N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Just another repetitive thread about intelligence by me.

Is inteligence good to achieve things? Fulfilling one's own desires. It is good to get money. My personal motto get money, die young except for the money part.

Does it helps one's own self-confidence. I think the opposite can be the case. Many really smart are humble and know the limit of their own abilities.

Is it good for self-awareness? I think a certain type of self-awareness can be paralyzing.

Is it good for getting closer to the truth?

Is it good to get admired for it? At the same it seems to be really disgusting if posters of suicide forums suck off smart people on a daily basis. Is it something you want to be admired for?

One thing that I really really like about intelligence. And this is something I am curious when I meet smart people. Can they tell me something about me that I am not self-aware of? And this quantum scientist I met had a better understanding of my biases and brain than most/all therapists I ever talked to. He noticed a certain bias that I have I do predictions all the time in a sort of distorted way. And these predictions are part of my suicidality. It is really interesting. He noticed I get angry when people tell me what if you don't commit suicide? What then. (or is it normal to get angry then. I think I have good reasons for thiking that.)
However, he also hated me and couldn't say anything positive about me inter alia because I am obsessed about intelligence and he considered that pretty pathetic. Which is sort of true and fueld my self-hatred only further. But it stems from my bullying and my mom abusing me. Tbh I think because he tried to intervene in my cogntive distortion he is now owner of a place in the walk of fame in my brain. He owns an apartment in it. And in this forum where I post about it in quite a scary frequency. Lol.

• Hugs
Reactions: kinderbueno, etherealspring, Forever Sleep and 1 other person
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Why do you value intelligence?

Importance is an arbitrary human construct created to aid our instinct of survival. In the absolute, necessity doesn't exist.

Reactions: enduringwinter
Serial Experi Pain

Serial Experi Pain

I hate me more :P
Sep 12, 2023
I can't help but keep wanting to learn more about the world and the why/what/how that makes things and people tick...

My biggest issue is that I can't be near people who demand that I obey their request to respect that they stay willfully ignorant to facts. The way my brain works is that if Im given new information that contradicts something i have learned in the past I will look up the information as a whole and continue to research it in hopes of finding the facts surrounding the topic at hand and form an opinion based on that. I recently met someone who told me that even when presented with factual information and evidence, there are certain things their mind cannot be changed on and I didn't and do not know if I could subject myself to someone like that.

If I'm being honest, I really do feel as though ignorance is bliss. The less hell you're aware of the less it impacts you, right?

But at the same time that is never how I was wired, and I can't change that at this point... Just like I don't expect the other person to change how they claim to be wired.... I will just take my distance from them and put some space there because I know I would be butting heads with said person far too much and eventually that would drive me insane and it isn't worth it.

I value truth, facts, and the will to adopt to new ideas when presented with information... Not so much intelligence because you can always collect it along the way, and there are many various forms of such. I don't think it gets you much, unless you're motivated and you have the right connections. In a lot of cases being more aware of the world in any state is a hell of a thing to handle and breaks a lot of people.

Reactions: sserafim
GuessWhosBack

GuessWhosBack

If you have doubts, reach out. Here to listen.
Jul 15, 2024
I wouldn't trade my "intelligence" for anything. I like entertaining my abstract curiosities. I like what I've studied and what I study. I don't consider myself to be particularly smart, but I've found my niche.

There's many ways one can be intelligent. I'm dumb in many, many ways. It's good if it opens opportunities for you to express yourself in a way that makes you happy. Whether that be work, research, helping others, getting advice from cats, or discussing philosophy with hippos.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I relate to the whole- this person could see things in you others hadn't seen before. I met up with a friend of my Mum's for dinner once and she was incredible. She seemed to have me sussed within a brief conversation. I wondered why this was. Had she invested a lot of time in therapy herself, so she was good at analysing people? Was she just exceptionally intuitive? Was it because she knew my Mum and perhaps I'm like her in some ways? I think more than anything though, it's maybe that level of attention and care that was so nice. That she really listened and understood and cared enough to understand.

I do remember you talking about this guy before and I also relate to the feeling. I'm not so sure he did hate you but it's that awful vulnerability we feel when we realise we kind of worship someone who doesn't see the value in us in return. It is really upsetting. I've been through it too.

As for your question though, I think very clever people do often suffer. I suppose it depends on what other traits or beliefs they have picked up too. I doubt many would want to lose their abilities though.

I guess a lot hinges on what we want out of life. If someone is highly ambitious but challenged intellectually, that will likely make them miserable. Whereas, someone who has accepted their lot in life, doesn't feel ashamed and doesn't aspire to anything more can probably feel more at ease.

• Hugs
Reactions: noname223
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Why do you value intelligence?

Importance is an arbitrary human construct created to aid our instinct of survival. In the absolute, necessity doesn't exist.
The most unpleasant answer not sure whether it is fully true: Compensation of an inferiority complex and lack of self-esteem (caused by being bullied for being stupid). While worshipping it only increases my self-hatred. A vicious cycle.

But I also want to be better than my stupid parents that abused me and ruined my life.

I want to increase my self-awareness and have a better understanding of myself and my biases.

I like it when smart people are down-to-earth and humble because I am not that good at it. I envy that but I needed to change my whole identity. I am a wanna be smartass that does not know shit about the things he pretends to be an expert on. Typical Dunning Kruger case.

I think one big step in the right direction is to stop wanting to deduce one's intelligence by one's job. The woman I date never went to college but she still is quite intelligent. Her job is more technology oriented and for practicioners.

Last edited:
VeryShy

VeryShy

Seriously disabled due to autism and schizophrenia
Jun 21, 2024
I'm a super-genius, and it was always just a burden. :pfff:

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
well i don't consider any human being to be smart AI is vastly smarter in every-way or it will be in 50 years