aedric_artifact

aedric_artifact

Find me in the sweetest oblivion
Jun 27, 2020
Hello. I was curious what others thought about this. If you knew you could talk to a therapist or psychiatrist about your suicidal ideations + intentions without the fear of being sent to a psych ward, would you?

I would. This site is the only place where I can talk freely without fear of repercussions. What would you do?

Reactions: AJ., sadghost, stillweary and 2 others
Broken Chimera

Broken Chimera

The abyss also gazes into you
May 27, 2019
I probably still wouldn't talk. I'd think it would be used against me regardless of what they said.

Reactions: puppy9, AnxietyAttack44, aedric_artifact and 1 other person
D

Deleted member 19276

Wizard
Jun 28, 2020
In real life, the only people I can really rely on for that sort of talk are my mom and dad, as much as they don't take it all that seriously or feel very annoyed by it , as the case with my dad. Outside however, I would never risk it. You never know who might try to call some blue uniforms on you to take you away into their "treatment" facilities. Maybe I can rely on my psychiatrist and psychologist for those sort of things, they don't take me that seriously as well.

So in a sense, I guess I answered that I can basically speak to my two doctors about that without too much fear of being sent away or detained. Shame that not all doctors are like that. Some prefer to lock their patients up than actually listen to them.

Reactions: AnxietyAttack44, Lastsauce and aedric_artifact
F

FadingAway

Jun 22, 2020
This is a great point. I most definitely would talk about it. I don't want to be like this but I understand talking about it will only make things worse. Locking me up isn't going to help at all.

That's why the people that go through with it often never bring it up. We're serious about it and don't need anymore obstacles. If I could simply talk about it, maybe something would change who knows...

Reactions: sadghost, pentobarbitaldreams, aedric_artifact and 2 others
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
If that person had proven to be safe and supportive for me, then yes, I would talk to them in order to receive support, provided they had already supported me to great benefit for other issues. That's what they're supposed to be there for, but most fail.

Reactions: aedric_artifact and Deleted member 19276
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
If there really was no risk to talking I would talk, but even if there isn't a risk of being detained there are real social risks.

Reactions: AJ., aedric_artifact and Deleted member 19276
F

FadingAway

Jun 22, 2020
I'm pretty sure my docs would be more willing to adjust my meds as well. My concerns aren't taken seriously

• Hugs
  • Wow
Reactions: puppy9, aedric_artifact, stillweary and 3 others
I

IrRegularjoe

Apr 8, 2020
If possible yes. In fact I have tried to talk about euthanasia. But when they ask about suicidal thoughts. Sometimes I can't think of how annoying it is to have a stranger ask you. They're only interested is locking you up. I can't see how this helps anyone.

Reactions: aedric_artifact, stillweary and Deleted member 19276
S

SSlostallhope

Student
May 23, 2020
I'm pretty sure my docs would be more willing to adjust my meds as well. My concerns aren't taken seriously
Gosh that's how I feel. If I told my doctor how I really felt I could probably have a higher dose but there's the risk of being sectioned

Reactions: aedric_artifact
S

stillweary

May 15, 2020
Pretty much the only honest conversation I have comes from posting on websites using throwaway accounts. Having an honest conversation would be a dream come true.

• Aww..
Reactions: AJ., aedric_artifact and Deleted member 19276
SipSop

SipSop

Arcanist
May 7, 2020
Hello. I was curious what others thought about this. If you knew you could talk to a therapist or psychiatrist about your suicidal ideations + intentions without the fear of being sent to a psych ward, would you?

I would. This site is the only place where I can talk freely without fear of repercussions. What would you do?
I do not understand why people label people who want to die as mentally ill.
I came up with my decision once I've seen no point in going on. No career, no significant other, no friends, no interest, no nothing!
Is like a joke played on some people by the Universe. And we are not laughing.
Well, sometimes I do. When I realise how miserable I am. But still.
People do not get it that you reach this conclusion by rational thinking. Is a rational decision to want to cease to live.

And I don't like it that people tell you what good life is, when only their life is great.

Reactions: AJ., Bct, aedric_artifact and 2 others
Made4TV

Made4TV

A hopeless hope junkie
Sep 17, 2018
For me I've found that the key to being able to talk about suicidal ideation is to put the listener at ease. Especially if they are a mental health provider who has liability issues at stake as well as whatever personal stuff they bring to the table that makes them want to save others. Tell them you have no immediate plans. At least in the US, that usually will work - if you say you have no immediate plans, and no weapons (this is tricky for folks, I know), there's really no reason they can hold you - unless you're talking complete nonsense and they can decide you're a danger to yourself or others if you can't reality test and know what is real from what isn't. I usually say things like "It's just fleeting thoughts, and I don't have any kind of plan, but I can sometimes get really wrapped up in them and it's hard to get out of that place of despair" - especially when I need med increase. The key is putting them at ease that they won't be liable...nobody wants to be that last person that saw you alive.

Reactions: Bct and aedric_artifact
aedric_artifact

aedric_artifact

Find me in the sweetest oblivion
Jun 27, 2020
This thread has so many interesting points! I am extremely grateful for everyone who has contributed so far. I think it is safe to say that a large portion of people who are depressed to the point where they are suicidal feel like they can not talk to anyone about their true feelings, for fear of being "punished" - being locked up, for example.

Why bother telling the truth about how severe your issues are if you already know it will result in something that you greatly fear and know will not help? I feel this approach by medical professionals needs to be looked at more than anything else. They tell us to talk to someone. To open up and be honest... but the risk of being detained scares us away from doing so.

Do we get detained for our own good? Is it to prevent the therapist / psychiatrist from being assumed responsible? Is it to milk us for more money? The answer here should be clear, but the fault is that is it not.

• Hugs
Reactions: Bct, sadghost, stillweary and 2 others
M

Moonomyth

Student
Feb 6, 2020
Talking about it without fear of repercussion has not helped me in a personal environment and I'm not sure that it would help in a professional environment either.

Reactions: aedric_artifact and Deleted member 19276
MaisieWilliamsLover

MaisieWilliamsLover

Jun 27, 2020

Yes. I would be willing to talk under 5those circumstances

pentobarbitaldreams

pentobarbitaldreams

Jun 11, 2020
If there were no chance of hospitalization, I would. Who wouldn't want to bounce off such an important idea off someone else?

Reactions: FadingAway, aedric_artifact and Deleted member 19276
A

AnxietyAttack44

I just wanna go to my husband already.
Jun 5, 2020
Yes

Close_to_freedom

Close_to_freedom

Why the long face? Cause I don’t wanna live here.
May 19, 2020
I've had therapists I could be open with. It didn't make a difference. I told them all about my suicidal fantasies. I think they understood that someone like me would die that way.

• Aww..
Reactions: Deleted member 19276 and aedric_artifact