C

Claimingmylife

May 1, 2021
I have a few fears over CTB but this one, I don't see it addressed very often, if ever: most "peaceful" deaths rely on falling unconscious long enough before all the bad things really start happening...

But what if, in reality, even being unconscious, we still feel everything?

Like, how do we know/are we sure that unconscious people don't register pain, feeling of suffocation etc. in their brain? Just because we're not here saying explicitly "I cannot breathe" or "I'm in pain" does not necessarily mean we're fine?

Now, it's actually not just about CTB that we should be asking ourselves... even general anesthesia for surgeries have this problem. Do we know for sure that unconscious people are not feeling anything? How do we know?

Because if we're not sure, then it might become a difficult choice between a "peaceful" but long ending (e.g. SN, nembutal) and a painful but shorter ending (e.g. hanging or jumping).

So is there evidence one way or another?

• Love
Reactions: siray, ithappens, Existingnotliving and 6 others
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
Wouldn't people have reported such in failed attempts and, less forum related, near deaths in general?

Reactions: electrojellysoup, FuneralCry and newave3
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
Now, it's actually not just about CTB that we should be asking ourselves... even general anesthesia for surgeries have this problem. Do we know for sure that unconscious people are not feeling anything? How do we know?
Because hundreds of thousands of anesthesiologists & surgeons would've gotten sued for torturing patients by now?

Reactions: Astral316, siray, poisonedminds and 9 others
F

fishtacos4me

Apr 15, 2021
Actually there is a little bit science knows about this.
Yes, there are some very rare cases where people awaken during surgery. Those are really rare. I've had many surgeries and never felt a thing.

I've almost bled out twice in my life - once you lose enough blood, you also lose feeling in your body. In my experience, bleeding out is better than peaceful. You of course feel whatever causes you to lose blood, but then after loosing some (I think it's about 20% but don't quote me) you lose physical sensation and become peaceful - or even euphoric - and sleepier than you have ever felt in your life. I felt like I could just drift off to lullaby land without a care in the world. I had serious issues and should have been in terrible pain, but felt great after some blood loss.

I recently read about something the heart does in drowning victims - once the brain gets to a certain point of no return in oxygen deprivation due to drowning, it sends signals to the heart that actually wreck it. The brain sends signals that do incredible damage to the heart and make it stop. If this didn't happen, your heart could go on
trying to keep you alive for quite some time.

I also read something from a man who studied dying people. He spent years sitting with those who were dying of illnesses and / or old age. He made a list of common occurrences that he witnessed. In almost every case, the person fell asleep just before dying. This guy is a doctor and he concluded that at least in the cases he observed, a human's brain goes into a sleep like state right before death.
We aren't aware of much when in that state.

Your body has built in safeguards against some forms of suffering - like passing out, going into shock, shutting down organs, etc.

I'm no medical professional, but if I know about those two things, well there are going to be hundreds of things I don't know. I'm sure the body / brain have other ways of protecting us, too.

I believe that "peaceful" is truly peaceful

• Love
Reactions: siray, greyhound, checkouttime and 9 others
W

watchingthewheels

Enlightened
Jan 23, 2021
I can tell you this much: I was out cold during my kidney stone procedure, and felt absolutely NOTHING while under, and no memories. And that's a damn good thing, because the things they had to do to break up the stones stuck in my ureter, well...

Now, compared to the pain I was in leading up to the procedure, dealing with the stones, that was torture. And the pain after waking up, peeing blood for days (the first few hours were literally bloody hell...), and having a temporary stent inside me for a week...well, that was nothing compared to the stent removal. Yeah, they rip that out of you the hard way...I was AWAKE for that, with only a local anesthetic, and that was traumatic; I had nightmares for days.

But while I was unconscious for the procedure itself? Nothing. Blissful ignorance. Glory be to the discoverers of anaestheia.

