N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
This is not a statement of mine. As many of you know I love David Foster Wallace and his work. Today I have listened to some summaries and interpretations of his opus magnum "Infinite Jest". The guy who analyzed it seemed to be quite savvy. He said the core message of the book was the statement of the title.

As far as I know there is a debate whether DFW really believed in this or whether his work just claimed it. I read about some of his personal life and he did not seem to be that virtuous. Though I should not judge too harsh. Seemingly he treated women often not in a good way.

Moreover he committed suicide. I think he was kind of ambivalent on this message. I can fully understand that. It is pretty hard to live a life like that. Especially if you live in a mental hell like DFW. I was kind of inspired from this idea.
I also try to abide some ethical or metaphysical concepts which should give me strength. And it kind of does. I have the feeling DFW and me were in similar positions in life. Being a fully broken person, pretty early in life and trying to make the best of it despite the circumstances.

He really fought for his life. And I admire that. I am not sure how hopeless he perceived his situation. At least for myself I can say that I am very often desperate and I have the feeling of deep hopelessness.

I think DFW was kind of a conservative. He saw a meaning in higher values in life. He was a critic of this postmodern idea of individual self-gratification by any means. That the only thing we should worship is satisfying our own selfish interests.

The reason why I relate to DFW so much has different reasons. One instance is that he tried so much to avoid his suicide but in the end he could not escape it. I think this is probably similar in my case: Though I try to avoid a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I am an atheist. Maybe a little bit agnostic. DFW even visited a church. But I don't know whether he was a believer. His work is kind of ambivalent on that. I think he wanted to believe in some sense in a higher being. I could imagine that. For many people faith can give strength. For me it was the opposite. I had horrible nightmares about hell before I have become an atheist. I made a short research for a short period he was catholic. He remained interested in religion afterall. But seemingly he only was for a short time catholic.

This post is absolutely no appeal to become religious. Though I have to say it is rather a statement against nihilism. I also listened a lot to Jordan Peterson about nihilism and existentialism. For me I can personally say being too much into both has decreased my life quality. However it is difficult to say that. At rock bottom both also comforted me. But it is not a longterm solution. At least not for me.

In order to fight my demons the attempt to believe in higher values is kind of advantageous. Though I can't really believe in an almighty God. There is just so much extreme suffering in this world.

The title of this post is kind of provocative. I think there is a grain of truth in the statement. But it depends from person to person. And always has to be evaluated by analyzing the circumstances and personal beliefs.

I think barely anyone will agree with this statement. Lol. Yeah but nihilism is for me not really a valuable option. It increased my suffering.

Last edited: