H

Harleyyy

Student
May 15, 2020
I don't think any of us matter. We're just bags of blood and bones with an over complicated brain. Who would remember you after you leave? Your relatives? That's it? Most of us aren't really popular and will be forgotten anyway, it sucks just wallowing in misery and just existing for the sake of it, i sound so pessimistic but what is really worth staying around for? For most of us it doesn't matter if we're standing in a dumpster or in a beautiful castle amidst some beautiful scenery. We still feel like shit. We still want to end it.
if something makes u happy, then sure! Have a great life and good for you, but for me, life's not worth it. all quotes you see are about not giving up and working hard but why? Why does it have to be that hard? Can't we just live? Damn it. I wish i never was born, even after belonging to a financially well family, no prominent disabilities, a good body i still feel like shit! What is the pointof it all?

• Hugs
Reactions: Bauhaus, EternalDarkness, Hopeindeath! and 26 others
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
The point of all life, I think, is that all life must toil and/or struggle for its survival and well-being.

I don't think there's a higher purpose or a higher point.

Anything that has told me different has been religion, self-help or New Age social engineering BS, or something that makes me feel high rather than grounded in mundane reality.

Sometimes reality sucks, sometimes it is enjoyable. For some it sucks more and for longer, for some it is more enjoyable and for longer, but all is temporary, and all has toil and struggle tied up with it, whether to fight against it or to maintain it.

As long as we exist, though, we do matter. We are social animals, and we are all vulnerable to others. We impact each other in positive, negative, or neutral ways. If we impact, we matter. If we are impacted by someone else, they matter. That's my perspective anyway.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Myforevercharlie, Busdriver, dec132013 and 7 others
Dima2

Dima2

Jul 24, 2020
When life is good , I forget about all of this like i am living forever, now that i am hitting rock bottom i tell my self that nothing matters anyway,

thing is, something doesn't add up about life , I can't simply accept that all of this is meaningless or maybe i am just too delusional,

I think suicide is never a bad option because you either have a nice life which is cool , or you just end your suffer, no point in a miserable life , you just accelerate the inevitable,

wish you peace of mind

Reactions: I_love_to_bake and _Minsk
WOODESITY

WOODESITY

Experienced
Mar 15, 2019
For some people like my father his purpose was to reproduce and be remembered, but for me being remembered doesn't matter anything, some people don't really have anyone in their life not even relatives, for me, i see life as just survival, on the way some could enjoy things, but life is more of suffering and anything that feels good comes from some sort of deprivation that needs to be fulfilled, problems that need to be fixed etc.. and finally everyone dies in the end, there is nothing to be gained in the end, we all lose in the end I think

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc and Meditation guide
lostangel

lostangel

Enlightened
Mar 22, 2019
The point of all life, I think, is that all life must toil and/or struggle for its survival and well-being.

Anything that has told me different has been religion, self-help or New Age social engineering BS, or something that makes me feel high rather than grounded in mundane reality.

Sometimes reality sucks, sometimes it is enjoyable. For some it sucks more and for longer, for some it is more enjoyable and for longer, but all is temporary, and all has toil and struggle tied up with it, whether to fight against it or to maintain it.

As long as we exist, though, we do matter. We are social animals, and we are all vulnerable to others. We impact each other in positive, negative, or neutral ways. If we impact, we matter. If we are impacted by someone else, they matter. That's my perspective anyway.
Hi, could you elaborate on ''new age social engineering bs''? I'm just curious as seeing that makes me question something and I don't want to misinterpret it.

Reactions: I_love_to_bake
T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
This reminds me of this

Reactions: I_love_to_bake and Living_Hurts_so_Much
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Reproduce. That is all. There may be something quite profound in there, but if there is, it's not for us to know. Yet.

Reactions: KleinerWolf
Mistake of Nature

Mistake of Nature

A shadow suspended on dust
Mar 30, 2020
Each of us matters in that what we say and do affects other people/animals/Earth etc., but beyond that, I agree that we're basically just decaying flesh bags that are hardwired to reproduce for who knows what reason. There's no point to life and there's no meaning in suffering. We can try to manufacture purpose and meaning to our lives, but this will require self-deception.