• Wow
Reactions: Astral316, siray, greyhound and 5 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I think that without a brain, there shouldn't be neither a consciousness nor a nervous system so, I think we won't be feeling anything.
Check this thread out, it has really helped me not to fear death:

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/dont-be-afraid-of-death.47413/

Reactions: demuic, motel rooms and watchingthewheels
D

Deleted_9cKnXB34QG

Mage
Jun 26, 2018
I've completely passed out several times due to my heart condition and let me tell you - once you're out, you're out. It's a blissful state where nothing exists, not even time, the best fucking feeling ever, way better than deep sleep.
There was a post on ask reddit about NDEs where people describe passing out/dying as very peaceful. There's really nothing to worry about when it comes to unconsciousness.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Wrennie, BottomlessPit, Scribble Fan and 6 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I would put up with a bit of suffering if it meant I would be dead by the end of it. I have never heard of any experiences that people have had that are like that though, I think once you are unconciscious, you are gone and that is it.

Reactions: demuic, fishtacos4me, motel rooms and 1 other person
F

fishtacos4me

Apr 15, 2021
I would put up with a bit of suffering if it meant I would be dead by the end of it.
The more depressed I get the less I worry about the suffering. I'm suffering now damn it.
I've been sick, I've been injured, I've been in pain, I know how to suffer. I need it to be just easy enough that I can take it without backing out. It doesn't have to be pain free if it's quick. It doesn't have to be quick unless it hurts so bad that I couldn't continue. I just wish it was over with.

Reactions: Wrennie, FuneralCry and watchingthewheels
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
I've been under anesthesia, there was no sensation, no experience, nothing. If you are truly unconscious you cannot feel anything, the brain isn't capable of it.

Reactions: Wrennie, BottomlessPit, FuneralCry and 1 other person
C

Claimingmylife

May 1, 2021
I've been under anesthesia, there was no sensation, no experience, nothing. If you are truly unconscious you cannot feel anything, the brain isn't capable of it.
I've been under anesthesia too but I have absolutely no memory, so how do I tell? Having no memory of something is different from not having experienced it. We don't go around torturing babies just because they won't remember.

I wonder if scientists already studied this by doing fRMI and brain scans and thelike to people under anesthesia to see if the brain registered pain or not? Though I guess if it did we'd see significant heartrate increases and signs of distress during surgeries, but still... I can't help worrying.

Reactions: Efilismislife
Moose.000

Moose.000

"Everything is meaningless" ~King Solomon
Apr 10, 2021
Depending on your age which is more peaceful? An end with suffering or suffering without an end. If I have to suffer horribly for 20 minutes after ingesting SN or 10 minutes dangling from a rope, I find it better than suffering for another 40+ years on this planet.

Reactions: BottomlessPit and watchingthewheels
C

Claimingmylife

May 1, 2021
Depending on your age which is more peaceful? An end with suffering or suffering without an end. If I have to suffer horribly for 20 minutes after ingesting SN or 10 minutes dangling from a rope, I find it better than suffering for another 40+ years on this planet.
That's a good point. But then it may also change which mode of exit to chose. For example, if SN takes 2 hours to kill you and, despite being unconscious/sleeping you still suffer throughout, then it may be more interesting, in fact, to chose hanging, which is unpleasant too but quicker. Or cyanide if you can get some.

And let me be clear I'm not advocating for or against anything, and I'm not trying to create fearmongering. I'm just wondering aloud because it's one thing that scares me (mostly the risk of having a feeling of suffocation, the idea of "air hunger" alone gives me anxiety attacks). In fact what I'm mostly hoping for is someone telling me "actually this has been studies by scientists, here, look at this study: the brain does not register anything when inconscious". This would really help me being at peace with the idea of using SN (which I plan to buy anyway).

Reactions: Efilismislife and Moose.000
Moose.000

Moose.000

"Everything is meaningless" ~King Solomon
Apr 10, 2021
That's a good point. But then it may also change which mode of exit to chose. For example, if SN takes 2 hours to kill you and, despite being unconscious/sleeping you still suffer throughout, then it may be more interesting, in fact, to chose hanging, which is unpleasant too but quicker. Or cyanide if you can get some.

And let me be clear I'm not advocating for or against anything, and I'm not trying to create fearmongering. I'm just wondering aloud because it's one thing that scares me (mostly the risk of having a feeling of suffocation, the idea of "air hunger" alone gives me anxiety attacks). In fact what I'm mostly hoping for is someone telling me "actually this has been studies by scientists, here, look at this study: the brain does not register anything when inconscious". This would really help me being at peace with the idea of using SN (which I plan to buy anyway).
I've always wondered the same. I read over and over things on the line of "at so and so point they became unconscious" assuming they no longer feel anything. But who's to say the individual is not still suffering through that stage of death, it's just not visible to us because they appear "peaceful."

