Would this method work?

• Total voters
Mikulal1995

Mikulal1995

A bipolar, depressive mess.
Jul 15, 2018
As I've mentioned before on this forum, I have bipolar disorder, type I (the worst kind). In order to treat my mental illness I take lithium (mood stabilizer), quetiapine (antipsychotic), and diazepam (Valium, benzodiazepine).

I've thought of not taking these meds anymore and start hoarding them for my potential exit. I envision my exit as a romantic getaway with myself, my favorite books, a few movies in a nice hotel, and by the time I'm done overdose on all three of these drugs.

The only thing I worry about is my body trying to save itself by making me throw up, so I would need anti-emetics as well.

Would this combination of drugs do it?

Reactions: lv-gras and Tiburcio
Vincent Moraes

Vincent Moraes

Jul 20, 2018
As I've mentioned before on this forum, I have bipolar disorder, type I (the worst kind). In order to treat my mental illness I take lithium (mood stabilizer), quetiapine (antipsychotic), and diazepam (Valium, benzodiazepine).

I've thought of not taking these meds anymore and start hoarding them for my potential exit. I envision my exit as a romantic getaway with myself, my favorite books, a few movies in a nice hotel, and by the time I'm done overdose on all three of these drugs.

The only thing I worry about is my body trying to save itself by making me throw up, so I would need anti-emetics as well.

I strongly believe the answer is no. I am a bipolar type I too, and I take something similar to you. I think those meds can not kill you, but they might hurt you bad. An overdose on lithium will probably dehydrate you very strongly. Diazepam can't kill, someday you will wake up, and I have never heard of a death by antipsychotics.

Bipolars are very prone to be suicidal, so they care about not giving us anything that might actually kill. If you get depressed, you will never get a prescription for tricyclic antidepressants, because those are killer when overdosed.

I advise you strongly not to try an overdose without knowing for sure if it has the potential of actually killing you, because the consequences might be tough, and you will probably end up in a psych ward for some time.

Reactions: agreement, Strumgewehr and skitliv
Mikulal1995

Mikulal1995

Jul 15, 2018
I strongly believe the answer is no. I am a bipolar type I too, and I take something similar to you. I think those meds can not kill you, but they might hurt you bad. An overdose on lithium will probably dehydrate you very strongly. Diazepam can't kill, someday you will wake up, and I have never heard of a death by antipsychotics.

Bipolars are very prone to be suicidal, so they care about not giving us anything that might actually kill. If you get depressed, you will never get a prescription for tricyclic antidepressants, because those are killer when overdosed.

I advise you strongly not to try an overdose without knowing for sure if it has the potential of actually killing you, because the consequences might be tough, and you will probably end up in a psych ward for some time.

You're right. We are one of the most prone-to-suicide populations, and doctors are cowards so they'll take whatever precaution is necessary to keep the patient alive. Not because they care about him, but because of the legal implications. A lot of the literature I've been reading on lithium overdoses is quite old, back when regular dosages were much larger.

The last thing I need is to be sent to the psych ward again. That place did more damage than I could possibly explain.

I need a better method. I can't buy a firearm because when I was hospitalized they coerced me into signing a document to make me ineligible.

Reactions: lv-gras and agreement
D

dog3000

Jul 8, 2018
by overdosing on quetiapine or any other antipsychotic you can get Tardive Dyskenisia - a permanent movement disorder.

Reactions: lv-gras and Mikulal1995
Vincent Moraes

Vincent Moraes

Jul 20, 2018
Where are you from? Availability of a method depends on where you are.

Mikulal1995

Mikulal1995

Jul 15, 2018
by overdosing on quetiapine or any other antipsychotic you can get Tardive Dyskenisia - a permanent movement disorder.

Holy shit. I would not want to end up like that. Would be even harder to see my plan through.

C

comfortablydumb

Student
Jun 19, 2018

Good luck with your exit being as you envisioned. You're envisioning it while on your meds, and planning to go through with it after having been off your meds for a while. Obviously, that's not going to play out according to plan. I mean, this is a pretty glaring fault in the plan, isn't it?

Also, of course, as others point out, overdosing on your meds is unlikely to kill you, but could leave you disabled.

You're right. We are one of the most prone-to-suicide populations, and doctors are cowards so they'll take whatever precaution is necessary to keep the patient alive. Not because they care about him, but because of the legal implications. A lot of the literature I've been reading on lithium overdoses is quite old, back when regular dosages were much larger.

The last thing I need is to be sent to the psych ward again. That place did more damage than I could possibly explain.

I need a better method. I can't buy a firearm because when I was hospitalized they coerced me into signing a document to make me ineligible.

It's quite tedious to read all of the bombastic, incorrect statements about "doctors" and "psychiatry" on here.

People with bipolar I seem to be amongst those at highest risk for suicide, yes. Along with people who have borderline personality disorder, who are also heavily represented on this forum.

Anyway, no - doctors are not cowards. Doctors are people. Some people are cowards, so some doctors are cowards. Some doctors are good at giving care, some doctors are not good at giving care. And no, there are no legal implications for a doctor if a patient kills himself. That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.

I know someone with bipolar I, and her doctor prescribes her lower doses of her meds because he says it's better for her to be "a little bit crazy". She was originally on higher doses and was miserable. They found the sweet spot, and now she's thriving.

She was sent to the psych ward, and as a bystander that was a good thing because she had gone completely insane and was destroying her life. She has mixed feelings about her stay/experience, but she is glad that she got back to a balance and she realizes that she was psychotic when she went in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chocoholic88 and Tiburcio
Mikulal1995

Mikulal1995

Jul 15, 2018
Good luck with your exit being as you envisioned. Your envisioning it while on your meds, and planning to go through with it after having been off your meds for a while. Obviously, that's not going to play out according to plan. I mean, this is a pretty glaring fault in the plan, isn't it?

Also, of course, as others point out, overdosing on your meds is unlikely to kill you, but could leave you disabled.

It's quite tedious to read all of the bombastic, incorrect statements about "doctors" and "psychiatry" on here.

People with bipolar I seem to be amongst those at highest risk for suicide, yes. Along with people who have borderline personality disorder, who are also heavily represented on this forum.

Anyway, no - doctors are not cowards. Doctors are people. Some people are cowards, so some doctors are cowards. Some doctors are good at giving care, some doctors are not good at giving care. And no, there are no legal implications for a doctor if a patient kills himself. That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.

I know someone with bipolar I, and her doctor prescribes her lower doses of her meds because he says it's better for her to be "a little bit crazy". She was originally on higher doses and was miserable. They found the sweet spot, and now she's thriving.

She was sent to the psych ward, and as a bystander that was a good thing because she had gone completely insane and was destroying her life. She has mixed feelings about her stay/experience, but she is glad that she got back to a balance and she realizes that she was psychotic when she went in.

I'm glad you laid down things as they are.

Now I'm contemplating hanging. I'm not sure I care about the pain anymore, I just want to go...

Reactions: lv-gras and Tiburcio
BurningLights

BurningLights

He killed himself with his own mind
Jul 2, 2018
I've said it before that overdoing benzos is a bad idea, you will black out and not know what your doing, seen another post where this happened and it also happened to me, once you black out you will go and do stupid things, and come to a day or to later battered and bruised or In the hospital.

Reactions: lv-gras