You are broken, damaged and unhinged.
And so are the comets and shooting stars, darling.❤

• Love
Reactions: Woodnote, Sensei, Oyoy and 1 other person
Timetodie90

Timetodie90

Spiritual but suicidal.
Mar 8, 2020
"The thought of suicide is a great consolation: by means of it one gets through many a dark night."

Friedrich Nietzsche

• Love
Reactions: Green Destiny, Woodnote, disconnection and 8 others
kyle

kyle

Sleeping away all my problems
May 3, 2020
"Die with memories, not dreams."

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Woodnote, Oyoy, KiraLittleOwl and 1 other person
M

Matthias_k

Apr 18, 2020
"Words, words, words."

Reactions: Woodnote, a_strange_day and kyle
Yomyom

Yomyom

Darker dearie, much darker
Feb 5, 2020
"You can't control your thoughts you can't control your feelings, because there is no controller, you are your thoughts and your feeling"

Alan Watts

• Love
Reactions: Woodnote, Oyoy, Lost in a Dream and 1 other person
Nuggest

Nuggest

Jan 3, 2020
"What keeps all living things busy and in motion is the striving to exist. But when existence is secured, they do not know what to do: that is why the second thing that sets them in motion is a striving to get rid of the burden of existence, not to feel it any longer, 'to kill time', i.e. to escape boredom."

• Love
Reactions: Zer0, Woodnote, Oyoy and 4 others
M

MissStarr

Dogs and angels are not very far apart
Apr 25, 2020
"Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I'm not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you've felt that way."
-Charles Bukowski

Reactions: Woodnote, Sensei and a.n.kirillov
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
"What keeps all living things busy and in motion is the striving to exist. But when existence is secured, they do not know what to do: that is why the second thing that sets them in motion is a striving to get rid of the burden of existence, not to feel it any longer, 'to kill time', i.e. to escape boredom."
I approve of this message

Right now, the one in my signature:

Reactions: Lost in a Dream
Deathcabforugly

Deathcabforugly

Apr 25, 2020
This is gonna sound really dumb especially compared to quotes by great thinkers.......I would say I like the idea of "shit happens." It teaches me to be tolerant of circumstances and it helps teach me acceptance.

• Love
Reactions: Woodnote, Sensei, terry_a_davis and 4 others
GoBack

GoBack

Paragon
Apr 25, 2020
The last quite I lived by was" Better the devil you know"

If I had to get in trouble which I did by nature, better with people I knew, whatever they were like

Reactions: Woodnote and a_strange_day
Oh_dear_how_Gastly

Oh_dear_how_Gastly

*clutches pearls*
Apr 30, 2020
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

-J. Krishnamurti

Reactions: Manaaja, keara, Woodnote and 6 others
deadpixels

deadpixels

Student
May 2, 2020
My favorite one is from the Brazilian ex president Dilma Rousseff:

Não acho que quem ganhar ou quem perder, nem quem ganhar nem perder, vai ganhar ou perder. Vai todo mundo perder.

She was famous for saying nonsensical and gibberish phrases, people often mocked her for that but I think this one has an inner wisdom, I will try to translate it for you while keeping the original incoherence.

I don't think that whoever wins or whoever loses, neither who wins nor loses, will win or lose. Everybody is going to lose.

At this point, any Brazilian reading this must be loling at me but that's ok.

I think that deep down this phrase carries a great wisdom, because if you think about it, no matter if you win or lose in any life event, or if you don't win or lose at all, at the very end, we all are gonna lose, everything is unnecessary.

It has become my motto since then :)

• Love
Reactions: Woodnote, Soul and The Dark Chaos
V

Vizzini

May 4, 2020
"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?" - Terry Pratchett, in Going Postal. I just like it. I say a few names sometimes.

Reactions: Woodnote
kinzokukae

kinzokukae

get me out of here
Apr 30, 2020
'every man dies but not every man lives' (:

B5E00135 1818 4BBE B922 88393C3C3C47

Reactions: Manaaja, Woodnote and terry_a_davis
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

-J. Krishnamurti
Classic. I'd like to know who said this first, because I've seen writers stealing it left and right.

Edit:
Here's Huxley struggling to articulate it:
"The real victims of mental illness are to be found among those who appear to be most normal. "Many of them are normal because they are so well adjusted to our mode of existence, because their human voice has been silenced so early in their lives, that they do not even struggle or suffer or develop symptoms as the neurotic does." They are normal not in what may be called the absolute sense of the word; they are normal only in relation to a profoundly abnormal society. Their perfect adjustment to that abnormal society is a measure of their mental sickness. These millions of abnormally normal people, living without fuss in a society to which, if they were fully human beings, they ought not to be adjusted."