Reactions: Wrennie and Efilismislife
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
I've always wondered the same. I read over and over things on the line of "at so and so point they became unconscious" assuming they no longer feel anything. But who's to say the individual is not still suffering through that stage of death, it's just not visible to us because they appear "peaceful."
Because everything points to the fact that when you're close enough to death to be unconscious, you're not capable of feeling anything...

Efilismislife

Efilismislife

Psychopath family tortured me
May 25, 2021
Im surprised how so many people jump into conclusion without read the study before answering:shy: there are many study done about it& brain scan and anesthesiologist explain it

When viewing an anesthetized body reacting to a scalpel cut, one senses, however faintly and feebly, a mysterious presence — the pain of a still-sentient being. How can the pain experience be a property of consciousness if an unconscious patient's body also reacts to pain?
Anesthesiologists cannot resolve these vexing questions and contradictions raised by their work.
A patient can experience a noxious stimulus while unconscious under anesthesia, and then later, after waking up, recall the event in the form of a painful memory.

We do not know how the experience of the body under general anesthesia can sometimes cross the boundary between unconsciousness and consciousness
such instances of recall have been the basis of lawsuits.

I can tell you this much: I was out cold during my kidney stone procedure, and felt absolutely NOTHING while under, and no memories. And that's a damn good thing, because the things they had to do to break up the stones stuck in my ureter, well...

Now, compared to the pain I was in leading up to the procedure, dealing with the stones, that was torture. And the pain after waking up, peeing blood for days (the first few hours were literally bloody hell...), and having a temporary stent inside me for a week...well, that was nothing compared to the stent removal. Yeah, they rip that out of you the hard way...I was AWAKE for that, with only a local anesthetic, and that was traumatic; I had nightmares for days.

But while I was unconscious for the procedure itself? Nothing. Blissful ignorance. Glory be to the discoverers of anaestheia.

Thats because Drugs can give your retrograde amnesia. Thats why you cant form a memory. A damage to the brain can also do so(and stroke patient can also get amnesia) You can google about it for more info.

Also havent you heard of "anesthesia awareness" cases? Where people become aware during anesthesia but theyre unresponsive so the doctor didnt notice. Thats also why scientist try to create invention to record brain signals to prevent it

Last edited:
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
Im surprised how so many people jump into conclusion without read the study before answering:shy: there are many study done about it& brain scan and anesthesiologist explain it

Thats because Drugs can give your retrograde amnesia. Thats why you cant form a memory. A damage to the brain can also do so(and stroke patient can also get amnesia) You can google about it for more info.
It doesn't really matter in the case of going unconscious before dying. You can't experience or remember anything afterward when you're dead.

And even if the brain may register pain signals, as evidenced in this thread there are many recollections of people who have gone unconscious and felt nothing. Even in one of the articles you linked they described the difference between those in a vegetative state vs those in a minimally conscious state, such that they can even still respond to their name.

All of that is different to someone going unconscious before they die.

It's unnecessary to try and convince someone they're going to feel pain when nothing points to that being true.

Reactions: The Lonely, checkouttime, watchingthewheels and 1 other person
C

Claimingmylife

May 1, 2021
To me there's a difference between "I don't recall any pain" and "I felt nothing". Just because you don't remember, don't mean you did not suffer.

I don't remember anything from before I was three, yet you still won't be stabbing random babies because "meh, they won't remember anything anyway".

Experience and memory are two vastly different things. From the New Atlantis piece:

When a surgeon slices into tissue or drills into bone, an unconscious patient's heart rate and blood pressure will often rise, his forehead will grow dank with sweat, and his eyes will begin to tear.
This is absolutely terrifying. Not just for CTB but even for "routine" surgeries. Somehow I've always thought local anesthesia was preferable when possible. At least, being awake and conscious, I know for sure I'm not experiencing any pain.

