Hirokami

Hirokami

Out of order
Feb 21, 2021
Sure, being in a new relationship feels great, but that honeymoon phase eventually wears out. Then what is one left with? Either constant arguments as the lovers start to realize each other's flaws or a passionless commitment. And honestly, those are the better scenarios. The worst case scenario is that you date someone for five years who needs more dopamine and decides you're not enough so they end up cheating on you for someone "better" (read: newer). That or, in an even worse case scenario, you end up getting cucked as your significant other convinces you that open relationships are A-OK because this is the current year; you're so scared of losing them because you're insecure, hence why you hesitate to disagree with them. And, if you're wondering, no the lattermost didn't happen to me; though, if you spend some time on relationship subreddits, you'll see what I mean. Though, I'll leave that there as that's not the main focus of this post. Also, the fact that over half of marriages end up in divorce is telling, too.

To be fair, I could be biased because I have yet to be in a decent relationship that meets my emotional needs. At the same time, I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said before. I do think a lot of these problems can be fixed if people weren't so inherently prideful and could actually have a decent conversation, though. I've noticed the few lasting relationships work because both parties are actually able to air their grievances in a mature, constructive manner. However, those are rare and one's much more likely to be dumped after two years. Then the cycle repeats until (a you give up as you're done with the constant heartbreak or (b you find the unicorn who can actually engage in mature discussions. At this rate, being single would be way more relaxing. Though, I do understand a lot of people here desire to be in a relationship regardless of the odds. Not saying that desire is invalid and, as people, we do desire companionship. It's just, due what I hear and my general bad luck with people, I've become jaded to love and felt as if I needed to get this off my chest. Anyhow, thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

• Hugs
Reactions: looseye, achromatic, ColorlessTrees and 2 others
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I don't agree 100% with everything you have said here, but our outlooks are pretty similar. Relationships just seem like a lot of work for very little gain. My parents' marriage was crap, and I just don't see many enviable relationships among the people I know.

Reactions: Hirokami
Hirokami

Hirokami

Out of order
Feb 21, 2021
I don't agree 100% with everything you have said here, but our outlooks are pretty similar. Relationships just seem like a lot of work for very little gain. My parents' marriage was crap, and I just don't see many enviable relationships among the people I know.
Yeah, same. Most of the relationships I came across are very short-term, maybe lasting two years at best. And I just see discontent from both partners in the long-term ones, even in the very few relationships I've been in. And speaking of parents, mine also had a problematic marriage. They were married for 30+ years and lived apart for more than 10 until my father's death.

Reactions: Celerity
Zegers

Zegers

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
It's how it works, it's a great investment for what it can yield, why do you think tinder has been such a hit

Hirokami

Hirokami

Out of order
Feb 21, 2021
It's how it works, it's a great investment for what it can yield, why do you think tinder has been such a hit
Fair enough. Tinder wouldn't be as successful if decent, long-term relationships were in abundance (or even largely desired). Most people are looking for dopamine hits, which is what the early stages of love brings. One-night stands are also pretty effective in this.

Though, I guess the thought of dating multiple people in a short time is exhausting for me, especially since most people aren't even worth it (also, bold for me to assume I could even net that many people). Though, tbf my dopamine receptors might be shot so there's that.

Reactions: Celerity