DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
my newest one is pretty weird i guess.

after sleeping when i get up and change clothes i usually throw my sleeping shirt on the bed. lately it sometimes occurs that i dont like they way the shirt lies on the bed (the shape it has) so i have to take it and throw it again, till it's ok.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: VabeniPokojneTmy and Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I'm loathe to reply. Of all the things i suffer from, this drives me nuts and no one must see it...

Little things like putting the remote down before I go to bed. It has to be put down a certain number of times, multiples of four, or I feel an overwhelming sense of dread. And it's never job done. I go to bed and know that I've not picked it up/put it down enough times to be safe. Truth is, I can never do it enough times, because the messages just aren't there in my head.

Also, putting tools in my bag/bucket/caddy. They have to go in and be arranged in a certain way or again comes the dread. It's not always the same way either, but it HAS to be correct.

I live with this and I use it. It helped me do the landscaping for the garage plot recently for example. All those rocks have a place they must go in, it can never be just good enough, it has to be perfect. And the thing is, it's not just insane, when it all slots into place, other people can see that it works.

Edit:
And today...backing up the PC...I have this problem where if a functionality exists, then I'm compelled to use it, so my backups are comprehensive to say the least:

Backup file history to a second SSD (D)
Manually copied snapshot of files and folders on magnetic drive (E)
Recovery bootable OS USB key
Incremental backup plan on primary external HDD
System image saved to secondary external HDD
System repair disc
Bootable Linux distro USB (just in case)
Plus Win 10 has a recovery partition on the boot drive anyway

I'm not paranoid, just thorough :blarg:

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Ghost2211, XYZ and DocNo
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
three things in life are certain, death, taxes and loss of data.
i am one of these guys who does a lot to avoid loss of data. some stuff is partly triple backuped. depending on importance. i always wear a portable ssd with me when i leave home, were all my important data is stored.
lot of cables which are just lying around give me nearly physical pain as long the are not arranged.

and i really wasted lots of time rearranging my folder structure - sometimes deep hierachy. lately more flat hierachy structure.

the crazy thing is, that part of this behaviour helps me at work. my error quote is near zero and everything i finished runs perfectly smooth.
but the inner hell i going through sometimes in this process is really tough.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
i am one of these guys who does a lot to avoid loss of data. some stuff is partly triple backuped. depending on importance. i always wear a portable ssd with me when i leave home, were all my important data is stored.
lot of cables which are just lying around give me nearly physical pain as long the are not arranged.

and i really wasted lots of time rearranging my folder structure - sometimes deep hierachy. lately more flat hierachy structure.

the crazy thing is, that part of this behaviour helps me at work. my error quote is near zero and everything i finished runs perfectly smooth.
I was the same at work. My filing structure made so much sense, anyone else (even journalists) could understand the conventions. It meant I could always find anything that was archived and cut down on mistakes. It was logical and basic and I even made a PDF on the intranet to explain it all to them, just so they wouldn't call me on leave. It worked so well I was made redundant LOL.

Reactions: DocNo
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020

this makes sense. in fact i should be doing it considering how often my electronics break (might be my fault :ahhha: )

as for OCD. nothing really. although i do have a few traits of something in that category but i dont like saying i have OCD. one thing that sticks out in my head though is where i currently live we have a gate. if i dont close the gate i panic. i use the gate as a reminder that i double checked the house is locked so my cats are safe. if i get in the vehicle and the gate isnt closed i have to get back out check the door then close the gate, some times several times until im satisfied the door is locked.

Reactions: Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I'd be interested in what other sufferers have to say about the idea that you can have 'A touch of OCD.'

I'd say, no. There is a world of difference between being organised or temporarily fixating on something, and having to perform insane rituals endless times to ensure the universe doesn't implode. :hihi:

• Love
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
oh man - my universe imploded several times but strangely still exists :D

• Hugs
Pho3nix

Pho3nix

Wishing for eternal sleep
Oct 20, 2020
My main OCD behaviour is washing my hands constantly. They just never feel clean enough.

• Hugs
Reactions: stygal and Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I think mine is a numbers thing, doing things in multiples of four. It's utterly nuts and I pray no-one ever sees me do it. I've hidden it all my life and never had a diagnosis.

Reactions: stygal and Pho3nix
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
I have to clean and organize my flat every day in a certain way otherwise I can't leave it/go to sleep. Everything has its place, if I were to get visitors (which is basically never) they have to abide my rules and it gets awkward real quick because I organize everything after them. So I usually meet outside so avoid my stupid brain.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 1465 and Pho3nix
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I have to clean and organize my flat every day in a certain way otherwise I can't leave it/go to sleep. Everything has its place, if I were to get visitors (which is basically never) they have to abide my rules and it gets awkward real quick because I organize everything after them. So I usually meet outside so avoid my stupid brain.
LOL yes. Lockdown here so it's a mute point, but if anyone did come to my house, every damn little thing they put out of place would cause me stress. And they don't realise it, don't realise how in someways it's easier for me to be alone.

