The Power of the Dog

West Side Story

• Hugs
Reactions: LastFlowers and odradek
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Haven't seen all those films. Been a struggle to enjoy or analyse films like I did before getting ill. I did watch Dune though and although I usually hate remakes or reimaginings I was quite happy with this one. I enjoyed it. Might have to give the other films a view.

Last edited:
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime and Istanbulite
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
I must add, I made a mistake. I'd forgotten I'd watched Don't Look Up. I didn't make the connection when I read the title in the list earlier. It got mixed reviews but I really enjoyed it. Particularly the acknowledgement and highlighting of people's selective distraction from reality in our current modern times. People are so selectively ignorant these days. I think humanity is in some state of fever pitch oe something. We've forgotten our fundamentals as a species. Maybe too used to modern but potentially fragile comforts.

Now I'm wondering if i watched the others and forgot those lol. :))
Do you have a favourite from the list @Moomin17 ?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: odradek and Istanbulite
Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
Wow I was really tuned out this year because I have never heard of any of these movies.

Reactions: NumbItAll, LastFlowers and Mixo
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Wow I was really tuned out this year because I have never heard of any of these movies.
I was thinking the same. I was so into films a couple of years back. Gaming too. I've totally stepped out and time has continued in my periphery.

A little off topic, I watched The Handmaid's Tale over the last couple of weeks. I had wrongly assumed was a period drama of some kind and had swerved completely until I saw it pop up in context recently. It's actually based around a future distopia. It's excellent if a little dark and grim.

Reactions: LastFlowers, Istanbulite and Foresight
Istanbulite

Istanbulite

Jan 14, 2022
Even Dune?
I must add, I made a mistake. I'd forgotten I'd watched Don't Look Up. I didn't make the connection when I read the title in the list earlier. It got mixed reviews but I really enjoyed it. Particularly the acknowledgement and highlighting of people's selective distraction from reality in our current modern times. People are so selectively ignorant these days. I think humanity is in some state of fever pitch oe something. We've forgotten our fundamentals as a species. Maybe too used to modern but potentially fragile comforts.

Now I'm wondering if i watched the others and forgot those lol. :))
Do you have a favourite from the list @Moomin17 ?
I ve seen The Power of the Dog, Dune, Belfast and Don't Look Up.

My fave is Belfast atm.

• Hugs
Reactions: LastFlowers, odradek and Smart No More
Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
Even Dune?
Vaguely. I know it's a remake but I know nothing of the old or new movie. The same for West Side Story. I know it's a Broadway show and but I know nothing about it.

I stopped watching movies and television years ago. I can only watch sci-fi now. I kind of want to see Blader Runner 2049. The Handsmaid's Tale looks good too.

Reactions: LastFlowers, Smart No More and Istanbulite
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Vaguely. I know it's a remake but I know nothing of the old or new movie. The same for West Side Story. I know it's a Broadway show and but I know nothing about it.

I stopped watching movies and television years ago. I can only watch sci-fi now. I kind of want to see Blader Runner 2049. The Handsmaid's Tale looks good too.
They did a pretty good job with Blade Runner 2049 in fairness.

I like some scifi but I judge everything on individual merit. I grew up on Star Wars and it's dear to my childhood memories/heart but have been disappointed by the sequels. I enjoyed bits but overall I'd prefer to forget them ha. The Mandalorion has been a bit better though. Boba Fett is pretty decent too, though I do have some reservations about some elements.

• Love
Reactions: LastFlowers, allesistgut and Foresight
odradek

odradek

Mage
Sep 16, 2021
I've only seen Dune and Don't Look Up, and if I had to choose between the two I'd pick the latter. I plan on watching The Power of the Dog this week tho.

L

Looooser

My 2 cents
Feb 3, 2022
The only one I've seen was Don't Look Up. It was so on point with society!

Reactions: completely-done
A

allesistgut

Experienced
Jan 22, 2022
A little off topic, I watched The Handmaid's Tale over the last couple of weeks. I had wrongly assumed was a period drama of some kind and had swerved completely until I saw it pop up in context recently. It's actually based around a future distopia. It's excellent if a little dark and grim.
love "the handmaid's tale" so much! definitely gets dark, but indeed an excellent show.

