S

spanishguy22

Enlightened
Apr 9, 2019
There are roughly 10 suicides for every 100.000 lives. When I saw this statistic, I felt so awful. It's so incredibly sickening that I'm so close to be part of something so improbable for a human being. I thought I was so lucky as a small kid, having been born in a first world country to decent parents. But then everything went to shit. Oh well. Not so lucky indeed.

Reactions: LonelyHopelessDude, Ruffian, dEATHiSmYgOD and 7 others
Omega7

Omega7

Alien
Apr 10, 2019
Not so lucky indeed

Reactions: Ruffian and llen
Jessica-

Jessica-

Experienced
Mar 26, 2019
if possible, I hope I can be one of the ten asap.

• Yay!
Reactions: Ruffian, TheREALDisgustingMe, Strumgewehr and 3 others
TheFinalCountdown

TheFinalCountdown

Student
Mar 25, 2019
I think it's crazy how low the suicide rate is globally considering how bad life can be in most places. Even if you are relatively well off it's still possible to be miserable.

I guess most people must have some sort of coping mechanism that we lack

Reactions: Ruffian, 21Neberg, NoDream and 2 others
Omega7

Omega7

Alien
Apr 10, 2019
Most people are just simply happy I believe

Reactions: Strumgewehr and Didymus
Davy

Davy

Have a great day!
Mar 24, 2019
Isn't the number of supposedly depressed people super high, around 20% or something? You would think there would be more suicides.

D

DeepSleep

Student
Aug 8, 2018
It's a good question, why is it so low?

I would say 20 to 30% of any population is very unhappy and will remain so.
But they got used to it. Sum up all alcoholics, junkies, depressed people, painkiller addicts.
Even if they go to work, to their shitty paycheck-to-paycheck low wage jobs, they would happily
run away from it if they could... But they will keep going in autopilot.

Show them their future (+20 years) through the crystal ball - they will recoil in horror. But day to day - "Nah, it's all good"...

Those 1 of 10k are the ones who had actually looked through this magic crystal......

Reactions: Roadkill, dreznik87, anelakapu and 4 others
JustOverIt

JustOverIt

Experienced
Nov 8, 2018
There are roughly 10 suicides for every 100.000 lives. When I saw this statistic, I felt so awful. It's so incredibly sickening that I'm so close to be part of something so improbable for a human being. I thought I was so lucky as a small kid, having been born in a first world country to decent parents. But then everything went to shit. Oh well. Not so lucky indeed.

I would argue that the statistic is much higher in reality. The authorities and the media love controlling what we want to know.

We live in a society that is incredibly anti-suicide because we are incredibly anti-intelligent.

Reactions: Jolene40, NoDream, Deadgirl and 7 others
CptBBQ

CptBBQ

I love you!
Mar 13, 2019
Sometimes that very statistic scares me. 1 in 10000 is what I remember, so basically the same as what you said but divided by 10 on each side. The amount of suicidal people is pretty large, I knew many people who are suicidal, but not one actually died. What can be concluded from that is that suicide is hard. I have a pretty large fear of failing my attempt so that's that. The thing that relieves me a little bit is there was some graph like that, that showed people who failed suicide who were told to say how much they actually wanted to die. 1 being kind of just like an "Oh it was just an impulse thing" and 5 being "Every waking moment I think of nothing but CTB" and a large majority were 1 or 2.
I think personally I will succeed, maybe not on the first attempt, but I will try my best to not allow myself to live for 2020.
It's also quite sad to think that because this 1 in 10000 statistic is so low, you can think of other probably higher statistics, what's the amount of people who's life is a strong net negative? What's the amount of people who's life's are in ruin and are just going to rot in depression until they die of natural causes?

Reactions: anelakapu, NoDream and spanishguy22
JustOverIt

JustOverIt

Experienced
Nov 8, 2018
Sometimes that very statistic scares me. 1 in 10000 is what I remember, so basically the same as what you said but divided by 10 on each side. The amount of suicidal people is pretty large, I knew many people who are suicidal, but not one actually died. What can be concluded from that is that suicide is hard. I have a pretty large fear of failing my attempt so that's that. The thing that relieves me a little bit is there was some graph like that, that showed people who failed suicide who were told to say how much they actually wanted to die. 1 being kind of just like an "Oh it was just an impulse thing" and 5 being "Every waking moment I think of nothing but CTB" and a large majority were 1 or 2.
I think personally I will succeed, maybe not on the first attempt, but I will try my best to not allow myself to live for 2020.
It's also quite sad to think that because this 1 in 10000 statistic is so low, you can think of other probably higher statistics, what's the amount of people who's life is a strong net negative? What's the amount of people who's life's are in ruin and are just going to rot in depression until they die of natural causes?

Suicide is not as hard as we are led to believe. Scare mongering is a major deterrent for attempts, misinformation and lies are another.

