in ? ''*donates small amount* Oh, i'll go fetch COWORKERSNAME he usually has chang- oh... yeah he probably wouldnt care, i won't waste your time''

• Yay!
Reactions: whatevs
whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
Be a little Machiavelli and pin a bunch of small problems on him (that youve of course made happen yourself), if you have high speech stats subtlely insinuate he's an asshole whenever possible. Charity comes in ? ''*donates small amount* Oh, i'll go fetch COWORKERSNAME he usually has chang- oh... yeah he probably wouldnt care, i won't waste your time''
My speechcraft is high but I suffer from a curse that puts my charisma in a shameful 4/10. The end result is someone that might look intelligent but you probably won't get persuaded by.

Reactions: Bootleg Astolfo
Bootleg Astolfo

Bootleg Astolfo

Glorious Bean Plushie
Oct 12, 2020
My speechcraft is high but I suffer from a curse that puts my charisma in a shameful 4/10. The end result is someone that might look intelligent but you probably won't get persuaded by.
If it's not already the case, wear nice stylish decently fitting suit-style clothing. Merely wearing a nice formal outfit gives you a free +2 charisma, can go up to +4 if it's really good, and straight up puts you at a 10 if you're decently attractive.

• Informative
Reactions: whatevs
whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
If it's not already the case, wear nice stylish decently fitting suit-style clothing. Merely wearing a nice formal outfit gives you a free +2 charisma, can go up to +4 if it's really good, and straight up puts you at a 10 if you're decently attractive.
Right, I can work on looking more professional than him too. He's obese and don't try to dress up at all.

Reactions: rationaltake and Bootleg Astolfo
I

indigomoon

Student
Mar 6, 2022
I'm not great with this kind of stuff but here's what comes to mind. If your coworker isn't performing up to standards, document it. Also call it to the attention of your supervisor. But in a way that shows it's affecting your work and the productivity of the job in general. Make him look like he's the one dropping the ball. But document all of it. They are less likely to get rid of him if there's no documentation. Like I said I'm not good at this stuff but this is what I would do.

Reactions: motel rooms, Foresight and whatevs
Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
They'll know. Trust your management.

I've worked with lame coworkers. Leaders always appreciated cooperation and doing your best. That's what you need to focus on, presenting your best work and doing your personal best in the team. Trust your company, they've probably seen many personalities if it's not a start up.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: whatevs and PreussenBlueJay
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
Show him some indeed ads for higher paying companies, nudge him a bit towards going for something high caliber since he thinks he's the next Bill Gates or Elon musk crafting a revolutionary program- which was actually developed off the backs of hard workers like yourself. It'll suit him fine.

Reactions: Lost in a Dream and PreussenBlueJay
chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
Don't try to attack him in any way or it can be used against you. I would simply recommend to ignore him as much as possible and let him fall down by his own mistakes.

And talk to people more often in the company, especially people involved in recruiting. Talk about everything, focus on things related to your work, but bring some other topics as well. Just make sure they want to talk to you too and don't force conversations.

When someone asks about your coworker, don't speak ill about him, but just make some weird face and say something vague, implying what you think, but without words.

Reactions: rationaltake, Un-, whatevs and 2 others
onlyanimalsaregood

onlyanimalsaregood

Unlovable 💔 Rest in peace CommitSudoku 🤍
Mar 11, 2022
Don't try to attack him in any way or it can be used against you. I would simply recommend to ignore him as much as possible and let him fall down by his own mistakes.
I agree. Simply concentrate on your work and do your best. Things will fall into place for you. It's wrong to burn a colleague no matter how much he deserves it.

Reactions: Un- and whatevs