Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
This assumes every life is valuable and worth living. Unfortunately nothing could be further from the truth.

Reactions: death becomes her, Sprite_Geist, Disco Biscuit and 3 others
Sinkinshyp

Sinkinshyp

Paragon
Sep 7, 2020
I think people do it to make themselves feel good if they had bothered to call a hotline they would burn that poster board

Reactions: Merlay, Ghost2211, Meditation guide and 4 others
BitterlyAlive_

BitterlyAlive_

-
Dec 8, 2020
I hate it when people say this, it's such a platitude. They don't know us, how can they say something like that? And screw the hotline lmao
I just find this type of stuff to be insincere. I'd be willing to bet dude knows someone IRL that needs a conversation real bad right now, but as opposed to do that he'll just make this shitty Twitter post instead, it's easier. This dude cares about the kudos, and the associated endorphin rush that comes along with it. Obvious attention seeking, is obvious.
Yup, virtue signaling

Reactions: death becomes her, Sinkinshyp, botanormal and 1 other person
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
People seldom do things out of the blue. As I understand it, people who are involved in suicide preventation have often lost someone to suicide themselves. This may very well have happened to this man too; it would explain why he cares. Although he doesn't seem to understand the psychological mechanisms behind suicide, his intentions could be honest and sincere. He may not be able to help people like us, but maybe he can help people with less serious problems, as @hellodarkness points out. Maybe it's a good thing that he draws attention to suicide, because it may make people think about what kind of suffering makes people decide to do it, although that may simply be wishful thinking on my behalf. Just my two cents.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Merlay, Brick In The Wall, Sinkinshyp and 3 others
livefreeorpeace

livefreeorpeace

Jun 14, 2020
This gave me an idea. Maybe you're right about this and he does know someone IRL that needs a conversation real bad right now. I can think of one in my life straight away. I'm 99% sure she's deeply depressed and likely suicidal. But outside asking how she's doing and if she's OK, what's on her mind, etc., I have no idea how to even broach the subject and despite numerous attempts it always goes nowhere.

Now how can I send a message to her that I think might mean something coming from me, that I can't send privately without making a potentially false assumption that she's suicidal? Maybe I can just send it generically to everyone - there's a million virtue signalling posts of the same ilk going around so most people won't even blink but maybe she sees it and it means something to her. If not the suicide hotline, maybe she opens up to me and who knows if we can help? And if not, what's the downside?

I mean it's probably not that, in fact it's a long shot, but your comment made me think there could be more to it than delusional virtue signalling so I'd best not judge too harshly like I was tempted to. I think as a generic post to everyone it's likely meaningless but there could be more to it. Even if not designed for a very specific target audience, it could just be a conversation starter where people feel comfortable talking about it semi-anonymously. Who knows.
Fair enough.

Reactions: botanormal and Teal_Blue_Dreams
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019

Apparently, the world is better with us in it. And if you don't agree, you can call a suicide hotline.

The replies are pretty mixed. A lot of people aren't buying what this guy is selling but some are thanking him and saying that this is exactly what they needed today.

Do posts like this really help genuinely suicidal people?

Haven't read the replies yet but you know what they say about good intentions...and I've personally had a lot of shit thrown my way under the guise of such. I mean, can intentions really be good when the person doesn't even question them or think them through? Seems more like virtue signaling than a well intentioned statement most of the time.
People seldom do things out of the blue. As I understand it, people who are involved in suicide preventation have often lost someone to suicide themselves. This may very well have happened to this man too; it would explain why he cares. Although he doesn't seem to understand the psychological mechanisms behind suicide, his intentions could be honest and sincere. He may not be able to help people like us, but maybe he can help people with less serious problems, as @hellodarkness points out. Maybe it's a good thing that he draws attention to suicide, because it may make people think about what kind of suffering makes people decide to do it, although that may simply be wishful thinking on my behalf. Just my two cents.
That is one of my concerns, that my family will jump on the suicide prevention bandwagon when I vehemently oppose it. It's a disgrace to me, to do such a thing, in my name.
I have researched my path but I have also researched the aftermath and it seems to be a running theme that this is the movement those still alive turn to.
To me, it's insanely ironic and in poor taste..disrespectful. I have only really spoken to one person outside of this forum who was basically as understanding as you can get after the fact of losing someone to suicide. I wish more people were like them, they are an anomaly, they have a lot of grief and plenty to mull over that causes them pain but they still never invalidated their loved one's decision and they also tried to do the same for me for the brief time we talked. It should never be prevent-suicide, it should always be prevent-suffering.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Disco Biscuit, Sensei and Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
It's either this or it's just virtue signaling. It's so damn hard to tell nowadays.

Reactions: Disco Biscuit, Sensei and LastFlowers
Thin Chew

Thin Chew

世界以痛吻我 要我报之以歌
Mar 3, 2019
those who talked about suicide hotline, do you call them when you are in trouble? Depress? No. Most doesn't.

Reactions: Disco Biscuit
torimandy

torimandy

Fear is the mind killer
Aug 3, 2020
Every time crap like this comes up in my twitter feed I have a 7 panel answer to it explaining exactly what happens when you call that number. Then I say the person suggesting it all probably has so many resources to help many people change thier lives, but is selfish and unwilling to help so he passes the buck to a hotline.

A post like this is akin to someone saying " I will pray for you", which is nothing more than a way for people to say I ain't gonna help you other than the smallest thing I can do that costs me nothing.

Reactions: LastFlowers and Disco Biscuit
Maka hiamoe

Maka hiamoe

Dec 10, 2020
I have 3 questions which get increasingly more stupid :
- How does he know that ?
- Does he think the world is better with you in it, regardless of who you are and what you did ?
- Does he think it's a shame Hitler never got to see his sign ?

• Love
Reactions: Disco Biscuit