• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

B

biasedregret

Feb 23, 2024
Hi folks, I'm working late and bored so I scraped a little less than 100 rows from the Drugs.com antidepressant table containing user reviews. Here's what I found:
  • The best antidepressants as ranked by actual people (not by corrupt meta analyses performed by perversely-incentivized "researchers") appear to be things like opioids (Tramadol), tricyclic antidepressants, MAOIs, wakefulness-promoting agents & stimulants, and ketamine.
  • Overall, SSRIs and SNRIs get low marks.
  • This is in line with research done by psychopharmacologists like Dr. Ken Gillman who postulates that psychiatrists under utilize old school drugs like MAOIs and TCAs. Additionally, this data points to the use of stimulants as augmentation agents for severe depression.
If you're currently on the SSRI pinwheel and want off, maybe some of these medications are worth bringing up with your doctor. If there's any interest in more data like this, I'd be happy to keep doing more research!

Drug Name
Sum of Review Count
Sum of Weighted Average
Amitriptyline / Chlordiazepoxide
5​
9.60​
Amoxapine
6​
9.60​
Protriptyline
3​
9.50​
Nefazodone
77​
9.40​
Tramadol
226​
9.30​
Desipramine
22​
9.26​
Isocarboxazid
14​
9.10​
Folate
3​
9.00​
Trimipramine
2​
9.00​
Amitriptyline / Perphenazine
1​
9.00​
Methylphenidate
70​
8.82​
Modafinil
74​
8.80​
Niacin
57​
8.70​
Alprazolam
104​
8.70​
Tranylcypromine
217​
8.45​
Phenelzine
246​
8.41​
Olanzapine / Fluoxetine
45​
8.41​
Lisdexamfetamine
27​
8.40​
Armodafinil
44​
8.40​
Amitriptyline
137​
8.10​
Selegiline
76​
8.01​
Ketamine
29​
7.60​
Levomefolic Acid
232​
7.52​
Lamotrigine
180​
7.20​
Citalopram
1093​
7.20​
Escitalopram
1546​
7.20​
Atomoxetine
8​
7.10​
Bupropion
1816​
7.06​
Fluoxetine
1160​
7.00​
Brexpiprazole
309​
6.90​
Doxepin
29​
6.90​
Sertraline
1885​
6.87​
Desvenlafaxine
1660​
6.85​
Clomipramine
42​
6.80​
Fluvoxamine
36​
6.70​
Mirtazapine
827​
6.69​
Trazodone
140​
6.61​
Quetiapine
244​
6.55​
Paroxetine
503​
6.55​
Aripiprazole
715​
6.40​
Imipramine
38​
6.39​
Duloxetine
1364​
6.30​
Lithium
63​
6.10​
Nortriptyline
76​
6.08​
Venlafaxine
1720​
6.00​
Vilazodone
1220​
5.95​
Esketamine
135​
5.55​
Risperidone
56​
5.00​
Olanzapine
267​
4.96​
Levomilnacipran
195​
4.85​
Paliperidone
12​
3.90​

Last edited:
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️
Jul 1, 2020
im not sure id trust drugs.com. i cant remember for sure if it was that site or another one (pretty sure that one) but i was looking for drug interactions, it told me i was fine while another site was saying absolutely not.
plus drugs do different things for different people, that might be the top rated drug, it might still completely destroy someones life because that drug just isnt for them.

Ash

Ash

Warlock
Oct 4, 2021
But different meds work for different people so isn't this just subjective? For example, I can't take amitriptyline as it makes me hallucinate, codeine makes me nauseous and constipated, but I don't get any side effects from morphine.

F

Forveleth

I knew I forgot to do something when I was 15...
Mar 26, 2024
Not really a good way to judge these. Antidepressants affect everyone differently. Also, who where the people surveyed for this? What was the control group? What are these ratings specifically based on?

It's interesting to see but if it were up to me, bupropion would be at an 8, escitalopram would get a -5, and venlafaxine would be on fire in a dumpster. 😆 So maybe take this with a hefty serving of salt.

• Yay!
Reactions: pilotviolin and Ash
Yarani

Yarani

the only constant is change.
Mar 29, 2024
The first thing that strikes me is the "sum of review count".
I don't know what I'm misinterpreting or missing here, but why would you trust like 5 random people on the internet judging a medication? Please educate me here. I don't mean that sarcastically, I want to know what I'm not understanding. Did I read this wrong?

Apart from that, what were the rating criteria, and does it make sense to express the rating of those criteria in a single number?

Researchers aren't necessarily perversely-incentivized, and random people on the internet rating medication could also be and I find that much less transparent than a scientific study

Why do you say that SSRIs get low marks? For ex., how is 7 or 7.2 low? What is "low"

Table also contains meds that aren't antidepressants per se but could be classified as augmentation therapy, then the question would be what are they being combined with

Co-morbidities aren't being controlled for and neither are dozens of other things

Also, ketamine rated 7.6 by 29 people vs esketamine rated 5.55 by 135 people. Did those people really know what they were clicking because the two are not exactly the same

Personal opinion at this point: No. Just no.

Reactions: Leech
Leech

Leech

ɴᴏᴡ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴʟy ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ʀᴇᴀʟ
Aug 8, 2020
Very very interesting and a considerable result. Definitely not a big enough response pool even with weighted averages. I'd be curious how it changes with more answers.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️
Jul 1, 2020
The first thing that strikes me is the "sum of review count".
I don't know what I'm misinterpreting or missing here, but why would you trust like 5 random people on the internet judging a medication? Please educate me here. I don't mean that sarcastically, I want to know what I'm not understanding. Did I read this wrong?
because they more than likey took the medication, its not a 'medical study' so much as its a personal opinion "this is how i felt on this medication". its like saying why shouldnt i trust people that want to destroy medication or people that "push it" (i mean in a 'good' way. not docs), theyre both right, and theyre both wrong. yes the medication hurt you or helped you, but thats you.

Reactions: Ash
Yarani

Yarani

the only constant is change.
Mar 29, 2024
because they more than likey took the medication, its not a 'medical study' so much as its a personal opinion "this is how i felt on this medication". its like saying why shouldnt i trust people that want to destroy medication or people that "push it" (i mean in a 'good' way. not docs), theyre both right, and theyre both wrong. yes the medication hurt you or helped you, but thats you.
I'm very aware that it's personal opinions and not a scientific study. That was not what my confusion was about.

DyingToDie123

DyingToDie123

she/her
Oct 25, 2023
This is interesting though I agree I think it should be taken with the biggest grain of salt that exists lol.

For people trying to sort out which anti-depressants to try I strongly recommend trying something like Genesight or Genomind (genetic testing to see what's likely to be more effective/tolerated for you.)