Reactions: stygal
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
yep. bothers me too. but i mostly keep that to myself and cleanup/rearrange after they left.
but since i pretty much abandoned everybody and only have two "friends" which whom i phone sometimes or email this problem vanished.

but i have a very minimalist approach to "friends". you cant expect anything from me but i also won't expect anything from you.
a bit like this "don't expect things from others which are you don't willing to do."

Reactions: stygal and Deleted member 1465
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
heard that the first time at star trek next generation.

stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
yep. bothers me too. but i mostly keep that to myself and cleanup/rearrange after they left.
but since i pretty much abandoned everybody and only have two "friends" which whom i phone sometimes or email this problem vanished.

but i have a very minimalist approach to "friends". you cant expect anything from me but i also won't expect anything from you.
a bit like this "don't expect things from others which are you don't willing to do."
Having friends...oh well...as a schizoid I have hard time caring about anyone or anything.
I only used to force myself to be social in the past. So I relate very much to what you are saying.

DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
i also came to a self diagnosis that i am pretty schizoid.

• Hugs
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
i also came to a self diagnosis that i am pretty schizoid.
But on the bright side: It's much easier being schizoid and living pretty much solitary since they/we don't care as much. I don't miss company not even physically. Others go crazy e.g. during this lockdown situation.

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk and DocNo
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
yep. i am made for this lockdown stuff. didnt change anything for me ^^

bit off-topic. but i mostly live in my dreams. there i am very active. a lot around people talking to them. even falling in love with women and waking up with butterflies.

edit: also dont miss physical company. last intimate relationship i had was over 20 years ago.
and stuff like handshaking or hugging i never really liked. more the star trek spock guy who salutes others.

stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
yep. i am made for this lockdown stuff. didnt change anything for me ^^

bit off-topic. but i mostly live in my dreams. there i am very active. a lot around people talking to them. even falling in love with women and waking up with butterflies.

Yes, lockdown itself is great minus being able to at travel next year (alone)!

yup, I pretty much walk around and dream up conversations or imagine being in certain scenarios and don't give a shit that it's not real because to me it feels like that. Haha

DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
some dreams felt so really that when they became a memory i sometimes was not sure if it really happened or i just dreamed it.

stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
some dreams felt so really that when they became a memory i sometimes was not sure if it really happened or i just dreamed it.

When I'm home alone for too long it tends to happen to me too. But working forces me in a different environment and I get out of my head a bit.
But overall it shouldn't be a problem: reality is whatever you perceive as such...for me anyways.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Interesting. Two schizoids? I used to think I was schizoid too when I was younger. I no longer think I am, it was kind of a defence mechanism whilst i tried to figure myself out. I'm just very independent as an INFJ introvert.

Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
This is going to be the new lounge for @Underscore :))

stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
Interesting. Two schizoids? I used to think I was schizoid too when I was younger. I no longer think I am, it was kind of a defence mechanism whilst i tried to figure myself out. I'm just very independent as an INFJ introvert.
The schizoid spectrum varies...so you might still be one but with milder symptoms or not...who knows. I just realized after reading a few Reddit posts and checking the official criteria and then reporting back to my doc. :D
I'm INTJ btw, which is also close. Many schizoids seem to have similar personalities or traits. So weird.

• Hugs
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
The schizoid spectrum varies...so you might still be one but with milder symptoms or not...who knows. I just realized after reading a few Reddit posts and checking the official criteria and then reporting back to my doc. :D
I'm INTJ btw, which is also close. Many schizoids seem to have similar personalities or traits. So weird.
Fair point. Not cut and dried, all exists on a continuum. I do enjoy human company though, I just need to be alone to recharge, so I'm comfortable alone.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'm very particular about numbers, specifically avoiding the number 4 or any other weird numbers wherever I can because it's bad luck in many Asian cultures.

For example, the volume meter in my car goes from 0-63. Within that range, the only acceptable volumes for me to set are (1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 15, 18, 20, 22, 25, 28, 30, 32, 33, 35, 38, 42, 45, 48, 50, 52, 55, 58, 60, 62, and 63).

I have other mild OCD habits, but this is the main one I can think about for now.

stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
I'm very particular about numbers, specifically avoiding the number 4 or any other weird numbers wherever I can because it's bad luck in many Asian cultures.

For example, the volume meter in my car goes from 0-63. Within that range, the only acceptable volumes for me to set are (1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 15, 18, 20, 22, 25, 28, 30, 32, 33, 35, 38, 42, 45, 48, 50, 52, 55, 58, 60, 62, and 63).

I have other mild OCD habits, but this is the main one I can think about for now.

So interesting to hear that others seem to suffer from similar things.
For me only even numbers or numbers that end with 5 or 0 are acceptable. In what ever circumstance - measuring, pumping gas, buying things, walking a certain amount of steps etc. Any uneven number appears and I have to keep going until it's even.
Annoying

• Hugs
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc and Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Multiples of four for me! Four rocks! Down with threes and fives and such! :blarg:

DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
i also like the four - one of my favorites. threes and fives suck :D

Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I have some weird OCD tendencies, like @Dr Iron Arc they mostly revolve around numbers. The others are related to my hobbies and trying to be a perfectionist with them.

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc