IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Mange
Aug 6, 2020
A Supermarket I worked for made fun of me in one of there adverts, I only worked there for less than 3 months
To name it and point it out would be humiliating, why might they have done this?

I know it seems unbelievable but word for word of something I said appeared in this mocking advert, you could say it was coincidence but what I said very specific.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: TrailerTrash, Alec, Leech and 12 others
ocd is bad

ocd is bad

-
Jun 26, 2020
That's awful, I'm sorry they did that to you.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
VIBRITANNIA

VIBRITANNIA

lelouch. any pronouns. pfp is by pixiv id 3217872.
Aug 10, 2020
people just want to shit on others because it makes them feel better about themselves, or it gives them a quick laugh or two. that's sadly just the way society is. i'm sorry that happened to you.

• Hugs
Reactions: Homecoming, ocd is bad, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Mange
Aug 6, 2020
what's strange with any gaslighting is there is no-way to prove anything, you end up at the end of the noose but you've had no explanation, no-one is held to account, where is the justice, what was the reason your just made out to be paranoid or something it's dire.

• Hugs
Reactions: Good4Nothing, Brink and not-2-b-the-answer
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
That is so wrong. :angry: People are terrible... that's why so many of us want to leave this shithole planet.

Reactions: Homecoming
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
Surely they haven't made a tv ad to mock you personally? Maybe what you said was marketing genius so they nicked it? Hard to say without knowing what it was.

Reactions: dieornottodie and Deleted member 18655
IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Mange
Aug 6, 2020
I honestly find it bizarre and think I must be crazy! I really do it's beyond belief but it's word for word in a comedy type theme, believe, I myself can't believe it and to tell people would be humiliating. I don't know what to say I was hopping someone else had a similar story to make me feel better

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
A stranger told my sister "You're even stupider than you look!" Which is true, but how did the stranger know? (It's not at all the same as your story but I'm trying!)

• Wow
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Good4Nothing and Homecoming
IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Mange
Aug 6, 2020
I know it sounds unbelievable but it was word for word on something specific, it doesn't make any scene I know, I can't explain it but it has contributed to my goal of ctb.

• Hugs
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
Could it be that what you said is a well known phrase but you don't realise it? Without knowing what it was it's hard to say. PM if you want, I won't tell anyone.

IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Mange
Aug 6, 2020
I don't want to give anything away because it's humiliating, but it wasn't something well known, you would have to have heard it, that's what's strange, I admit it sounds totally unbelievable that's why it's hit so hard.

I was on my last legs not doing anything barely functioning, when I saw it on TV and was like no that can't be real.

• Aww..
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and inactive
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
But no one here knows who you are irl, so it shouldn't be humiliaiting? I've done some / had some really humiliating things happen to me.

• Hugs
IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Mange
Aug 6, 2020
I know but if I told you the advert and everything it would be comical yes, but it was the invasion of privacy, I have no interest in even functioning so this was like a total wack in the face.

• Aww..
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
OK well it's up to you of course. What I was meaning was maybe you're making this into more than it really is, maybe it wasn't about you and a different pair of eyes might see something different. But I understand it's uncomfotable to tell someone else. All I can suggest is try not to think about it, but I know that isn't going to be helpful.

Deleted member 18655

Deleted member 18655

Enlightened
Jun 4, 2020
Has anyone who knows you in real life seen it? I'd ask someone for their opinion. If they feel the same way, I'd approach the supermarket. (aren't they supposed to get your permission for something like this?). If they don't, then you'll know it's just your opinion of it and you can just wait for it to stop being shown. You might be watching it with the eyes of someone who's had a horrible experience and that no one else will see them as being slanderous.

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and Soul
IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Mange
Aug 6, 2020
well it is a catch 22 because to point it out would be humiliating, I kind of was hopping maybe somewhere on the deepest darkest Net someone would have a experience similar because I know it sounds fantastical that's why it's such a blow.

(sorry knocked post halfway through)

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I didn't mean to make light of your story; I was just trying (badly) to come up with something that was publicly humiliating in a similar way. Here's a better one: A tacky tabloid printed details about my marriage that I'd talked to a psychiatrist about. The idiot psychiatrist had told my situation to her neighbour, a tacky tabloid writer. Ffs.

It would be much easier for us to grasp if you'd tell us what the scenario in the ad is. But you aren't going to, so these are just shots in the dark.

There are witnesses who heard you say this thing. Can you talk to any of them? They already know what you said, so get them to sign statements confirming that they heard you, then talk to a lawyer about getting a cease-and-desist order and/or suing the store.

IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Mange
Aug 6, 2020
It's not really a cease-and-desist, if someone told me the same story I would be in disbelief but would not for the life of me believe it, but I'm saying it's true, what it's signaling to me is how much people hate me obviously, I just wondered if other people who were living on the very edge of normal society have had this happen to them like it's some kind of sign saying we know about you and don't like you or something, I really don't know ???