Reactions: Looooser, Smart No More and LastFlowers
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Which movie/s have you seen so far and which one was your fave? [Best Picture]

Comment and / or vote

Belfast
CODA
Don't Look Up
Drive My Car
Dune
King Richard
Licorice Pizza
Nightmare Alley
The Power of the Dog

West Side Story
What a miserable list, how the hell did 'Don't Look Up' get in there? My god..that movie was awful from a film critique standpoint, a satire that became a parody of its own self.
Nauseating. (And yes, I "get" the points being alluded to in the movie, does not make it a good movie..at all.)
Haven't seen all those films. Been a struggle to enjoy or analyse films like I did before getting ill. I did watch Dune though and although I usually hate remakes or reimaginings I was quite happy with this one. I enjoyed it. Might have to give the other films a view.
Yea I have yet to see a few of them, but I know of others that SHOULD have been nominated which were snubbed for at least one steaming pile of shit.
The only one I've seen was Don't Look Up. It was so on point with society!
I thought it was ironic considering the ensemble playing the characters, and they tried to make certain people redeemable who just weren't.
It felt like all the other terrible films where they overstuff the cast with well-known names.
I absolutely loathed the movie besides a line here or there, and the whole Peter (Musk/Gates/Jobs/Whomever) character was somewhat irritatingly amusing.
Better off (for some of them)
I was thinking the same. I was so into films a couple of years back. Gaming too. I've totally stepped out and time has continued in my periphery.

THT is excellent but it generally depreciates in its worth the longer it extends its run.
Not to spoil anything (if you didn't finish it), but the S4 finale in particular was a complete joke, I was in utter disbelief at how far the show had strayed, absolute trash, like watching a corny horror movie.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: Smart No More and Istanbulite
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
What a miserable list, how the hell did 'Don't Look Up' get in there? My god..that movie was awful from a film critique standpoint, a satire that became a parody of its own self.
I thought that was intentional. I honestly saw it's bad points as fully planned out. Maybe it's more suited to a certain continents humor IDK. I'll have to look up who produced it and where its from. Maybe I gave it too much credit. I did enjoy it though. It didn't come across as a serious Academy Awards type film either way though in fairness.

EDIT: Having just looked it up I see the producer is American but to me the film had a quite british sense of humour. It's definitely a black comedy. I may have to watch it again but it's failings as I remember them weren't so terrible. Maybe I'm just not film critic material anymore. 😢

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: LastFlowers and Istanbulite
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
I've only seen Dune and Don't Look Up, and if I had to choose between the two I'd pick the latter. I plan on watching The Power of the Dog this week tho.

55F88C38 82AC 4A61 AD85 8D0D4F8D0288

• Yay!
Reactions: odradek, Smart No More and Istanbulite
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
I thought that was intentional. I honestly saw it's bad points as fully planned out. Maybe it's more suited to a certain continents humor IDK. I'll have to look up who produced it and where its from. Maybe I gave it too much credit. I did enjoy it though. It didn't come across as a serious Academy Awards type film either eay though in fairness.
No my continent loves the shit out of it apparently-I was shocked, most critics hate it and most of the populace seems to hate the critics hating it, saying they "don't get it" or that they are "one of the people being poked fun at"..it's extremely irritating considering most of these 2 points come from giant hypocrites who have their asses planted on Instagram 24/7.
I agree with the film critics on this one, whether it was trying to be awful or not, it failed as a film, it's unfunny garbage and all of the characters sucked various amounts of ass, it also fudged up its own social commentary by the end.
Satire isn't supposed to be bad for the sake of being bad.

I'm curious though, what do you consider its bad points? Which were fully planned out?
There may be some disconnect there where we are seeing different things as the "bad points".

Glad you agree it's not exactly award season material either way.

Reactions: Smart No More
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
No my continent loves the shit out of it apparently-I was shocked, most critics hate it and most of the populace seems to hate the critics hating it, saying they "don't get it" or that they are "one of the people being poked fun at"..it's extremely irritating considering most of these 2 points come from giant hypocrites who have their asses planted on Instagram 24/7.
I agree with the film critics on this one, whether it was trying to be awful or not, it failed as a film, it's unfunny garbage and all of the characters sucked various amounts of ass, it also fudged up its own social commentary by the end.
Satire isn't supposed to be bad for the sake of being bad.