C

couragetodie

Student
Jan 2, 2019
the number goes up a lot when you include accidental overdoses (that aren't accidental), plus drunk driving, and other things like smoking/eating unhealthy foods and a bunch of actions that humans do that lead to faster dying. In many cases done intentionally — like Mac Miller, Layne Staley, Elvis Presley, etc. Not all suicides are obvious.

Reactions: NoDream, EddieAllenPoe and JustOverIt
M

Mogley26

Student
Apr 10, 2019
Suicide is easy but for most of us overcoming so is impossible unless drinking something like n. I tried hanging. I have a strong setup but my body doesn't let me do it. I got my knowledge for my setup from a guy that hung himself dead in 2001. Some people can just do it. I wonder what makes them different.
Overcoming SI not so..
What is your chosen method?

Last edited:
Reactions: JustOverIt
JustOverIt

JustOverIt

Experienced
Nov 8, 2018
Suicide is easy but for most of us overcoming so is impossible unless drinking something like n. I tried hanging. I have a strong setup but my body doesn't let me do it. I got my knowledge for my setup from a guy that hung himself dead in 2001. Some people can just do it. I wonder what makes them different.
Overcoming SI not so..

What is your chosen method?

Yes I agree hanging is very difficult and would require a severe amount of impairment from an aid like alcohol to even be remotely doable. Some people are just courageous enough to take that step.

Reactions: Mogley26
O

Olach

Student
Feb 4, 2019
Maybe you are talking about medium percentage in the world. In my country the statistics going like 27 to 100k
I mean in post Soviet countries

JustOverIt

JustOverIt

Experienced
Nov 8, 2018
Maybe you are talking about medium percentage in the world. In my country the statistics going like 27 to 100k
I mean in post Soviet countries

Definitely would have to be higher in those post Soviet countries in my opinion

Redrock

Redrock

Student
Mar 5, 2019
In religious countries it is low because it is forbidden by the Church

Reactions: OnlyMercy and Honigwaffel
O

Olach

Student
Feb 4, 2019
Cause we see no perspective in our lives. The corruption is high, quality of life is low, no possibility for carrier growth. This is intensified in little cities.
Here are the statistics

Last edited:
Taylor

Taylor

Thankful
Dec 23, 2018
I would argue that the statistic is much higher in reality. The authorities and the media love controlling what we want to know.

We live in a society that is incredibly anti-suicide because we are incredibly anti-intelligent.
This. If you do further research, the suicide rate is actually rising at an alarmly sharp rate as well, as opposed to just 6 years ago I believe.
In religious countries it is low because it is forbidden by the Church
It's not forbidden, I'm a Christian suicider lol. It's just obviously looked down upon, but Jesus died for this exact reason, so we can be forgiven of our sins, and one day live again on the new earth, as perfect, sinless immortal beings, the way we were originally intended to.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: About_to_Go, ForestLove, Deadgirl and 3 others
JustOverIt

JustOverIt

Experienced
Nov 8, 2018
This. If you do further research, the suicide rate is actually rising at an alarmly sharp rate as well, as opposed to just 6 years ago I believe.

It's not forbidden, I'm a Christian suicider lol. It's just obviously looked down upon, but Jesus died for this exact reason, so we can be forgiven of our sins, and one day live again on the new earth, as perfect, sinless immortal beings, the way we were originally intended to.

Holy crap, I have never thought of this. I'd argue that, that answer is an even more rational interpretation of Jesus dying on the cross.

Reactions: Taylor and Olach
Kikoo Loool

Kikoo Loool

Enlightened
Feb 25, 2019
I think it's crazy how low the suicide rate is globally considering how bad life can be in most places. Even if you are relatively well off it's still possible to be miserable.

I guess most people must have some sort of coping mechanism that we lack
That's why religion where created for.

Reactions: TheFinalCountdown, Redrock and Olach
Please_stop

Please_stop

Apr 8, 2019
Yes I agree hanging is very difficult and would require a severe amount of impairment from an aid like alcohol to even be remotely doable. Some people are just courageous enough to take that step.
Why do you think hanging is very difficult? I'm fairly new to this, so mine is a genuine question.
Either way, I guess most people have enough hope to get them through difficult times. Add to that a strong and innate SI, the guilt caused by the thought of hurting your loved ones and, for some, a frame of thinking that sees suicide as weak and selfish, because it's the easy way ouy, and I think that's why not so many people cbt

Reactions: CrappyMJ
JustOverIt

JustOverIt

Experienced
Nov 8, 2018
Why do you think hanging is very difficult? I'm fairly new to this, so mine is a genuine question.
Either way, I guess most people have enough hope to get them through difficult times. Add to that a strong and innate SI, the guilt caused by the thought of hurting your loved ones and, for some, a frame of thinking that sees suicide as weak and selfish, because it's the easy way ouy, and I think that's why not so many people cbt

I have tried hanging handful of times and it is unpredictable and very confronting. Most of the difficulty in my opinion, comes from the will to see it through; e.g. your vision fading, ears ringing, everything becoming distant, you becoming confused and disoriented. Not so much the technical aspect of it, it is historically a very effective way to ctb if it is well controlled.