• Hugs
Escargot Shorts

Escargot Shorts

Tears-of-a-Clown Ass Bitch
Sep 26, 2018
i'm confused, is this like a local grocery store getting a commercial? and like. it was filmed there? and then. this thing you did got into the script for it? and it was for comedic effect?

something doesn't add up.

in any event, it doesn't sound like a good commercial. and it sounds like a lot more effort than warranted. like ever. so, whatever the case is, if someone went through all this just to make a veiled, specific reference to you in a commercial as if it were a taylor swift song. well, it just sounds like they're really pathetic people tbh

A

alexit

Mage
Jun 3, 2020
Something similar happened to me. People are assholes. I hope you do have legal recourse.

IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Mange
Aug 6, 2020
first I know it seems unrealistic that's part of the reason it's really got me creeped out, it's one of the big supermarkets and something I said while working in one of there stores was then later in one of the adverts word for word in a mocking manor, so I have no idea I really don't, I assumed maybe other people might of had a similar experience, like your low we'll make fun of you hahaha , I really don't know.

Edit: I made some edits, always doing that :)

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Escargot Shorts

Escargot Shorts

Sep 26, 2018
Something similar happened to me. People are assholes. I hope you do have legal recourse.
oh wow do tell, in that not only would OP maybe feel less alone in this but like. i've never known this to happen. like. maybe in other forms of media, but a commercial is just. super wild

T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
i'm confused, is this like a local grocery store getting a commercial? and like. it was filmed there? and then. this thing you did got into the script for it? and it was for comedic effect?

something doesn't add up.

in any event, it doesn't sound like a good commercial. and it sounds like a lot more effort than warranted. like ever. so, whatever the case is, if someone went through all this just to make a veiled, specific reference to you in a commercial as if it were a taylor swift song. well, it just sounds like they're really pathetic people tbh
That's why I was trying to get him/her to say what exactly happened. TV ads cost a fortune, like the guy who owns vanarama was spending 50K a pop and that's peanuts for tv commercials, so to spend a fortune on making a commercial, and then 10's of thousands a time to show it just to make fun of someone they don't like would be nuts.

Commercials have one purpose - increase sales. (well, 2, increase brand awareness - which is to increase sales anyway) - not to make fun of someone.

I think he's misinterpreting what happened, or what he did was funny in a cool way so they used it, but not to make fun of him but because people would like it.

Reactions: IsThisTheEnd?
Escargot Shorts

Escargot Shorts

Sep 26, 2018
Commercials have one purpose - increase sales. (well, 2, increase brand awareness - which is to increase sales anyway) - not to make fun of someone.
lol yeah it's like the one time an institution isn't out to get you, because it's economically not feasible.
the fact that it's a larger chain weakens the argument, not strengthens it.
i've worked in minimum wage retail before. i could have dropped a turd on the display cakes and that wouldn't even find its way to Advertising

Reactions: TheQ22
A

alexit

Mage
Jun 3, 2020
is there anyway you could elaborate if you feel you can.
I was a patient at a clinic and they took what I did and turned into a running joke that went across campus. Thankfully my name wasn't attached to it but just showed how much people can be assholes with people just going about their day. Have you spoken with a lawyer?

• Aww..
Reactions: Brink, IsThisTheEnd? and Escargot Shorts
IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Mange
Aug 6, 2020
I know what your saying and the thought someone would go through all that effort I can only think of a few possibilities.
*something I said really upset the company?
*some kind of crime happened and my sudden departure I was suspected or something like that, I really have no idea.
I was a patient at a clinic and they took what I did and turned into a running joke that went across campus. Thankfully my name wasn't attached to it but just showed how much people can be assholes with people just going about their day. Have you spoken with a lawyer?
No, I could never prove it
it would be humiliating to bring it up
and lets face it, it does seem a bit far fetched, but that's one of the reasons it's like what? hang on?

but what you put does sound similar.

Last edited:
Escargot Shorts

Escargot Shorts

Sep 26, 2018
I know what your saying and the though someone would go through all that effort I can only think of a few possibilities.
*something I said really upset the company?
*some kind of crime happened and my sudden departure I was suspected or something like that, I really have no idea.
so now you're being mocked in a commercial because you were suspected of a crime?

listen, i'm not trying to be antagonizing, but this isn't rational and a lot of conclusion jumping.

(safe to say that a lawyer would not take this seriously, btw, super sorry)

Reactions: IsThisTheEnd?
IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Mange
Aug 6, 2020
I know, I'm not looking to take legal action and I totally understand where you coming from but that is just the result of me trying to explain to myself and trying to come up with a possible answer.

Escargot Shorts

Escargot Shorts

Sep 26, 2018
have you considered confirmation bias though? that all your theories are to throw out the notion of coincidence for words you won't even tell us, as an anonymous person to anonymous people, and look for ways that agree with what you think is going on. i can understand that coming up with an airtight reasoning miiiiiiiiiiiiight help but i actually don't think it will bring you any comfort and it would just cause you more distress.

Reactions: IsThisTheEnd?, TheQ22 and alexit