I'm curious though, what do you consider its bad points? Which were fully planned out?
There may be some disconnect there where we are seeing different things as the "bad points".
You might be right. I think i may be an exception to the rule too as I'm not one of those hypocrites on instagram and social media all the time so I can disagree with the critics from a point of honesty. Which I believe is pretty rare these days. That said I mustn't blow my own self righteous trumpet too soon lol. I'll have to rewatch the film I think as my health issues have massively damaged my memory and cognitive abilities in a way that had a real impact on my ability to analyse and scrutinise things like I used to. Like I say, you may well be right. For me though, speaking very generally I thought the film was quite tongue in cheek. That's about all I can say without a refresher viewing as in all honesty I can barely remember it now. My memory is really that bad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Istanbulite and LastFlowers
Istanbulite

Istanbulite

Jan 14, 2022
You might be right. I think i may an exeption to the rule too as I'm not one of those hypocrites on instagram and social media all the time so I can disagree with the critics feom a point of honesty. Which I believe is pretty rare these days. That said I mustn't blow my own self righteous teumpet too soon lol. I'll have to rewatch the film I think as my health issues have massively damaged my memory and cognitive abilities in a way that had a real impact on my ability to analyse and scrutinise things like I used to. Like I say, you may well be right. For me though, speaking very generally I thought the film was quite tongue in cheek. That's about all I can say without a refresher viewing as in all honesty I can barely remember it now. My memory is really that bad.
My friend, you are speaking (posting) very well. It just boils down to taste in films really. As the French saying goes Chacun à son goût

Pls don't be too harsh on yourself. It is evident that you are an intellectual person.

• Love
Reactions: Smart No More and LastFlowers
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
You might be right. I think i may an exeption to the rule too as I'm not one of those hypocrites on instagram and social media all the time so I can disagree with the critics feom a point of honesty. Which I believe is pretty rare these days. That said I mustn't blow my own self righteous teumpet too soon lol. I'll have to rewatch the film I think as my health issues have massively damaged my memory and cognitive abilities in a way that had a real impact on my ability to analyse and scrutinise things like I used to. Like I say, you may well be right. For me though, speaking very generally I thought the film was quite tongue in cheek. That's about all I can say without a refresher viewing as in all honesty I can barely remember it now. My memory is really that bad.
Yea it was quite tongue in cheek, just far from award worthy material imo, I would be less surprised about people liking it if they weren't calling it a "masterpiece"..I just about had a conniption fit reading that over and over again. I honestly thought it was an internet joke at first.
..Lol we seem to be opposite sides of the same coin in this audience of DLU.

So sorry to hear about your cognitive abilities being damaged and your memory, that sounds awful!
My short term memory is also taking a severe hit lately and my brain is no longer as agile/quick or astute as it had the potential to be, it seems as though my general situation has deteriorated its integrity significantly, not to the point of delusion or anything, but I definitely am growing a tendency to come across as a scatterbrained dumbass.

However I don't recommend watching the film again..I felt like once was enough to erode my straggling brain cells.
But hey, it's your funeral lol
My friend, you are speaking (posting) very well. It just boils down to taste in films really. As the French saying goes Chacun à son goût

Pls don't be too harsh on yourself. It is evident that you are an intellectual person.
Yea I don't think enjoying a lukewarm crapfest (sorry lol) once in awhile is indicative of losing intellectual stamina.
I'm sure there's films I like that others find to be severely lacking or disgustingly tedious, god awful even.

• Yay!
Reactions: Smart No More and Istanbulite
Istanbulite

Istanbulite

Jan 14, 2022
However I don't recommend watching the film again..I felt like once was enough to erode my straggling brain cells.
Hahahaha

• Yay!
Reactions: LastFlowers
L

Looooser

My 2 cents
Feb 3, 2022
love "the handmaid's tale" so much! definitely gets dark, but indeed an excellent show.
I always thought the same thing but I'll have to give it a shot now.

• Love
Reactions: Smart No More, allesistgut, Foresight and 1 other person
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021

Thanks for that. I'm not as self deprecating as I may come across. Just unusually honest I think. It can come across differently or throw people. I appreciate your kind words either way.