• Hugs
Reactions: EternalDarkness, Sprite_Geist and Deleted member 1465
Nature_is_God

Nature_is_God

The cause of suffering is the desire to exist
Jul 27, 2020
Agree with you completely. Too bad, as humans, there is no way 100% abide by this. If humans were able to abide by this belief, humanity would've ended long ago.

Silver

Silver

The 21st century is when everything changes
Aug 8, 2020
We might matter to those who know us. Otherwise we are a random name or number: someone else Taking up resources. Most ppl only care when we're gone because of the taboo of suicide: it gains more attention. I think if suicide were more socially acceptable, only those who wanted to die would die, and their death Wouldn't gain the Same shock of the Type of death.
Like @Twombly says, there is no inherent meaning to life. We are born , we reproduce , we die. Human intelligence means we seek a reason for our lives. If we cannot find one, what then?

color_me_gone

color_me_gone

Sun is rising
Dec 27, 2018
So we are discussing nihilism here.
Humans invented god and religion to combat nihilism.

Deleted member 18655

Deleted member 18655

Enlightened
Jun 4, 2020
YDM - You Don't Matter is my mantra when I get anxious. It's also the letters I cut when I SI.

I know this sentiment well.

Reactions: Ybother, _Minsk and Meditation guide
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Hi, could you elaborate on ''new age social engineering bs''? I'm just curious as seeing that makes me question something and I don't want to misinterpret it.

I think that both the self-help movement and New Age are efforts at social engineering. I don't know the purpose, I don't know who's behind it. I only am aware that whatever gets into popular culture through media such as the news, music, movies, and publishing are filtered and have great impact on the beliefs and actions of the masses. I think that things are allowed or disallowed to get into the culture, and are also disseminated. Oprah Winfrey is a major disseminator of both self-help and New Age information and beliefs, and it seems to me that there is stuff in each that is genuinely helpful combined with opiates for the masses; or, a few genuinely helpful things get through, but under the same agenda-driven umbrella, so I still remain skeptical of them no matter how much they've helped me (e.g., Brene Brown, the book Boundaries, Stoicism). Neither self-help nor New Age is as fulfilling as it promises, but is full of dangling carrots that may lead to some satisfaction but also a lot of pursuit after unattainable "higher" things. They often promise to take people out of and transcend the mundane, rather than dealing with the mundane, so it's like having a filter of being high all the time. For instance, one popular author who promotes Stoicism and helped it become mainstream popular makes Stoicism seem as if it's the answer to overcoming everything, when it fact it is limited and is quite cognizant of the challenges of the mundane -- and of course offers rational suicide as a way out, which could also serve an agenda of population reduction. With New Age, which I used to believe in and practically preach, just as I did Christianity prior to that, I've looked at the history of the movement and it came in from several sources, including the cultish Theosophical movement, Edward Cayce, the Beatles (the second wave of Indian mysticism being introduced to the West and Transcendental Meditation) and neo-/Western Buddhism (see Chogyam Trungpa, the abusive alcoholic and addict founder of Shambala Buddhism and Naropa University, proponent of "crazy wisdom" such as pointing guns at people). The author of A Course in Miracles, a major New Age text, remained anonymous until after her death, received the text through "transmissions," worked closely in receiving the transmissions and writing it with a CIA operative, and was quoted as saying after it was published that she bitterly regretted "that damn book." If you look back at the movement of the hippies in the 60s, the CIA introduced drugs into the sub-culture, and one of the main leaders, Alan Watts, was a self-proclaimed spiritual entertainer who was brilliant but also played fast and loose with Zen doctrine. It was one of many waves of New Age beliefs and practices. The counterculture movement of that era was socially very promising and seemingly transcendental, and impotent in affecting real change. Nowadays, it's yoga and meditation and New Age and self-empowerment and -improvement and climate change and reducing one's footprint and social justice, etc. There's some good in all of this, but to what practical end? It seems to me more like diversionary tactics and wheel-spinning then ever arriving at any possibility of real change, whether at the personal, social, or global level, or the changes would happen.

I hope this post doesn't lead to a derailment of the thread! I just wanted to answer your question. This post is my opinion and perspective based on personal research and studies in semiotics (making meaning through language, such as cultural myths). I highly recommend the book Mythologies by Roland Barthes if you're interested in seeing how myths are disseminated in and influence popular culture. They generally play on emotions and beliefs and get people "high" so that they will buy into what is actually harmful and enslaving, whether of others (such as a colonialized culture) or themselves.