And Thomas Szasz:

»Insanity is the only sane reaction to an insane society.«

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Abgrundanziehung, Woodnote, The Dark Chaos and 2 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
No man is free who has to work for a living. But for a price...I am available. :blarg:

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: Woodnote, Sensei, mediocre and 1 other person
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
No man is free who has to work for a living. But for a price...I am available. :blarg:
»In respect to seeking work for the sake of the pay, almost all men are alike at present in civilised countries; to all of them work is a means, and not itself the end; on which account they are not very select in the choice of the work, provided it yields an abundant profit. But still there are rarer men who would rather perish than work without delight in their labour: the fastidious people, difficult to satisfy, whose object is not served by an abundant profit, unless the work itself be the reward of all rewards.«
»"Today as always, men fall into two groups: slaves and free men. Whoever does not have two-thirds of his day for himself, is a slave, whatever he may be: a statesman, a businessman, an official, or a scholar."«

Last edited:
Reactions: Lethe and Oh_dear_how_Gastly
SpareWheel

SpareWheel

I go on holidays by mistake
May 4, 2020
In response to a generic, 'it'll get better, it'll happen etc'

"will it? That's what they all say, the only programme I'm likely to get on is the fucking news"

From Withnail and I. It always tickled me because Withnail reminds me very much of me in my younger days. Where he'd lament not getting acting jobs despite being talented, good looking etc - I'd lament being giving such a shitty life despite going out my way to be a 'nice' person, abiding by the rules etc.

There's a lot of quotes in that film I relate to, as well as being an absolute corker of a film it's very profound in places.

Reactions: Soul
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
'What is a human but a ghost in drag'.

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: Manaaja and mediocre
xalltoowell

xalltoowell

Loner, loser and complicated wreck
Nov 3, 2019
"Les temps sont durs pour les rêveurs"

Meaning "times are hard for dreamers" from the movie Amélie.

Reactions: Arvinneedstodie, Sensei, mediocre and 1 other person
KleinerWolf

KleinerWolf

Account Wipe.
Apr 30, 2020
Quote originated from Bible even though I'm atheist:

"Ask and you will receive; Seek and you shall find;
Knock, and the door will be opened to you."

M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
Beauty fades, dumb lasts forever!

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
"What I look forward to is continued immaturity followed by death." I've always thought that it's a funny quote, but recently I've realised that it's a summary of my life. This makes me chuckle and whimper at the same time.

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Soul, Oh_dear_how_Gastly and KleinerWolf
Oh_dear_how_Gastly

Oh_dear_how_Gastly

*clutches pearls*
Apr 30, 2020
"I desire nothing, seek nothing but peace, the slumber of the soul. I have tasted all the hollowness and wretchedness of life and I despise it heartily."

-Ivan Goncharov

• Love
Reactions: apathetic. and Lethe
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
"The British have a saying: 'Fuck you all!'"

(from a French film I'd love to track down. But I missed the start and wasn't really paying attention until this gem was uttered. It suits every occasion.)

A

ArtsyDrawer

Enlightened
Nov 8, 2018
Kinda narcissistic, I suppose, but it's something I said in the end of 2019 - "the one true solution to all the world's problems is to wage war".
During a debate with a happy go lucky friend of mine on discord we argued whether or not surgery would be the best thing to deal with it.
We started arguing about Yemen for some reason and I said this to poke at how SA keeps Yemen fucked up and doesn't let it grow in fear of it becoming a better place than SA.

SpareWheel

SpareWheel

I go on holidays by mistake
May 4, 2020
"The British have a saying: 'Fuck you all!'"

(from a French film I'd love to track down. But I missed the start and wasn't really paying attention until this gem was uttered. It suits every occasion.)
Was it La Haine by any chance? A film about Parisian gangs. I seem to remember the quote and I haven't seen that many French films. Our day will come, is another I can remember, about gingers going on a rampage while travelling to Ireland to be with other gingers (seriously). They both have the same actor in them, Vincent something, lanky skinhead that looks like a thug.

Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
Was it La Haine by any chance? A film about Parisian gangs. I seem to remember the quote and I haven't seen that many French films. Our day will come, is another I can remember, about gingers going on a rampage while travelling to Ireland to be with other gingers (seriously). They both have the same actor in them, Vincent something, lanky skinhead that looks like a thug.

Thanks my dear - I'll look those up. In the one I saw it was an elderly ex-actor who said this. That's about all I know, unfortunately. x

W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
"Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why."

Kurt Vonnegut

• Love
Reactions: disconnection, xalltoowell, Epsilon0 and 1 other person
torturedbylife

torturedbylife

Enemy of the world
May 2, 2020
The one in my signature. It really resonates with me.

Reactions: a.n.kirillov