Which movie should win the Best Picture Award on March 27

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
I'm curious again now, this made me wonder if we watched the same film lol, which parts had the personal parallels to the medical system and finding the correct treatment?
Was it obvious or more abstract?
Now I wonder if I missed a scene, or maybe I am just a moron.
I have only one vague idea as to what you might be referring to but I'm not sure..

Ha. You're not a moron. I guess the parallel I bought up is more abstract and personal to me. Basically I've struggled to get the right care for my physical health issues because it's more conveinient to pass off to the mental health care team instead of facing the reality of things and doing the necessary but inconvenient leg work to treat it. It's a mix of the selective understanding of things and the frustration of the people (me) that know the facts and reality of things but can't find an ear that will hear it. Like I say, it's a personal parallel. I empathised with the scientists and took brief solace in seeing a familar bizarre scenario playing out that mirrors my experience in a different industry.
PS if you're wondering why I'm still here it's because I didn't yet brave my second viewing. 😀

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: LastFlowers
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Ha. You're not a moron. I guess the parallel I bought up is more abstract and personal to me. Basically I've struggled to face get the right care for my physical health issues because it's more conveinient to pass off to the mental health care team instead of facing the reality of things and doing the necessary but inconvenient leg work to treat it. It's a mix of the selective understanding of things and the frustration of the people (me) that know the facts and reality of things but can't find an ear that will hear it. Like I say, it's a personal parallel. I empathised with the scientists and took brief solace in seeing a familar bizarre scenario playing out that mirrors my experience in a different industry.
PS if you're wondering why I'm still here it's because I didn't yet brave my second viewing. 😀
Oh I think I see what you mean now!
Which is interesting because it sounds eerily similar to my own gripes with the medical/health system, I go in there wanting a physical issue to be remedied and if they cannot figure it out (or are too lazy to try) and/or if I act "too upset" or frustrated then they instantly want to turn it into a mental health problem (when my mental distress is but a symptom from physical/environmental/permanent situational issues).
They hear what they want to hear, see what they want to see, whatever keeps their ego intact, and the patient suffers for it.
I've had so many things compound and build up because the initial issues were never treated (or negligently treated).

The mental health system and its unwarranted authority has collided with all medical professionals and they are starting to pawn patients off to psych referrals when they can't hack it.
Their motto: "When in doubt, blame the patient."
Deeming someone "mentally ill" is a perfect out.
I'm sorry you have had to deal with that bullshit as well, it's extremely defeating (caused me to give up on doctors for the most part) when we are actually TRYING to help ourselves and instead they want to deny us the proper help, and define "help" for us, just wasting our precious time and resources.

There are also various forms of discrimination where I'm from which are rife with medical professionals and staff.
For instance- if you don't have good enough insurance, they will not be as attentive and they will be much more cavalier about your detriments as they don't believe you can afford the solution anyhow.
The irony is that the more they neglect my real problems, the more I appear like a lost cause (& the more mental distress I aquire), and thus I am even less worth it to them to receive the proper answers and avenues of assistance.
I'm so tired of fighting for myself.
It's exhausting. I'm sure you are too!

Now I wonder if we were to ask these people if they've seen DLU..how much you wanna bet some of them loved it LOL despite contributing to the same issues it attempts to outline, that's how dense they are.

As for the rewatch..

7749209F D47B 4A85 A231 D3F029700779

• Love
Reactions: Smart No More
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Very well put! You totally got it. It definitely sounds like we're experiencing very similar issues with our barriers to correct treatment. It's very cathartic reading something like that though I am sorry for you too.

What drives me nuts is that it feel like you're the only one talking sense in these situations and everyone around you (medically) is treating you like you're the one doing the insulting and patronising and displaying selective ignorance. The more we protest the further it feeds the misconceptions they have of us/me. Another paradox that bugs me is that, say for addicts, they will tell them that medication/drugs is not the answer and the answer/remedy lies in following the issue to its root and treating the cause not the symptom. But if you have a bit of sadness about any other health issues or life circumstances you should take this or that mood stabiliser and see what sticks. So which is it!? Drugs or no drugs? Treat the problem or the symptoms? They're so lost in their system even they don't seem to get it. I intend to ask this question next time I get in front of the right person but I, like yourself, have given up on healthcare as it creates more problems than it solves at this stage. They literally have done me more harm than good and expect me to be thankful for it. Its almost an abusive relationship and I find myself sometime in some kind of short circuit of frustration in disbelief that this can even be happening. The fable where the emporer has no clothes often comes to mind.

But that's enough moaning from me. Suffice to say I'm glad to be speaking with someone that understands. That's so refreshing. Thank you.

Shame it will be short lived as I plan to ctb by DLU this evening. 🤣

Please feel free to DM me if you ever feel like a mutual moan or whatever. :wink:

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: Istanbulite and LastFlowers
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
what movies have you seen in 2021?
Superhero and animated movies mostly. 😛

But hey, Black Panther and Joker have been nominated for Best Picture before.

Early 2021 is a blur. I think I saw Fast and Furious 9, Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Luca, Venom 2, Eternals, some My Hero Academia movie, Encanto, and Spider-Man No Way Home. Probably some other movies but I can't remember.

Reactions: Istanbulite
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Can't wait to see who gets slapped next year.

Reactions: GrumpyFrog