nigelhernandez

nigelhernandez

Experienced
Apr 14, 2020
As a fully black person, I don't think so. I think him being biracial was a bridge between white and black America and being fully black/or looking fully black would have meant many Americans would feel alienated.

I know that in America because of the 'one drop rule', a biracial person is considered black even if they look white but I still think it's disingenuous to call him black as his background was not typical of Black Americans. Though he grew up being raised by a single mother, he stayed with his grandparents who were well off far from the typical life of an African American family. He was raised in a white culture. And again, he also has 'color privilege' in the sense that he's not too dark skinned and studies have shown that lighter skinned blacks are treated better by White Americans as well as black Americans.

Reactions: Coolchicka, Cowtipper and Lupgevif
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'm still kind of amazed he even got elected with the middle name 'Hussein'.

All that stuff you said makes sense though and yeah, it's very likely he would not have been elected if he were fully black. I almost wonder if this means the only way to get a woman President for now is for them to still be half male? How does that actually work?...:O

• Wow
Reactions: Coolchicka, Brick In The Wall, Lupgevif and 1 other person
mooncake

mooncake

Student
Aug 7, 2020
Please don't take this as an attack.

Being black is a lot more than just having african ancestry. The term black doesn't only refer to a race or a shade, but to a shared history of oppression and diaspora. Black is also used as a term to express an identity/belonging to a specific community/culture. This is especially true in the american context since there is some much physical variation in the black community, due to their history.

For many (me included) the Black identity includes experiences (institutional) racism, or being treated differently from white people. Biracial black people are almost never considered to be white, because of pur African features, but despite our european features. In most cases we experience black oppression, but not white privilege.
So, I'd say he is half Kenyan, but he is fully Black. And as far as I remember he identifies himself as black aswell

I don't think think having a white mother, changed that much about how he is seen as a black man. Before he ran for president the first time, most people probably assumed he was a light skinned Black man without a biracial background. We also shouldn't forget how many people still believe that he full Kenyan, born in Kenya haha

I personally don't see why he would be a bridge between black and white either. Do you have an example for what you mean?

If your argument was, that he might not have been elected if he was darker, then I'd probably agree with you.
I'm still kind of amazed he even got elected with the middle name 'Hussein'.

Haha i just heard disgruntled a middle-aged american guy with a thick southern accent say "Barack HUSSEIN Obama" in my head. Emphasis on "HUSSEIN" :pfff:

I almost wonder if this means the only way to get a woman President for now is for them to still be half male? How does that actually work?...:O

Weeeell if Joe Biden were to win the next election, and something happened during his presidency, where he couldn't serve any more, Kamala Harris would become the first (black) woman president of the USA...but thats kind of far fetched lol

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: BitterlyAlive, Lupgevif and Dr Iron Arc
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
Yes.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, mediocre, Dystopic_Momento and 2 others
F

fox21132113

Student
Sep 8, 2020
Please don't take this as an attack.

Being black is a lot more than just having african ancestry. The term black doesn't only refer to a race or a shade, but to a shared history of oppression and diaspora. Black is also used as a term to express an identity/belonging to a specific community/culture. This is especially true in the american context since there is some much physical variation in the black community, due to their history.

For many (me included) the Black identity includes experiences (institutional) racism, or being treated differently from white people. Biracial black people are almost never considered to be white, because of pur African features, but despite our european features. In most cases we experience black oppression, but not white privilege.
So, I'd say he is half Kenyan, but he is fully Black. And as far as I remember he identifies himself as black aswell

I don't think think having a white mother, changed that much about how he is seen as a black man. Before he ran for president the first time, most people probably assumed he was a light skinned Black man without a biracial background. We also shouldn't forget how many people still believe that he full Kenyan, born in Kenya haha

I personally don't see why he would be a bridge between black and white either. Do you have an example for what you mean?

If your argument was, that he might not have been elected if he was darker, then I'd probably agree with you.

Haha i just heard disgruntled a middle-aged american guy with a thick southern accent say "Barack HUSSEIN Obama" in my head. Emphasis on "HUSSEIN" :pfff:

Weeeell if Joe Biden were to win the next election, and something happened during his presidency, where he couldn't serve any more, Kamala Harris would become the first (black) woman president of the USA...but thats kind of far fetched lol
So I'm kind of anticipating Kamala will be president during his presidency. I am assuming he will have two terms, but due to health problems, he might not live that long, he would be 85! So I kind of would like Kamala to slip right in there :)

mooncake

mooncake

Student
Aug 7, 2020
So I'm kind of anticipating Kamala will be president during his presidency. I am assuming he will have two terms, but due to health problems, he might not live that long, he would be 85! So I kind of would like Kamala to slip right in there :)

Oh I he doesn't get two terms. Anyone is better than trump but im sure america can do better than biden haha.

So yeah, Kamala would be interesting, although I wouldn't wish death on joe haha

F

fox21132113

Student
Sep 8, 2020
I'm just thinking of his natural death. It's hard to see what another presidential hopefully would look like in four years. A speech maker or a social media writer? I agree, we just got dealt a pair we want to fold on

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you šŸ•Æļø Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
(disclaimer Canadian) hes not fully black?? (idc i just didnt know)