• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I asked myself whether to make a poll but I think this topic is not good for that because it is way too much part of the political culture war. Recently Robert Kagan a political analyst published an article in The Washingon Post with the exact same title of this thread. (without question mark though)

I read a German version of the article published in a German journal. I am not sure where I agree or disagree. He has some pretty interesting and new thoughts/ insightful comparisons. Many will say it is pure fearmongering. I will provide you with a summary.

Here is the full version. Not sure whether accessible in your country.
It is worth to spend the time. The summary is pretty superficial.

Robert Kagan's article titled "A Trump dictatorship is increasingly inevitable" argues that Donald Trump's return to the presidency would lead to a dictatorship in the United States. Kagan claims that Trump's power comes from his following, not from the institutions of American government, and his devoted voters love him precisely because he crosses lines and ignores the old boundaries. They feel empowered by it, and that in turn empowers him. Kagan further argues that Trump will not be contained by the courts or the rule of law. On the contrary, he is going to use the trials to display his power. That's why he wants them televised. Even before the trials begin, he is toying with the judges, forcing them to try to muzzle him, defying their orders. Kagan believes that the likeliest outcome of the trials will be to demonstrate our judicial system's inability to contain someone like Trump and, incidentally, to reveal its impotence as a check should he become president. Kagan also suggests that Trump could make himself a dictator for life if he chooses to do so.

Reactions: Forever Sleep
havenohope

havenohope

Lost
Dec 20, 2023
Yeah it feels like it's just a matter of time. Even if we're fortunate enough to have another trumpless term, he's pointed out the clear flaw in our system that it is absolutely in favor of the rich and powerful and any attempt to change that will fail. Whoever comes next will just pick up where he left off until were a dictatorship. We're fucked. Absolutely fucked.

Reactions: Forever Sleep
Heavenly Pup

Heavenly Pup

Reincarnated
Sep 18, 2021
No... that's all just the usual hyperbolic TDS nonsense.

The author of the article:
In 1997, Kagan co-founded the now-defunct neoconservative think tank Project for the New American Century with William Kristol. Through the work of the PNAC, from 1998, Kagan was an early and strong advocate of military action in Syria, Iran, Afghanistan as well as to "remove Mr. Hussein and his regime from power." After the 1998 bombing of Iraq was announced Kagan said "bombing Iraq isn't enough" and called on Clinton to send ground troops to Iraq. In January 2002, Kagan and Kristol falsely claimed in a Weekly Standard article that Saddam Hussein was supporting the "existence of a terrorist training camp in Iraq, complete with a Boeing 707 for practicing hijackings, and filled with non-Iraqi radical Muslims". Kagan and Kristol further alleged that the September 11 hijacker Mohamed Atta met with an Iraqi intelligence official several months before the attacks. The allegations were later shown to be false
Another neocon war pig that has been embedded in the establishment since the 2nd-term Reagan administration hates Trump. It's now fashionable to align political beliefs with Bushite Republicans. Considering the article's author's track record and laughably hysterical title, I don't know if this is supposed to dissuade or encourage Trump support.

Captive_Mind515

Captive_Mind515

King or street sweeper, dance with grim reaper!
Jul 18, 2023
It's strange, the Biden presidency has coincided with the world coming closer to a nuclear exchange than ever before in human history. (if you believe the so-called experts who forecast such things) But yet, the left in America seems far more concerned about some old fat businessman with orange skin, who likes to blurt out some rather loopy statements from time to time. A guy who had a full term in office, and strangely enough democracy didn't end and we didn't have all this apocalyptic lets fight the Russians with their 5,000 nukes and "see how that goes" malarkey.... not to mention all the instability around global food and fuel shortages which are having a deep impact on the poorest parts of the world.

I'm sorry, but given the choice I would pick Trump over Biden. I don't particularly like either of them, but the Biden administration just seems to be totally beholden to the neocons and fully on board with the old fashioned view of ruling by fear and force. With the likes of Russia and China, that's now far too dangerous a game to play with too much at stake. I would be utterly terrified by what might happen in a 2nd Biden term. Hopefully the democrats can go back to being the party that believed in peace and was largely anti-war... otherwise they are going to alienate much of their voter base. Thankfully I'm European and I don't have to vote in your elections, because it's quite a depressing time in US politics imho. Hopefully it's just blip and you guys can wipe the slate clean and bring through some fresh leaders with new ideas in the near future.