Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
I haven't worked in years. How am I supposed to get a job?

What majors are good? I have ocd so I couldn't do accounting for example.

Reactions: UseItOrLoseIt, MiseryWithoutCompany and Remeer
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
i am 37 male never had a job in my life i've never worked and never will do

Reactions: Kundalini Guy and Remeer
Remeer

Remeer

Mar 8, 2023
That's the bad thing about not working for a while, companies question you about that
if you have experience in something it could help you find something, without it it would be dealing with unskilled jobs
I don't know what careers are good, I suppose that some with a wide labor field
for my part I would get a job and try to find a short training, a career is very long
greetings, be well

Reactions: Ambivalent1
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
neither nor, I want to CTB.

Reactions: acerace
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
I'm currently looking at getting back into work after only doing bits a pieces of work for the past 7 years. It's not going to be easy but probably will start with some volunteering (which I was doing about a year ago) and try and build from there.

Reactions: MiseryWithoutCompany and Ambivalent1
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
i am 37 male never had a job in my life i've never worked and never will do
How come?
neither nor, I want to CTB.
This is the recovery section
I'm currently looking at getting back into work after only doing bits a pieces of work for the past 7 years. It's not going to be easy but probably will start with some volunteering (which I was doing about a year ago) and try and build from there.
Do low level places like target care about job gaps?

• Informative
Reactions: MiseryWithoutCompany
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
How come?
diagnosed with schizophrenia from the age of 18, broken left shoulder dislocated 10 times goes weak and limp
i get 21,000£ per year including rent paid on benefits in the uk, i lefted school with no qualifications and a criminal record, i'd need to earn at least 30,000 a year to keep my current standard of living.

i'm good with computer tho a programmer i was working on game back in 2014 before i got a brain injury
i made 10,000£ online selling software and hacking mmo games
28071294 179785529464880 8213076781236782448 o 179785529464880

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: acerace, FormerlyFe(IV), Monique696 and 3 others
MiseryWithoutCompany

MiseryWithoutCompany

Doggo Good, Doggo Great
Oct 1, 2020
Returning to work would probably do some good for low self-esteem! Personally, it's a dream for me to have a liveable income outside of any kind of assistance.

Maybe volunteering first would help with any sort of work gap... At least, that was the solution recommended to those who were out of highschool and either about to enter or already were in college. Kinda like treating things as if you didn't have work experience at all.

Alternatively, you could write your resumé in whatever way describes hobbies or any sort of activity you've indulged in *as* volunteering. (D&D being referred to as "team building exercises" for example). It *can* work, but probably only for entry-level jobs.

School is a bit tricky though. The tech industry seems to be the best angle, but where specifically might depend on what's accessible to you, occupation wise. (i.e. working from home)

Edit: This is all from the perpective of someone living in the U.S. Sorry if anything doesn't line up with your own country...

Last edited:
Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Returning to work would probably do some good for low self-esteem! Personally, it's a dream for me to have a liveable income outside of any kind of assistance.

Maybe volunteering first would help with any sort of work gap... At least, that was the solution recommended to those who were out of highschool and either about to enter or already were in college. Kinda like treating things as if you didn't have work experience at all.

Alternatively, you could write your resumé in whatever way describes hobbies or any sort of activity you've indulged in *as* volunteering. (D&D being referred to as "team building exercises" for example). It *can* work, but probably only for entry-level jobs.

School is a bit tricky though. The tech industry seems to be the best angle, but where specifically might depend on what's accessible to you, occupation wise. (i.e. working from home)

Edit: This is all from the perpective of someone living in the U.S. Sorry if anything doesn't line up with your own country...
What majors are good? Lib arts is bad I know. I'm not interested in any particular subject. I'm good at writing, but I don't know how to write stories.

Reactions: acerace
cgrtt.brns

cgrtt.brns

wandering ghost (he/him)
Apr 19, 2023
im currently looking for work and its exhausting and seemingly impossible to find anything suitable for me, even volunteer work. ive been thinking about going back to college or doing a uni course as i dont feel ready to go into a career or even just a simple temp job, but im hesitant bc i dont want to waste money i dont have on something im not sure will even help me, as well as the fact i dont think im even in the right mindset or mental health to go back to education so it would be a waste of time and money if i cant even finish it. i already left a college course just before completing it bc of mental illness, but luckily i was still young enough when i started it for it to be free (uk). its confusing and uncertain, im not sure what i should do, what i can do or what i want to do. ideally i would never work again as having a job worsens my mental health significantly, but i need to be independent bc relying on my parents is also worsening my mental health. i have no fucking clue lol

P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
perhaps doing both could work?

you can try places like target I guess to start off.

on the other hand, if you really want to jump with both feet in without a degree and make good money, perhaps sales could be something? honestly one of the only paths that jump out to me where people without a degree or minimal experience end up making 6-7 figures down the road.