• Aww..
Reactions: Efilismislife and Wrennie
W

watchingthewheels

Enlightened
Jan 23, 2021
RE: Whether I felt NO pain, or just didn't "recall" any pain:

You can split hairs all you want about it- I KNOW what pain FEELS like. I felt it BEFORE anesthesia, and I felt it AFTER. But during it, I don't care if flying antibodies came in and magically whisked all the pain away; I know the difference between pain and no pain. And I cherished that brief period of no-pain, whether the reason was I wasn't feeling it or remembering it.

My own experience was enough to tell me that I was damn grateful for the anesthesia. I had traumatic afterthoughts of the kidney stent removal, for which I was CONSCIOUS, and not under. I have NO traumatic afterthoughts of the kidney stone removal and stent insertion, though. NONE. So I know the difference. I don't need any study to tell me, and I don't need any "past-life regressions" or memory-implants about it, either. When a doctor shoves a plastic tube up your "most valuable player", you either KNOW or you DON'T. There is no in-between! I felt NOTHING during the procedure while unconscious.

If it were simply a matter of NOT remembering feeling pain in-between conscious bouts of pain, well, then, bring on the amnesia! The less pain I remember, the better. Again, I was already in pain, so the less remembered, the better.

And that was in a case where I was expected to wake up. In the case of not waking up, like someone else said, I'm not worried about remembering it, later. And If I'm CBT'ing, the momentary pain that I MIGHT feel and not remember is worth the price of getting rid of the pain I'm feeling BEFORE hand, for me.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: demuic
Wrennie

Wrennie

-
Dec 18, 2019
Actually there is a little bit science knows about this.
Yes, there are some very rare cases where people awaken during surgery. Those are really rare. I've had many surgeries and never felt a thing.

I've almost bled out twice in my life - once you lose enough blood, you also lose feeling in your body. In my experience, bleeding out is better than peaceful. You of course feel whatever causes you to lose blood, but then after loosing some (I think it's about 20% but don't quote me) you lose physical sensation and become peaceful - or even euphoric - and sleepier than you have ever felt in your life. I felt like I could just drift off to lullaby land without a care in the world. I had serious issues and should have been in terrible pain, but felt great after some blood loss.

I recently read about something the heart does in drowning victims - once the brain gets to a certain point of no return in oxygen deprivation due to drowning, it sends signals to the heart that actually wreck it. The brain sends signals that do incredible damage to the heart and make it stop. If this didn't happen, your heart could go on
trying to keep you alive for quite some time.

I also read something from a man who studied dying people. He spent years sitting with those who were dying of illnesses and / or old age. He made a list of common occurrences that he witnessed. In almost every case, the person fell asleep just before dying. This guy is a doctor and he concluded that at least in the cases he observed, a human's brain goes into a sleep like state right before death.
We aren't aware of much when in that state.

Your body has built in safeguards against some forms of suffering - like passing out, going into shock, shutting down organs, etc.

I'm no medical professional, but if I know about those two things, well there are going to be hundreds of things I don't know. I'm sure the body / brain have other ways of protecting us, too.

I believe that "peaceful" is truly peaceful
If only it had safeguards against psychological pain :mmm:

Last edited:
Reactions: The Lonely
Efilismislife

Efilismislife

May 25, 2021
It seems you dont fully read it so im gonna quote it. In the website theres also link to the study

Coma patients might feel pleasure and pain like the rest of us. This opens up a minefield of questions for how best to treat unconscious people.

Emerging evidence suggests the unconscious can experience many of the things that conscious people do.

Recent developments in cognitive science provides empirical evidence that the unconscious brain is able to perform activities that we (wrongly) think are exclusive to conscious beings.

Contemporary neuroscience and neurotechnology appear to open a new window into the residual mental life of brain injured patients and show what a very damaged brain is still able to do

If Jane's unconscious brain can perform the same tasks as the conscious patient in the next ward, then the two are comparable.
Her injuries are so severe that she is diagnosed as being "in a vegetative state" Yet scans show that her brain responds to the sound of someone else's voice.

The answer is that consciousness and the unconscious might be much more similar than we think.
The unconscious is not disconnected from awareness and it contributes massively to shape our aware life.

Consciousness is usually defined as the opposite of unconscious, recent research suggests that this kind of interpretation is too simplistic and should be updated and the concept of unconscious emotion is increasingly gaining scientific literacy.

It doesn't really matter in the case of going unconscious before dying. You can't experience or remember anything afterward when you're dead.

And even if the brain may register pain signals, as evidenced in this thread there are many recollections of people who have gone unconscious and felt nothing. Even in one of the articles you linked they described the difference between those in a vegetative state vs those in a minimally conscious state, such that they can even still respond to their name.

All of that is different to someone going unconscious before they die.

It's unnecessary to try and convince someone they're going to feel pain when nothing points to that being true.

Also along with those research. It reminds me, there are videos of a girl who died now from genetic lung disease from born(know her from a documentary and an inspired a movie)

she made vlog before she died and tell her experience.
her whole life shes experience dying, comma, flatline and many fatal surgeries in hospital.
How she always prepare to die and want to come peace with it but when it actually happen it hits differently. She did say she didnt see any angel, jesus or whatever. Funny.

RE: Whether I felt NO pain, or just didn't "recall" any pain:

You can split hairs all you want about it- I KNOW what pain FEELS like. I felt it BEFORE anesthesia, and I felt it AFTER. But during it, I don't care if flying antibodies came in and magically whisked all the pain away; I know the difference between pain and no pain. And I cherished that brief period of no-pain, whether the reason was I wasn't feeling it or remembering it.

My own experience was enough to tell me that I was damn grateful for the anesthesia. I had traumatic afterthoughts of the kidney stent removal, for which I was CONSCIOUS, and not under. I have NO traumatic afterthoughts of the kidney stone removal and stent insertion, though. NONE. So I know the difference. I don't need any study to tell me, and I don't need any "past-life regressions" or memory-implants about it, either. When a doctor shoves a plastic tube up your "most valuable player", you either KNOW or you DON'T. There is no in-between! I felt NOTHING during the procedure while unconscious.

If it were simply a matter of NOT remembering feeling pain in-between conscious bouts of pain, well, then, bring on the amnesia! The less pain I remember, the better. Again, I was already in pain, so the less remembered, the better.

And that was in a case where I was expected to wake up. In the case of not waking up, like someone else said, I'm not worried about remembering it, later. And If I'm CBT'ing, the momentary pain that I MIGHT feel and not remember is worth the price of getting rid of the pain I'm feeling BEFORE hand, for me.
Havent you heard of "anesthesia awareness" cases? Where people become aware during anesthesia but theyre unresponsive so the doctor didnt notice. Thats also why scientist try to create invention to record brain signals to prevent it

also If you dont care about pain as long as you forget it, that means whatever bad happen in this life you also shouldnt care since later you can forget it?

Like how rapist rape girls and give them drug to forget. But still when that happens the pain and agony is real. And how tsunami victim being treated to forget their memory, but still when that happen its brutal.

i dont want that. :ohh:

Last edited:
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
I'm sure plenty of people would rather endure a little pain, to end their long term suffering.

also it was mentioned that SN and N are long endings, and thats absolute BS. Clearly stuff is being posted to scare others that they will be in pain.

Last edited:
Reactions: watchingthewheels, Deleted_9cKnXB34QG, Anonymous_A and 1 other person
Efilismislife

Efilismislife

May 25, 2021
also it was mentioned that SN and N are long endings, and thats absolute BS. Clearly stuff is being posted to scare others that they will be in pain.
Sorry but why you attack the OP and other people with false allegations?

Also you misunderstood,
The OP just asking about the pain and dying process and choosing between method that quick(drug) vs slow(hanging)

Those are normal thinking process especially with people with logic and critical thinking. Dont you ever question things or just following things like sheep?

Why is it so wrong to question the claim/to re check for confirmation?

Besides, Why should strangers terrorizing other strangers on the internet? No benefit at all. Where its way much easier to suggest people to ctb in a suicidal group than to go againts(wasting too much hard work for nothing)

Doesnt make any sense at all. People have freethoughts, free choice, can make decision on their own.

Not everybody has the time and energy to bother with other peoples private life business when they didnt ask to

Last edited:
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
Sorry but why you attack the OP and other people with false allegations?