I'm also shameless in my varied tastes. They range the gamut. Definitely some guilty pleasures in the vaults. 😁

I'm trying to think of one for example but nothing suitable has come to mind. It has bought to mind a film called The Sister Brothers which I have enjoyed. Not really a guilty pleasure though. The film Her also comes to mind. I'm not sure why. Maybe because it's open to mixed views. I liked it myself. Not sure why I'm telling you all this though. It's entirely pointless unless you haven't seen those two and fancy giving them a shot.

Yea it was quite tongue in cheek, just far from award worthy material imo, I would be less surprised about people liking it if they weren't calling it a "masterpiece"..I just about had a conniption fit reading that over and over again. I honestly thought it was an internet joke at first.
..Lol we seem to be opposite sides of the same coin in this audience of DLU.

So sorry to hear about your cognitive abilities being damaged and your memory, that sounds awful!
My short term memory is also taking a severe hit lately and my brain is no longer as agile/quick or astute as it had the potential to be, it seems as though my general situation has deteriorated its integrity significantly, not to the point of delusion or anything, but I definitely am growing a tendency to come across as a scatterbrained dumbass.

Yea I don't think enjoying a lukewarm crapfest (sorry lol) once in awhile is indicative of losing intellectual stamina.
I'm sure there's films I like that others find to be severely lacking or disgustingly tedious, god awful even.

I think we probably are both sides of the same coin. Good call. I think we may be near to the same side in some aspect. I didn't consider the film in such high esteem as for it to win a Academy Award nomination and didn't see it going for the that. It was a bit of fun with some social commentary. Maybe in the humor region as Parks & Rec or the likes. I'm not sure. Perhaps nearer a Seth Rogan movie? I'm still not sure. I do feel some didn't get it but maybe it's more that it's been held in the wrong esteem like you indicate in your first paragraph. Maybe that is the deciding factor in the overall disagreements. If they were all starting out on the same page maybe their opinions would be nearer to lining up but chucking it up for the awards is taking it out of its lane. It's not a masterpiece in that respect.

There were some personal parallels for me, surrounding my experiences in the medical system and trying to find correct treatment. That was probably the most endearing thing for me and being such a personal thing it came no where near to granting thw film extra credit for anyone other than myself. Maybe that scewed my view a bit.

I don't mind rewatching it as my memory really is bad enough to make it an almost new experience. With any luck it will be my funeral hahaha.

Nice to be chatting about film without throwing verbal hammers at one another isn't it? Thanks for that 'guys'. I do appreciate people that are able to agree to disagree. It's a pretty rare trait in these circles so when you find it it's almost like finding something special even though it should be a humanwide given. People don't seem to agree lol. Putting it mildly. So thank you for the ammicable conversations. I'll try to let you know how I get on if I survive a second viewing of DLU. :))

Last edited:
  • Hugs
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
I don't mind rewatching it as my memory really is bad enough to make it an almost new experience. With any luck it will be my funeral hahaha.
EA9579DD 0675 4829 9125 A32A3EF2F2C0
Nice to be chatting about film without throwing verbal hammers at one another isn't it? Thanks for that 'guys'. I do appreciate people that are able to agree to disagree. It's a pretty rare trait in these circles so when you find it it's almost like finding something special even though it should be a humanwide given. People don't seem to agree lol. Putting it mildly. So thank you for the ammicable conversations. I'll try to let you know how I get on if I survive a second viewing of DLU. :))
Yes I'm glad when this happens as I usually see film and television threads turn into bizarre personal attacks, especially when the work is polarizing.

Second viewing for real, huh? I guess this is goodbye lol
There were some personal parallels for me, surrounding my experiences in the medical system and trying to find correct treatment. That was probably the most endearing thing for me and being such a personal thing it came no where near to granting thw film extra credit for anyone other than myself. Maybe that scewed my view a bit.
I'm curious again now, this made me wonder if we watched the same film lol, which parts had the personal parallels to the medical system and finding the correct treatment?
Was it obvious or more abstract?
Now I wonder if I missed a scene, or maybe I am just a moron.
I have only one vague idea as to what you might be referring to but I'm not sure..

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: Smart No More
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Once again I've seen absolutely none of the Best Picture noninees.

Spider-Man No Way Home was robbed. The visual effects nomination wasn't even warranted because while I liked the movie, the effects weren't THAT good or anything.

• Hugs
davidgeorge

davidgeorge

Experienced
Dec 21, 2021
I voted for Belfast as it's the only film I've seen :)