Reactions: MiseryWithoutCompany
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Yes but from necessity- not choice. I need to support myself financially and I'm doing terribly in my freelance creative 'career'. Once my current project is done, I'l be back to job hunting again. I'm dreading it.

UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
I've never been unemployed. Almost 15 years of a steady job with a 2 year medical leave in between.

Would rather go back to school. Learning is much nicer than mindlessly serving.

MiseryWithoutCompany

MiseryWithoutCompany

Doggo Good, Doggo Great
Oct 1, 2020
What majors are good? Lib arts is bad I know. I'm not interested in any particular subject. I'm good at writing, but I don't know how to write stories.
Something in the tech field like coding maybe? Most businesses are tech-heavy so that job market might always havr openings. Not too certain on the specific though... Computer science? It's definitely a good idea to do some research in that direction on what looks interesting enough to pursue maybe.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I haven't worked in years. How am I supposed to get a job?

What majors are good? I have ocd so I couldn't do accounting for example.
Personally I'm currently in school, I'm majoring in computer science. Also, low level places like Target might care about job gaps and might not, I imagine it just varies on location.

Also, if you decide to go to college for something like computer science, be prepared because it can get fairly hard. I'm awful with math and struggling with my math classes.

The payoff is great though as you can make upwards of six figures starting if you're in a HCOL area. It's also a growing market.

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Something in the tech field like coding maybe? Most businesses are tech-heavy so that job market might always havr openings. Not too certain on the specific though... Computer science? It's definitely a good idea to do some research in that direction on what looks interesting enough to pursue maybe.
My PTSD ruined brain can't handle that stuff. I wanted to do English but it's worthless. Also AI will take over tech jobs
Personally I'm currently in school, I'm majoring in computer science. Also, low level places like Target might care about job gaps and might not, I imagine it just varies on location.

Also, if you decide to go to college for something like computer science, be prepared because it can get fairly hard. I'm awful with math and struggling with my math classes.

The payoff is great though as you can make upwards of six figures starting if you're in a HCOL area. It's also a growing market.
I have PTSD and OCD. I'm smart but my brain's cpu is overloaded constantly. I could probably do a liberal arts degree with the remaining brain capacity. Is it worth it or go work at a store?

Last edited:
FormerlyFe(IV)

FormerlyFe(IV)

Snapped.
Jun 27, 2023
Is it worth it or go work at a store?

Maybe. Maybe getting out and working something chill can be good for you, and give you time to think about a degree.
Maybe you could then hop to a job more adequate to your needs.

Do you think a trade could suit you?

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Maybe. Maybe getting out and working something chill can be good for you, and give you time to think about a degree.
Maybe you could then hop to a job more adequate to your needs.

Do you think a trade could suit you?
I have tendon problems so no trades. Working at a store would be chill but it's low paying, probably no benefits or job security or advancement

FormerlyFe(IV)

FormerlyFe(IV)

Snapped.
Jun 27, 2023
I have tendon problems so no trades. Working at a store would be chill but it's low paying, probably no benefits or job security

Medical trades? Assistants, technicians. People that do x-rays and stuff.

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Medical trades? Assistants, technicians. People that do x-rays and stuff.
I'd love that but they require the covid vaccine

Reactions: FormerlyFe(IV)
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I'd love that but they require the covid vaccine
I have a cousin who does that kind of stuff and doesn't have the vaccination. (I don't know if she's supposed to, I imagine there is a waiver)

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
I have a cousin who does that kind of stuff and doesn't have the vaccination. (I don't know if she's supposed to, I imagine there is a waiver)
I'd like to get trained but it'd be sad if I went through it all just to be rejected for a job

Kundalini Guy

Kundalini Guy

FULLY RECOVERED
Mar 27, 2023
If I could function as normally as a neurotypical person then yes, I would. But am so messed socially due to my autism so I try to avoid it.

acerace

acerace

Jun 5, 2023
I'd like to get trained but it'd be sad if I went through it all just to be rejected for a job
If you go to a technical course specifically for medical assisting, radiology, phlebotomy they could potentially place you with a job. Depends on the program.