Also you misunderstood,
The OP just asking about the pain and dying process and choosing between method that quick(drug) vs slow(hanging)

Those are normal thinking process especially with people with logic and critical thinking. Dont you ever question things or just following things like sheep?

Why is it so wrong to question the claim/to re check for confirmation?

Besides, Why should strangers terrorizing other strangers on the internet? No benefit at all. Where its way much easier to suggest people to ctb in a suicidal group than to go againts(wasting too much hard work for nothing)

Doesnt make any sense at all. People have freethoughts, free choice, can make decision on their own.

Not everybody has the time and energy to bother with other peoples private life business when they didnt ask to

false accusations? they were the one who posted false information...... they said SN and N were long endings if you read what they said correctly. which is total BS

As for people terrorising strangers on the internet, you must be naive if you think that doesn't happen. especially when trying to scare people away from suicide by making them think the y are going to be in lots of pain.

It must be a coincidence that this post and a few others about pain, that are months old have suddenly popped up today. funny how your the one who replied and are the one that posted in them threads aswell

Reactions: watchingthewheels and Deleted_9cKnXB34QG
Wrennie

Wrennie

-
Dec 18, 2019
This is my worry specifically about Nembutal, but it's probably (hopefully) an unfounded fear.

Efilismislife

Efilismislife

May 25, 2021
You should learn to differentiate between baseless accusation like you made and objective reason with solid evidence. Cant you?

Theres a search function in this forum, dont you know that? so people dont spam multiple same post with same topic.

Thats why people could reply to post a week ago/a month ago. Doesnt mean those posts unimportant, cause there are many useful information being posted.

Doesnt mean newer post is always more useful than older post.

false accusations? they were the one who posted false information...... they said SN and N were long endings if you read what they said correctly. which is total BS

As for people terrorising strangers on the internet, you must be naive if you think that doesn't happen. especially when trying to scare people away from suicide by making them think the y are going to be in lots of pain.

It must be a coincidence that this post and a few others about pain, that are months old have suddenly popped up today. funny how your the one who replied and are the one that posted in them threads aswell
No, OP said drug(long) vs hanging (quick)
and if you say thats wrong, how could you say that drug/SN is quicker than hanging? Blood choke only takes seconds to cause brain death after apply. But how about SN? How long the process until the brain dies?

Besides i dont get why have to be so angry about that question?
Finding out what were gonna deal with before ctb(compare/choose method, pain level, dying process )

Last edited:
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
ok then if people want to compare methods etc here's some information. Its from a euthanasia site/group who have extensive experience on the matter. people can decide then for themselves SN is rated at 78% peacefulness and Nembutal 88%. Compared to many other methods they are right up there with the best methods available., but which method a person chooses is upto them. I can't remember any mention of a person being in pain at any stage during these 2 methods.

I choose to believe what is written by people with knowledge on the matter, rather than someone posting about how much pain and suffering there will be.

Reactions: greyhound
Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
I have had pain severe enough to pull me out of sleep (which is different than being unconscious). On the other hand, I've had anesthesia many times in my life, been so severely ill where my body and brain shut down and everything went black without any kind of med, fainted, been in a coma for ~a month, and have had whole body seizures (tonic clonic or grand mal seizures) - and every single time there was nothing. Absolutely nothing. I woke up after these events and it was like less than a second had passed. There was no awareness of anything including time. I did feel as though a mac truck had hit me when I woke up, but the key to feeling that way was waking up.

Reactions: watchingthewheels and checkouttime
E

Existingnotliving

Feb 13, 2020
I have a few fears over CTB but this one, I don't see it addressed very often, if ever: most "peaceful" deaths rely on falling unconscious long enough before all the bad things really start happening...

Like, how do we know/are we sure that unconscious people don't register pain, feeling of suffocation etc. in their brain? Just because we're not here saying explicitly "I cannot breathe" or "I'm in pain" does not necessarily mean we're fine?

Because if we're not sure, then it might become a difficult choice between a "peaceful" but long ending (e.g. SN, nembutal) and a painful but shorter ending (e.g. hanging or jumping).

My

This is one of my main fears that has just about held me back from CTB. The fear of the unknown is an absolute bitch.