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
I don't think it can be measured accurately to be honest. Some countries don't measure it at all. Others will downplay the figure or redefine what constitutes suicide so it does not reflect badly on the country. There is also no way to know if that seemingly accidental heroin overdose is that or a suicide attempt. There are plenty of methods that create a similar ambivalence as to what may have occurred especially with ocean-related deaths. There is also sometimes external pressure to not have the cause of death as suicide listed in the first place. When there is uncertainty about it, they err on the side of caution and will simply note that uncertainty. So many suicides are likely misclassified in the first place. I don't honestly think we can know what the scale of it truly is. It though is likely significantly under-reported.

Society as a whole does not seem to want to look at itself or have to change anything. Damaging environments and enshrined systems that cause harm also downplayed and mental illness or weak character becomes an easy scapegoat. Complainers should move to North Korea if they don't like it...

I also find it bizarre that many pharmaceuticals wind up tested on mice. But to simulate depression they essentially torment the mice. That to me speaks of a water is wet level of science here. That if you torment people they come out damaged and exhibit disordered behaviour. On some level, I think modern society is honestly damaging. The equivalent of being punched in the face repeatedly and told to like it or you are abnormal. Or force yourself to mentally redefine fists, maybe call it something else soft and fuzzy and make yourself believe that is true and fist are actually made of sponge. Then an insistence you take a brain altering chemical that makes being punched in the face more bearable. None of that though addresses what specifically is punching you in the face...

Reactions: lululoo, Skathon, About_to_Go and 10 others
JustOverIt

JustOverIt

Experienced
Nov 8, 2018
I don't think it can be measured accurately to be honest. Some countries don't measure it at all. Others will downplay the figure or redefine what constitutes suicide so it does not reflect badly on the country. There is also no way to know if that seemingly accidental heroin overdose is that or a suicide attempt. There are plenty of methods that create a similar ambivalence as to what may have occurred especially with ocean-related deaths. There is also sometimes external pressure to not have the cause of death as suicide listed in the first place. When there is uncertainty about it, they err on the side of caution and will simply note that uncertainty. So many suicides are likely misclassified in the first place. I don't honestly think we can know what the scale of it truly is. It though is likely significantly under-reported.

Society as a whole does not seem to want to look at itself or have to change anything. Damaging environments and enshrined systems that cause harm also downplayed and mental illness or weak character becomes an easy scapegoat. Complainers should move to North Korea if they don't like it...

I also find it bizarre that many pharmaceuticals wind up tested on mice. But to simulate depression they essentially torment the mice. That to me speaks of a water is wet level of science here. That if you torment people they come out damaged and exhibit disordered behaviour. On some level, I think modern society is honestly damaging. The equivalent of being punched in the face repeatedly and told to like it or you are abnormal. Or force yourself to mentally redefine fists, maybe call it something else soft and fuzzy and make yourself believe that is true and fist are actually made of sponge. Then an insistence you take a brain altering chemical that makes being punched in the face more bearable. None of that though addresses what specifically is punching you in the face...

Bookmarked your response cuz its soo damn good. Modern society likened to being punched in the face repeatedly is 100% my new favourite quote.

Last edited:
Divine Trinity

Divine Trinity

Pugna Vigil
Mar 20, 2019
Like I tell everyone else, your life wasn't great as a kid, it sucked but you didn't notice it yet. I'm sure nobody with a truly silver spoon since birth would be here.

And that doesn't necessarily mean filthy rich.

Please_stop

Please_stop

Apr 8, 2019
I have tried hanging handful of times and it is unpredictable and very confronting. Most of the difficulty in my opinion, comes from the will to see it through; e.g. your vision fading, ears ringing, everything becoming distant, you becoming confused and disoriented. Not so much the technical aspect of it, it is historically a very effective way to ctb if it is well controlled.
Of course, you are absolutely right! What I meant was, once you put on a rope short enough for partial suspension and let your body slide forward, I was hoping that pulling yourself back up to safety would be very difficult, especially if you handcuffed yourself. But yes, ears ringing and all that is a pain

Dubs

Dubs

I exist without my consent.
Aug 16, 2018
Jesus you guys are all wrong. The number you are referring to is suicides per person PER YEAR. You have to multiply that by life expectancy to get the actual number which comes out to about 1% of people die by suicide. The number is actually higher than this as it does not account for suspicious deaths, intentional car crashes, drowning, street drug overdoses, or deaths of despair like addiction. In most countries the suicide/despair death is about 2-5% depending on what exactly you count.

Reactions: NoDream, Divine Trinity, Deadgirl and 1 other person