Who knows what the mind is capable of

• Love
Reactions: sserafim, Per Ardua Ad Astra, houseofleaves and 4 others
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
Sounds like a cursed superpower. (Joke)

I have never heard of that. The most I know is people dying from grief. Thanks for the interesting article. :heart:

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, houseofleaves, LostMyWorld and 2 others
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
I relate to some of that article/research and hypothesis. Particularly the addition of 'Freeze' to fight or flight.

Reactions: sserafim, Per Ardua Ad Astra, houseofleaves and 5 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Guess there's always this solution as a backup method. šŸ˜…

• Yay!
Reactions: Trezzohno, houseofleaves, WrongPlaceWrongTime and 3 others
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
I still feel huge frustration with doctors focusing on mind over physical health in many cases. They regularly make the incorrect assumption that the mind is causing the illness rather than the other way around. It's a convenient excuse to treat the symptoms rather than the actual cause and avoid having to say they don't know. In fact they're so over confident in their assumptions that they don't even consider the possibility they're wrong. That is the definition of ignorance and it'a a disservice to many. Myself included. It's also a diversion on the road to finding correct answers to medical issues therefore hindering medical science overall.

From what I can tell, the title of this thread (and I mean no offence by this!) is a little incorrect. The people in the study are convinced of their impending death so aren't wishing for it so much as fearful but certain of it. I guess there's an element of acceptance involved too. However, maybe I'm picking hairs. It's a good share and I'm glad you shared the article OP. Just pointing out my observation. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, Chinaski, Mixo and 5 others
miserableforever

miserableforever

Arcanist
Oct 23, 2020
Guess there's always this solution as a backup method. šŸ˜…
Right? I'm not even joking, I've had short episodes before where my heart would not stop skipping for what seemed an eternity.

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
S

Sakura94

empty
Nov 26, 2020
So has anyone here tried to will themselves to death?

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, nox_ghoul, gottago222 and 1 other person
Wrennie

Wrennie

-
Dec 18, 2019
Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, milly and 3 others
Iamchickenhat

Iamchickenhat

Experienced
Dec 17, 2021
I came across this article a few days ago and thought I would share

You know, my grandma turned 91, had a quiet birthday (she had dementia) and went to sleep in her nursing home. The next morning she decided to stop drinking water and was dead in 2 days. She just made up her mind to die. And she did. Painlessly and unconscious. The greatest generation was so great they decided when to die.

• Love
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
If this doesn't work, holding your breath until you die definitely will.

Reactions: Iamchickenhat, Sunset Limited and Velvet Fortress
C

Capsicum_Corral

Experienced
Dec 10, 2021

The Candidate is a 20 minute film about thoughts causing death, and imo is really well done. That Meghan, Duchess of Sussex chick has a role in it too. (hopefully that wasn't too much of a spoiler)

• Informative
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra and Snake of Eden
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
It's like those of us who always get what we don't want and never what we do or need.
So when you think "a stroke is bad" I bet my mind in the past before I gave up completely aimed to develop these things which is why I'm riddled with disease. But when I thought "feeling loved would be nice"
"haha fat chance we don't give people like you those things"
*spits on me, kicks me to the mud, puts boot on my face and reminds me I'm as low as dog shit* that's this loving universe people speak of...

And when you finally get to the point of so much suffering you can't take anymore youre body keeps you going so you continue to serve the sick sadistic cock gobbling suffering feeders pulling the strings. I have tears writing this because it's so true but you will think I'm trying to be funny.

• Aww..
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra
WrongPlaceWrongTime

WrongPlaceWrongTime

Better never to have been
Jul 4, 2021
  • Yay!
Reactions: sserafim, Lost in a Dream, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 3 others
Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

ā€œYe shall be as gods..šŸŽ šŸā€
Jun 22, 2021
I really pray and wish for death everytime i go to sleep that I dont even notice when it happens. I dont want anything else in life. I have N which is supposed to be the best method there yet I cant get over the idea of causing my own death. The alternatives is either to rot over decades or drink some chemically tasting substance to put me to deep sleep until I stop breathing and suffocate to death. How wonderful

• Hugs
Reactions: little helpers
Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

ā€œYe shall be as gods..šŸŽ šŸā€
Jun 22, 2021
I still feel huge frustration with doctors focusing on mind over physical health in many cases. They regularly make the incorrect assumption that the mind is causing the illness rather than the other way around. It's a convenient excuse to treat the symptoms rather than the actual cause and avoid having to say they don't know. In fact they're so over confident in their assumptions that they don't even consider the possibility they're wrong. That is the definition of ignorance and it'a a disservice to many. Myself included. It's also a diversion on the road to finding correct answers to medical issues therefore hindering medical science overall.
I wholeheartedly agree with all you say %100. I think many of mental problems are causing by something else going in the body rather than the other way around for example low grade inflammation and systemic autoimmune pathology that affects the nervous system as a symptom. The medical system is not advanced yet to acknowledge that until then it will not have the humility to consider other alternatives until enough evidence shows otherwise.

• Love
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, little helpers, lostundead and 1 other person
lostundead

lostundead

Student
Mar 18, 2021
Complete nonsense. This dude is essentially saying people who die in accidents didn't practice enough positive thinking in contrast to those who survived.

Reactions: Superdeterminist and little helpers
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

ęƒ³ę­»äøčƒ½ - ęƒ³ę“»äøčƒ½
Nov 23, 2020
i wish i may, i wish i might, finally croak in my sleep tonight :love:

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: UseItOrLoseIt, miserableforever, Life sucks and 1 other person
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
Tell that to this lady
5b73e19c7ef92

• Aww..
Reactions: Lost in a Dream and Mixo
S

Sakura94

empty
Nov 26, 2020
I hope that doesn't mean I'm doomed to be stuck on this rock for 109+ years... I can barely handle 30!

That picture is fake.
Though the oldest woman in the world (118) Lucile Randon did say she would : "be better off in heaven",
However:
she also expressed joy at being "pampered" by her family. She continues to enjoy chocolate and a glass of wine every day.
I don't think people who hate living really will stay for nearly forever like these.

• Hugs
Reactions: waitingforrest and Lost in a Dream
Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
That picture is fake.

I was mostly joking though lol. I figured there was no way someone who wanted to die could last that long, since it would seem like their heart would give out eventually. Still, how cruel would that be? Being suicidal and forced to live for a whole century? I can't even imagine.

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, Sakura94 and waitingforrest
S

Sakura94

empty
Nov 26, 2020
I was mostly joking though lol. I figured there was no way someone who wanted to die could last that long, since it would seem like their heart would give out eventually. Still, how cruel would that be? Being suicidal and forced to live for a whole century? I can't even imagine.
Yeah probably, sorry if I have trouble reading humor into posts I take things at face value lately. I actually wonder if my heart is damaged from constant stress, anxiety, depression ect.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lost in a Dream
Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
Yeah probably, sorry if I have trouble reading humor into posts I take things at face value lately. I actually wonder if my heart is damaged from constant stress, anxiety, depression ect.

It's hard to notice things like that when all you see is text on a page, so it isn't your fault. What I said about not wanting to live that long is definitely true, but I was trying to word it in a way that would give someone a chuckle when they read it. Maybe I just suck at writing humorous posts. :ahhha: