• Corporate job

• neither

• both

Results are only viewable after voting.
aneurysm

aneurysm

Mage
Jan 27, 2019
Some people are depressed by labour jobs (social status), and others prefer it (peace of mind?).

• Which one is best and why?
• Do you have more respect for labour workers or corporate dogs? •Which one are you now?

Last edited:
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
As long as I'm actually needed and the job leads to a real positive effect and is relatively enjoyable (and has some pride in it), I don't care. I'm going for labor stuff now, when the robots take my job I guess I'll shoot myself. Who am I kidding, I'm not going to make it until automation :hihi:

Last edited:
  • Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: 262653, aneurysm, Ame and 1 other person
EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Part Time NEET - Full Time Suicidal
Mar 29, 2020
I'd be less suicidal with universal basic income and living as a NEET.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Élégie, finalexit, aneurysm and 7 others
Nexey

Nexey

Student
Feb 18, 2021
Corporate. It's not that I care about the ~social status~. I just want to get paid a ridiculous amount of money for sitting around and doing practically nothing. I've already done hard labor and it is NOT fun. Literally back-breacking work. It doesn't help that your older co-workers will expect to you do their heavy lifting, thinking that your younger body can handle it (spoiler: it can't). God forbid you have any invisible disabilities.

Reactions: Keto, aneurysm, Lostandlooking and 2 others
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
I work in customer service. 8 hour shifts, no overtime, it's not hard, no significant responsabilities, no chance for promotion. I love it.
Never had aspirations for a career. I just don't care. Give me my money and my free time and go have your ambitions.
But to answer the question, corporate for sure. I worked labor and, while I enjoyed it in the sense that it's so exausting I didn't have the energy even to be depressed, it's not sustainable in the long run.

• Love
Reactions: Keto, Callie Arcale, Midgardsorm and 1 other person
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
it's not sustainable in the long run.
If you go hardcore minimalism, maybe even not pay any rent for a while, then you could retire at 30/40 or something, depending on markets and shit. Otherwise it's just protein, veg, rest, low stress, genetics, mindset, communication, leverage in marketplace, likeability, knowledge, skill and keeping up with the gym.

Last edited:
T

TooLate2582

Experienced
May 6, 2018
I worked blue collar labor for years. I was much happier now than my current profession. So much so, that I routinely do side work that is labor. Ppl don't understand that it is one of the few things that give me any positivity.

Reactions: aneurysm and GenesAndEnvironment
Hirokami

Hirokami

Out of order
Feb 21, 2021
There's something about working in a cubicle and forcing small talk with a bunch of blue pills that causes my skin to crawl. As for labor, at least I get the chance to become more fit but then people would look down on me even more. Not to mention, I have a bad back, so that'd be impossible for me. I guess I'd choose neither. This isn't to say I don't want to work but I want to do something I'd actually enjoy without being forced to socialize with people, talking about things I don't care about.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: aneurysm, EmbraceOfTheVoid, Ame and 1 other person
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Even turning the key in my outer door lock is an athletic challenge for me. I don't think signing up for hard labor would be a good idea.

• Yay!
Reactions: Keto, Skathon, 262653 and 4 others
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
Labor. In these types of jobs there is no BS. Either do it or fired. No diversity training , no corporate slogans and BS , etc.

Reactions: Keto and aneurysm
LakatosDiogenesz

LakatosDiogenesz

I can tie a noose with my eyes closed
Nov 21, 2020
I've had both and hard labor was definitely much more fun and fulfilling.
Only downside is the low wage and the toll it takes on your body (always protect your spine fellas!), but if you're not planning to live very long it doesn't matter anyway.

Reactions: aneurysm
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I hate both so, I've picked neither.
I was born to be a "freelancer" and my own boss.
I just teach English to the amount of students I want and then laze around.
Sure, the amount of money is not the best but I'm happy with my "salary". My work is certainly not a reason to ctb.

Last edited:
Reactions: UseItOrLoseIt, 262653, Hirokami and 2 others
Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
Considering I am mentally and physically ill, I would not be able to hold down a job which required strenuous labor. So office life is all there is, or was or every will be for me. Just like Carl Sagan's cosmos :P

But I must add that I have been ill and basically suicidal all my life, so my work is not really a factor.

• Hugs
Reactions: aneurysm and UseItOrLoseIt
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
If you go hardcore minimalism, maybe even not pay any rent for a while, then you could retire at 30/40 or something, depending on markets and shit. Otherwise it's just protein, veg, rest, low stress, genetics, mindset, communication, leverage in marketplace, likeability, knowledge, skill and keeping up with the gym.
So, just that? Sound like a breeze :ahhha:

Hypothetically, it could work, sure. If the whole universe conspired to make you into the luckiest superhuman. I know a lot of manual laborers, and none of them retired at 30 or 40. A lot of them broke their bodies though. This lifestyle is not for everyone, even if the mindset is right.

And what did you mean by "keeping up with the gym"? Really? After 8 hours of laying bricks gym becomes redundant.

Reactions: 262653
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
And what did you mean by "keeping up with the gym"? Really? After 8 hours of laying bricks gym becomes redundant.
No, you have to be way stronger than what the work requires so that it's child's play when you lift shit at work. That way you don't get injured.

Reactions: UseItOrLoseIt
aneurysm

aneurysm

Mage
Jan 27, 2019
I wish I could just be a nanny for the super rich and earn 100k a year while traveling.

but my favorite thing in life is studying and researching.

Like, I like absorbing knowledge and researching stuff, but I don't like producing.

