D

DeadHead

Belief is the enemy of knowledge
Aug 20, 2023
I'm concerned about this because I want my young relatives to get the best price for my house.

A rotting corpse can destroy a property, the fluids even damage concrete.
I'll do it in the garden so as not to damage the house.

But would you buy a house someone had killed themselves in? Would it bother you alot, or not at all?

It would be obvious it's a probate sale so questions may be asked and it would have to be declared, otherwise the buyer can make a claim against the vendor later and that would be disastrous for my relatives.

Reactions: swaraj
SSamGarrison

SSamGarrison

Chickens.
Sep 9, 2023
I'm not sure this forum will give the best understanding of the general public's opinion. However, I would say it might give some people doubts. I wouldn't think that it would be terribly hard to sell though, not like a murder or anything. Personally It wouldn't bother me too much

Reactions: Freyja13
S

SVEN

Enlightened
Apr 3, 2023
Couldn't care less, as long as it had been tidied up, redecorated if necessary.

P

pinemarten

Aug 18, 2023
Yeah sure why not? I imagine the people selling it will have had the courtesy to remove the chalk outline from the carpet and crack open a window. I reckon a lot of properties on the market have had a person pass away in them, even if it's not necessarily by their own hand. Think of all the elderly folks who pass away in their sleep and such. Sometimes you see properties on Zoopla / Right Move and you just know the person living there must have been a fair age purely from the decor alone. Ultimately no one really knows what went down in a property they buy.

I think when it's my time I'll also be leaving the house. Probably just curl up in the woods somewhere rather than taint this room. Mainly for the benefit of the other person who lives here currently, so it's not forever stained with the memory.

W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
NO! I have been to dwellings where CTB has taken place and a HUGE NO!

I knew someone who would clean the place up to put it back on the market.

Even today I cannot at times get the imagery out of my mind, just horrible.

Walter

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, Sid19 and Letmedienow
N

nessun_nome

Student
May 7, 2023
I'm concerned about this because I want my young relatives to get the best price for my house.

But would you buy a house someone had killed themselves in? Would it bother you alot, or not at all?

It would be obvious it's a probate sale so questions may be asked and it would have to be declared, otherwise the buyer can make a claim against the vendor later and that would be disastrous for my relatives.

I doubt if it will be made known to the buyers who had or hadn't died in the house and by what means. House sales here are all about the current quality/state of the house, what fixtures/fittings it comes with, any ongoing neighbourhood disputes and any legal covenants that apply.

I don't know of anybody who would even ask that. The closest you would get would be the reason for sale and it must be a very common occurrence for houses to be sold because the occupant has died there.

Last edited:
Letmedienow

Letmedienow

Aug 17, 2023
It would bother me personally but I think many people would be ok with it and there are even some people who would think it's cool. I wouldn't let this part worry you too much. The house will sell.

Reactions: DeadHead
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think it may trouble me but probably not enough to put me off a place if I really liked it. Death is a natural part of life. I guess a particularly gruesome suicide or murder even would be harder to dismiss. Still- plenty of people buy to rent- if no one wants to buy it to live there.

Reactions: jar-baby and DeadHead
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
I think you said you are housebound. In which case you don't have many options, right? It is still your house that you own that you are leaving your relatives. You won't be ruining someone else's home.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere
D

DeadHead

Aug 20, 2023
I think you said you are housebound. In which case you don't have many options, right? It is still your house that you own that you are leaving your relatives. You won't be ruining someone else's home.
No I'm not housebound

hevlalab

hevlalab

Take me back in time
Sep 14, 2023
Spooks me a little bit. Call me superstitious but a part of me believes that a bit of a persons soul stays where someone dies. So buying a house that someone ctb in doesn't really appeal to me. Just in case I get haunted in the middle of the night.

• Hugs
Reactions: DeadHead and whywere
deadtrace

deadtrace

Aug 7, 2023
I'd be a bit uncomfortable and it's feel very ominous but I'd probably get past it.

An old man actually died in the corner of my childhood room before we moved in. I only know because my parents told me after I had multiple night terrors describing an old man in that corner.

• Hugs
Reactions: DeadHead and whywere
D

DeadHead

Aug 20, 2023
But you said you can't drive nowadays. So would you take an Uber or something to get to another location?
No I dont want another location; i dont want the authorities finding me but rather a trusted person who will then transfer funds from my account to avoid inheritance tax.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
No I dont want another location; i dont want the authorities finding me but rather a trusted person who will then transfer funds from my account to avoid inheritance tax.
Then it sounds like you'll have to do it in or around your home. As you said there are upsides to doing it there.