backtoearth

backtoearth

<3
Sep 9, 2023
Over the last few months I have been lurking on here I have noticed a lot of offhanded mentions of "becoming a vegetable" or complaining about people experiencing severe psychosis in inpatient, I understand that these things are undesirable to people who have a choice not to interact with or become these people but it has just been really rubbing me the wrong way. I am unfortunately someone who has psychotic episodes and am at risk of hurting people in those episodes, but that is not me, I am just so scared of everyone that I will do anything to feel safe and calm the delusions. So seeing people complain or outcast people like me kind of makes me feel like even in a place as open as this site, I am not completely welcome.
I don't have experience with complete brain damage or paralysis, but I have absent episodes where I cannot move, and although it's not the same it is fucking terrifying to not be able to move or have any autonomy of your own. I cannot imagine the fear and lack of dignity these people feel everyday so reducing them to "vegetables" actually makes me feel a bit sick.
As people who experience so much suffering I don't understand how some are able to speak so negatively about people in these horrific, isolating situations.

Idk I hope I don't come across like a keyboard warrior or whatever but does anyone else feel this way when reading through (mostly just) method or inpatient threads? Or am I just overly sensitive

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Seered Doom, cgrtt.brns, LoiteringClouds and 7 others
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Malpractice: NeuroDystrophy-Paralysis-Meds-Injured
Sep 27, 2022
💛🙏

• Love
Reactions: LoiteringClouds and backtoearth
Amelie

Amelie

Aug 12, 2023
Over the last few months I have been lurking on here I have noticed a lot of offhanded mentions of "becoming a vegetable" or complaining about people experiencing severe psychosis in inpatient, I understand that these things are undesirable to people who have a choice not to interact with or become these people but it has just been really rubbing me the wrong way. I am unfortunately someone who has psychotic episodes and am at risk of hurting people in those episodes, but that is not me, I am just so scared of everyone that I will do anything to feel safe and calm the delusions. So seeing people complain or outcast people like me kind of makes me feel like even in a place as open as this site, I am not completely welcome.
I don't have experience with complete brain damage or paralysis, but I have absent episodes where I cannot move, and although it's not the same it is fucking terrifying to not be able to move or have any autonomy of your own. I cannot imagine the fear and lack of dignity these people feel everyday so reducing them to "vegetables" actually makes me feel a bit sick.
As people who experience so much suffering I don't understand how some are able to speak so negatively about people in these horrific, isolating situations.

Idk I hope I don't come across like a keyboard warrior or whatever but does anyone else feel this way when reading through (mostly just) method or inpatient threads? Or am I just overly sensitive
I see your point. I'm not very comfortable with that terminology either.

• Hugs
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, LoiteringClouds and backtoearth
backtoearth

backtoearth

<3
Sep 9, 2023
I see your point. I'm not very comfortable with that terminology either.
I'm glad it's not just me, I've watched a lot of people suffer and don't think some of the things I've read on here gives those people dignity

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, LoiteringClouds and Amelie
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I can see how that must be upsetting and I'm so sorry for your situation. I imagine most people aren't meaning it personally though- or to slight people. I think we all fear what could happen to us if an attempt goes wrong. The same as many of us fear getting old. Doesn't mean we hate old people or blame them. It's just that we fear experiencing that. I doubt many people would actually call someone a vegetable here. I suppose it's just a (I would say reasonable) fear that a failed attempt could make life worse. We may lose some or most of our faculties.

When it comes to psyche wards etc. I'd hope it was more of a criticism of the system itself. Personally, I feel like there should be different tiers to it. It's not to blame the person that is say- becoming violent but sometimes that behaviour can be very traumatising to others. I just get the impression that people are sometimes involuntarily sent to these places without people REALLY thinking whether it is the best environment for them.

Again- it's not about shaming, hating or blaming the person who is acting out. It's more that people probably have had a bad experience if they have been forced to witness that involuntarily. I worked in a care home for a while. Some people there could get violent. It wasn't their fault. They were frightened and didn't understand what was going on- no matter how many times you tried to explain it to them. You can't hate them for it- that's not fair- like you say- that's not really them. On the other hand- it's only human to feel apprehensive about having to try and work with them. Who enjoys being hit, sworn at, pinched? It's distressing. It's especially distressing to see them getting so upset and not understanding that you're trying to help them. I imagine for someone who is another patient and vulnerable themselves- that may look incredibly upsetting.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: backtoearth, Per Ardua Ad Astra and jar-baby