http-410

http-410

nowhere
Sep 12, 2020
What tech projects are you working currently on or have you done so far? What interesting DIY projects can you recommend?

It doesn't matter if it's hardware or software-related.

I'm currently fiddling around with Docker, trying my hand at designing a web shop, which I would like to connect with a forum (based on MyBB) at the end. In the past I have assembled a DIY air quality monitor, and my daily driver is a Pi-hole which I highly recommend if you want to keep a little bit of privacy and security. It turns a Raspberry Pi (also available as Docker container) into a DNS server, and lets ads, trackers, but also phishing sites (if you have activated the respective filter lists) disappear into a sinkhole. However, it is not an ad blocker, but the difference with(out) Pi-hole is noticeable imho.

Other interesting things to self host would be RSS readers or your own cloud, such as Nextcloud.

With micro controllers or single board computers, there are countless ways to put something interesting together. If I can motivate myself to do so, I would assemble a DIY Geiger counter. Overall, I find the biometric sensors interesting. For example, it's possible, to determine the alcohol in your breath or body temperature with DIY devices, it is even possible to assemble a polygraph ("lie detector" (which concept as such I consider bullshit)).

There are a lot of interesting things that I unfortunately can't motivate myself to do anymore, but I'm still interested in what projects you're working on right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, stilldreaming, WrongPlaceWrongTime and 1 other person
logan

logan

Warlock
May 20, 2021
We have very similar interests and I used to implement many such projects. You can do a lot with the Pi.
With the associated camera and a suitably trained AI, you can do interesting things ;-)

But at the moment I unfortunately can't mentally tackle such or other projects much at all.

Reactions: http-410
S

stilldreaming

Student
Aug 30, 2021
oh I have a minor tech project I need to learn/do.........would be great to find motivation for it sigh :(

I try to tell myself, just 5 min a day is enough. Or I make a very very very simple step-by-tiny-step to do list for what I need to do to continue it. (I love to-do lists) I'm so worn out after work though. Of course the unhappiness makes it all that much worse.

Good luck with your projects, they sound great x

• Hugs
Reactions: http-410 and Flippy
Flippy

Flippy

Felis Sapien
Jan 5, 2020
oh I have a minor tech project I need to learn/do.........would be great to find motivation for it sigh :(

I try to tell myself, just 5 min a day is enough. Or I make a very very very simple step-by-tiny-step to do list for what I need to do to continue it. (I love to-do lists) I'm so worn out after work though. Of course the unhappiness makes it all that much worse.

Good luck with your projects, they sound great x
I hate that feeling of being too worn out to do things that you really would like to do but life is in the way or you just can't get into a state of mind that allows you to enjoy them.

I've recently been trying to resurrect a pretty old (but potentially still good) iMac that I bought for cheap as faulty. I've managed to do it before, but this has been a little more challenge than I have the energy for.

The balance has to be just right for me at the moment, so that the benefits of investing time in it will lead to something I can enjoy. If the project wears me out physically or mentally then it's probably not worth the effort.

If this was maybe 3 years ago, then I would have been able to invest the time and energy, in fact wild horses couldn't have dragged me away from my projects no matter how potentially futile they may have been.

I have stacks of Raspberry Pis doing nothing when they were bought with the intention of making them do all sorts of amazing things.

Everything in my life seems to be gradually gathering dust and turning to rust. The impetus is kinda still there but the follow through, not so much.

Sorry if I cast a dark cloud over the thread :-/

• Hugs
Reactions: http-410 and stilldreaming
S

stilldreaming

Student
Aug 30, 2021
I hate that feeling of being too worn out to do things that you really would like to do but life is in the way or you just can't get into a state of mind that allows you to enjoy them.

I've recently been trying to resurrect a pretty old (but potentially still good) iMac that I bought for cheap as faulty. I've managed to do it before, but this has been a little more challenge than I have the energy for.

The balance has to be just right for me at the moment, so that the benefits of investing time in it will lead to something I can enjoy. If the project wears me out physically or mentally then it's probably not worth the effort.

If this was maybe 3 years ago, then I would have been able to invest the time and energy, in fact wild horses couldn't have dragged me away from my projects no matter how potentially futile they may have been.

I have stacks of Raspberry Pis doing nothing when they were bought with the intention of making them do all sorts of amazing things.

Everything in my life seems to be gradually gathering dust and turning to rust. The impetus is kinda still there but the follow through, not so much.

Sorry if I cast a dark cloud over the thread :-/
yup it's great being be a depressive, no? not enjoying things we ought to, or having the focus to do so. Wish other people could understand. How exhausting tiny things can be. Makes me feel super lazy sometimes. I can only manage my self-care if I really limit my work. But we need the muniez sigh :(

No clouds cast here, friend! Hope you can do something kind for yourself x

• Hugs
Reactions: Flippy
Flippy

Flippy

Felis Sapien
Jan 5, 2020
yup it's great being be a depressive, no? not enjoying things we ought to, or having the focus to do so. Wish other people could understand. How exhausting tiny things can be. Makes me feel super lazy sometimes. I can only manage my self-care if I really limit my work. But we need the muniez sigh :(

No clouds cast here, friend! Hope you can do something kind for yourself x
You've hit the nail on the head for sure! If only it were possible to just "cast off" depression the way a lot of people think you can. If we could we would probably have put human beings on Mars by now.

I'm glad that, I didn't cast a cloud :-) I hope you can do something kind for yourself too! :-)

• Hugs
Reactions: stilldreaming
S

stilldreaming

Student
Aug 30, 2021
You've hit the nail on the head for sure! If only it were possible to just "cast off" depression the way a lot of people think you can. If we could we would probably have put human beings on Mars by now.

I'm glad that, I didn't cast a cloud :-) I hope you can do something kind for yourself too! :-)
Thanks, I'm about to do something nice for myself...gonna walk on the elliptical while watching comfort stuff. (need a pick me up after watching some youtube vids about how terrible humanity can be in regard to animals and the environment.......even the video about the rescue goose and the dog who are best friends, I still find a way to get glum sigh)

o well, off to walk now, please take care! x

Reactions: Flippy
Flippy

Flippy

Felis Sapien
Jan 5, 2020
Thanks, I'm about to do something nice for myself...gonna walk on the elliptical while watching comfort stuff. (need a pick me up after watching some youtube vids about how terrible humanity can be in regard to animals and the environment.......even the video about the rescue goose and the dog who are best friends, I still find a way to get glum sigh)

o well, off to walk now, please take care! x
I hope you enjoy it! Actually oddly enough I just watched a comical video along similar lines but totally not related too! Maybe you might get a laugh from it while you have a bit of a walk :-) here it is...

It's worth sticking with as I guess it encapsulates two things you've mentioned in the thread I suppose; technology and the need to be better to the planet and animals etc. Honestly it will make sense when you've viewed it I think :-) Take care! :-)

• Love
Reactions: stilldreaming