• Love
Reactions: woxihuanni, I_love_to_bake, lostangel and 2 others
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019

It's really not even about that. It's about nothing. Just nothing.

Reactions: woxihuanni and Meditation guide
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
The whole idea of things 'mattering' is a vague concept anyway. What does it mean to have significance? Ultimately all you have to navigate the world is your own body and mind, so use it do what you want to do.

Reactions: I_love_to_bake, Harleyyy, Wayfaerer and 1 other person
SipSop

SipSop

Arcanist
May 7, 2020

Loved it.

Reactions: woxihuanni and GoodPersonEffed
muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
I believe we all matter in the sense that we're here and we have intrinsic worth as human beings. As for whether life itself has a higher purpose, I suppose that's up the individual to discern for themselves

woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
Not mattering or things being pointless don't bother me. If I could meet my animal needs, I would be grateful to live. It is a short time anyway. At this point I've given up my intellectual needs, that's what an entire life of being allowed to have ONLY those does to you.
I think that both the self-help movement and New Age are efforts at social engineering. I don't know the purpose, I don't know who's behind it. I only am aware that whatever gets into popular culture through media such as the news, music, movies, and publishing are filtered and have great impact on the beliefs and actions of the masses. I think that things are allowed or disallowed to get into the culture, and are also disseminated. Oprah Winfrey is a major disseminator of both self-help and New Age information and beliefs, and it seems to me that there is stuff in each that is genuinely helpful combined with opiates for the masses; or, a few genuinely helpful things get through, but under the same agenda-driven umbrella, so I still remain skeptical of them no matter how much they've helped me (e.g., Brene Brown, the book Boundaries, Stoicism). Neither self-help nor New Age is as fulfilling as it promises, but is full of dangling carrots that may lead to some satisfaction but also a lot of pursuit after unattainable "higher" things. They often promise to take people out of and transcend the mundane, rather than dealing with the mundane, so it's like having a filter of being high all the time. For instance, one popular author who promotes Stoicism and helped it become mainstream popular makes Stoicism seem as if it's the answer to overcoming everything, when it fact it is limited and is quite cognizant of the challenges of the mundane -- and of course offers rational suicide as a way out, which could also serve an agenda of population reduction. With New Age, which I used to believe in and practically preach, just as I did Christianity prior to that, I've looked at the history of the movement and it came in from several sources, including the cultish Theosophical movement, Edward Cayce, the Beatles (the second wave of Indian mysticism being introduced to the West and Transcendental Meditation) and neo-/Western Buddhism (see Chogyam Trungpa, the abusive alcoholic and addict founder of Shambala Buddhism and Naropa University, proponent of "crazy wisdom" such as pointing guns at people). The author of A Course in Miracles, a major New Age text, remained anonymous until after her death, received the text through "transmissions," worked closely in receiving the transmissions and writing it with a CIA operative, and was quoted as saying after it was published that she bitterly regretted "that damn book." If you look back at the movement of the hippies in the 60s, the CIA introduced drugs into the sub-culture, and one of the main leaders, Alan Watts, was a self-proclaimed spiritual entertainer who was brilliant but also played fast and loose with Zen doctrine. It was one of many waves of New Age beliefs and practices. The counterculture movement of that era was socially very promising and seemingly transcendental, and impotent in affecting real change. Nowadays, it's yoga and meditation and New Age and self-empowerment and -improvement and climate change and reducing one's footprint and social justice, etc. There's some good in all of this, but to what practical end? It seems to me more like diversionary tactics and wheel-spinning then ever arriving at any possibility of real change, whether at the personal, social, or global level, or the changes would happen.

I hope this post doesn't lead to a derailment of the thread! I just wanted to answer your question. This post is my opinion and perspective based on personal research and studies in semiotics (making meaning through language, such as cultural myths). I highly recommend the book Mythologies by Roland Barthes if you're interested in seeing how myths are disseminated in and influence popular culture. They generally play on emotions and beliefs and get people "high" so that they will buy into what is actually harmful and enslaving, whether of others (such as a colonialized culture) or themselves.

I wish more people would recognise this unnamed religion for what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: agentgeez