C

cm2020

Mar 22, 2021
Hello all!

I was wondering if any people on here would be interested in getting a bit political about our mental health issues? Or, at least for me, I categorize them that way. Personally, I feel that societal prohibitions on suicide are fairly unambiguously ableist. I mean, they are premised on the notion that people with suicide ideation are *intrinsically* unwell and also have their ability to control their own destiny revoked on tenuous allegations that they are impulsive and unable to make decisions for themselves. In other words, people who have been suffering for decades with mental health problems that are, statisically-speaking, unlikely to improve, are either forced by society to continue to suffer or forced to die under horrific circumstances.

I can't help but feel that, by taking advantage of America's slightly libertarian leanings, we could get a similar arrangement that exists in the Netherlands and Belgium, where psychiatric euthansia is permitted and with significantly less controversy than might be expected. Obviously, this could be extended to other countries where medical aid in dying (or MAID) is not currently extended to patients suffering from a psychiatric illness.

What do you think?

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: fly away, ithappens, NeverReallyHere and 6 others
it's_all_a_game

it's_all_a_game

I remember...death in the afternoon...
Nov 7, 2020
I was JUST thinking about this today, haha. Imagine something like the 60's civil rights marches but for the right to die! I doubt the world is ready though. Maybe in 2075 or so.

• Love
Reactions: cm2020 and Fthis
lifesucksiguess

lifesucksiguess

May 12, 2021
America is also deeply religious. In my opinion, we'd have a better chance in court systems, but who will take up the case? Montana has provisions so you can die enacted by their state supreme court.

I've always felt like advocating for the right to die was my only calling. It feels like such a basic right that is being denied all over the globe. But I have no hope that I can accomplish anything and would rather just die sooner rather than later.

• Love
Reactions: cm2020
Whale_bones

Whale_bones

Experienced
Feb 11, 2020
I am very passionate about the right to die; I believe it is a human right to choose what happens to your own body, and I believe that countries like America could easily put in place the proper rules and regulations to ensure that the correct people get access to the right to die. There would have to be medical screenings and waiting times, that would be neccesary to ensure that the significant amount of people who get impulsively suicidal from mental illness which *can* get better with treatment don't use this system, but for anyone who has made a thoughtful, rational choice to end their lives, access to a humane and dignified death could be available.

However, in America, that's just not realistic at this point in time. There's a huge portion of the country that thinks rationally, and there's a huge portion that doesn't. We are constantly struggling to gain and keep legal rights for things that are clearly basic human rights, and there's massive political power that uses religion to deny these rights and claim others are less worthy than them. That type of religious fundamentalism is extremely against individual choice, and they're extremely against the right to die; even when the person is suffering from obvious physical problems. When they don't acknowledge a human being's right to have control over their own life, they'll never acknowledge the right for all to have control over their own death.

I so, so greatly hope that this changes someday and that individual freedom will be recognized and respected, but I don't think that will happen for many years in countries that have religious fundamentalism significantly affecting their politics.

• Love
Reactions: ihatemylife, ithappens, cm2020 and 1 other person
Zzzzz

Zzzzz

Nothing compares to the bliss of death.
Aug 8, 2018
If I live long enough I might be more active in this way. I'd rather die today but still feel strongly about the right to die. I think adults with no dependents should have the right to a humane death at any time for any reason, as long as that is what they truly want and feel is best for themselves. Anything less than this is unkind. If 18 year olds have the right to join the army , and go die and kill people in wars, then they should have the right to the end of their suffering if they choose.

• Love
Reactions: Whale_bones, cm2020 and demuic