I need to find a job that :

1. pays over 100k
2. allow me to study/research 80% of the time

consulting is a good option but it's too overwhelming. The pressure is too high. I like it but I always feel like I'm one day away from a disaster. Like, a single error in my thinking process and that's it.

Reactions: Keto
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
I wish I could just be a nanny for the super rich and earn 100k a year while traveling.

Like, I like absorbing knowledge and researching stuff, but I don't like producing.

1. pays over 100k

consulting is a good option but it's too overwhelming. The pressure is too high. I like it but I always feel like I'm one day away from a disaster. Like, a single error in my thinking process and that's it.
Researching is mostly a cushy job. Especially in soft sciences. I've recently visited an acquaintance who is a doctoral student and she was comfying around at the university staff lounge in fuzzy slippers.

The pay is crap though, compared to what you could get with the same merits in the corporate sector.

UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
No, you have to be way stronger than what the work requires so that it's child's play when you lift shit at work. That way you don't get injured.
Makes sense. I don't know if it's managable though. I mean, when would you rest then? It's confusing.
But what would I know. The only organized thing in my life are my bowel movements, and it's not even up to me.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: coppervomit and GenesAndEnvironment
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Makes sense. I don't know if it's managable though. I mean, when would you rest then?
Optimal sleep and with the other factors you will be able to stay out of excessive physical workloads. Calling in sick is also always an option...

ashedout

ashedout

Jan 22, 2021
I work a corporate job and it's hell - but that's directly related to where I work. In another life, I would have made better decisions and hopefully ended up in a different position but who knows. I'm not sure I'm cut out for a labour job either though.

I've been suicidal since I was a kid so work isn't 100000% related to my head space. I respect either corporate or labour job people. What someone does isn't always all they are so if they are worthy of respect then I'm happy to give it to them

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Also, your likeability and leverage are inversely proportional to this.
Likeability? Barely affected unless you go overboard or are a terrible liar. Leverage comes from being able to walk away (new job or even ctb) and working in an understaffed field.

Reactions: Makko
Spiral

Spiral

Experienced
Jan 22, 2021

1. pays over 100k

Sounds like you need to be an archivist, you get to study and research loads, mostly get left in peace to organise info and catalogue relics or files or old books and if you bag a job as head archivist for government or a top museum you can get a chunky salary :p
I would deffo pick a labour job, I like to work with my hands and do something real, I would not survive being stuck in a cubicle or staring at a screen and the sound of phones ringing makes me want to scream lol, to my ears it's worse than nails scraping on a chalk board. Give me a pile of logs to move and I'm happy xD

Last edited:
aneurysm

aneurysm

Mage
Jan 27, 2019
Sounds like you need to be an archivist
this is basically my dream job ;-; I didn't mention it because I can't even imagine it happening, it'd be too immense :') maybe you mentioning it is a sign that I should at least try

• Hugs
Reactions: Ame
Spiral

Spiral

Experienced
Jan 22, 2021
this is basically my dream job ;-; I didn't mention it because I can't even imagine it happening, it'd be too immense :') maybe you mentioning it is a sign that I should at least try
It's deffo a sign :D of course you should try xD

• Yay!
Reactions: aneurysm
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
Likeability? Barely affected unless you go overboard or are a terrible liar. Leverage comes from being able to walk away (new job or even ctb) and working in an understaffed field.
You do realize that you defined this scenario that you pressupossed as "hardcore", but you approach it as if it's completely controlled. You mentioned like 10 variables that could affect the outcome, but you don't treat them as variables. I respect your vision and determination, I really do, but to reach an outcome you must put things in motion. And your idea is not just letting things develop by themselves in a natural tempo. "Hardcore" means you apply force, you speed up things, you stretch the variables, so to speak. By doing this you are giving up some of your control. And in this sense "hardcore minimalism" sounds almost like an oxymoron. The more you force things, the more complications will arise, and the less minimalist will your minimalism become.

P.s. Sorry for the long time between replies. I'm at work, stretching the variables myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
You do realize that you defined this scenario that you pressupossed as "hardcore", but you approach it as if it's completely controlled. You mentioned like 10 variables that could affect the outcome, but you don't treat them as variables. I respect your vision and determination, I really do, but to reach an outcome you must put things in motion. And your idea is not just letting things develop by themselves in a natural tempo. "Hardcore" means you apply force, you speed up things, you stretch the variables, so to speak. By doing this you are giving up some of your control. And in this sense "hardcore minimalism" sounds almost like an oxymoron. The more you force things, the more complications will arise, and the less minimalist will your minimalism become.

P.s. Sorry for the long time between replies. I'm at work, stretching the variables myself.
I think you might have misunderstood the post since I can't really connect any of this to what I said. Or I'm just extra stupid today, lol.

shy

shy

Student
Aug 23, 2020
Being a craftsman could be exciting. I'm thinking niche woodworking, like custom furniture or restorative work on old sailboats and stuff like that. Idk there's some romanticism about honing ones craft and perfecting it.

In reality I'm just hoping that UBI is a thing once I'm done with school.

UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
I think you might have misunderstood the post since I can't really connect any of this to what I said. Or I'm just extra stupid today, lol.
Wasn't refering to one particular post, but all of them. I could have just said "your plan sounds hard" or "good luck with executing that theory", but that's just not my style, obviously :ahhha:

Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Wasn't refering to one particular post, but all of them. I could have just said "your plan sounds hard" or "good luck with executing that theory", but that's just not my style, obviously :ahhha:
I don't really care if one of my plans fail, I have nothing that I want out of life and the other option is to be a NEET. Just trying to pass the time until I'm staring at an inevitable dystopia and can catch the bus.

• Hugs