GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
There's always tension between generations. The younger generation rejects the rules and mores of the older generation, which tend toward obsolescence yet hold on with stubborn tenacity, but they don't yet have the power to make cultural changes that reflect their ethics, such as job longevity, growing into leadership positions, etc. So the generations just glare at each other, point fingers, and judge each other lacking and irrelevant.

An example that comes to mind are the free-love hippy generation of the Sixties, who eventually had to join the same slow drudge they'd rejected, because they had kids, needed to make money, needed to survive in a world that didn't change for them. They were not only high on drugs, but on ideals, and ideals didn't change the world like they'd hoped.

A fault of older generations is often to reject the younger, treat them as stupid, inexperienced and inept, and shut their ears to their ideals, but what they themselves lack is understanding of an experience vastly different from the one of their own younger years. Non-participation does not equal irrelevance.

Although I don't feel old, I am finally at an age where I sense a strong gap between my lived experience and that of Milennials, and how we live in the same world but experience it differently (edit: it seems I actually mostly mean Generation Z as well as the youngest Milennials, I'm so old I missed the new terminology. Post has been edited to reflect the change). Our foundational experiences were so utterly different, I think perhaps even more so than between other generations due to the rapid advances in technology. In my generation, it was an anomaly for someone to have a computer in their home, there was no Internet, we had VCRs instead of instant downloads, the coolest kids had Atari and then Nintendo, and we played the games alone or sitting next to one another. We had mean people in school, and there were bullies, but bullying was not a wide-spread cultural phenomenon, even tabloids were less mean. But with the introduction and increasing popularity of social media, even the Gen Xers and older generations jumped on the bullying bandwagon because ganging up on people, judging, and shaming can feel damn good, especially when no one knows for sure who you are and they can't see you being shitty. I think there's less self-restraint in society in general, because before, folks didn't do shitty things when someone was looking, but now everyone does shitty things, so why hold back? And of course with the increase of information availabiliity, along with the pendulum swing against bullying, piled on top of the anti-establishment sentiments of the sixties, it seems to me that, as a collective culture, we bully even more, now with a seemingly increased sentiment of being morally superior.

There's a tension on SS that I'm trying to understand between older members like me, generally Generation Xers, a few older than that, and those in the Gen Z/late Milennial generation. I catch myself sometimes getting that negating, old-fogey attitude of, "If you have a question, why don't you look it up?" But I know I feel that way because there's something I don't understand. It's easy to sit in a place of falsely entitled judgment and say, "You folks grew up with the Internet. Any question you had, you could look it up, and there was plenty your parents didn't want you to know, so you all were good at finding information, both hidden and readily available. So why do you ask the simplest questions when the information is often already out there or right here on the forum?" What is it that I'm not seeing about the Gen Z/ late Milennial experience that an old fogey doesn't understand? I don't want to be a judgmental dick, I don't want to be someone's info gopher, and maybe it would be better to just let younger folks answer younger folks, but then they are marginalized and I am marginalized, and that's not a community; someone loses out on support, and someone loses out on feeling supportive.

So here's my thesis, but I could be way off. Because of forums and chats and discords, is there a tendency to just ask each other everything since you're all connected anyway, and someone may already know the answer? Was looking up information that adults didn't want you to know a skill that was developed only for when rebellion was needed, and not used when among your own generation because someone had probably already looked up the forbidden and it was safe to ask since you generally shared the same values and goals?

What do you think, Gen Zers and late Milennials? Am I getting it all wrong? And do you find value from interacting with a wide variety of folks regardless of generation, or do you roll your eyes and wish we'd just let you talk amongst yourselves?

Before commenting, please note that the purpose of this thread is to open dialogue that encourages understanding, mutual respect, and acceptance. No one is wrong here, regardless of generation, so please be civil, refrain from saying something that diminishes another such as telling them about themselves rather than asking, and be aware when you're wanting to come out swinging. This caveat is as much for me as for anyone else. I hope for the best and we'll see what happens.

If you read this post, thanks for reading. If you respond, thanks for responding.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: gtrfvr, Epsilon0, 262653 and 6 others
RileyTanaka

RileyTanaka

ill / failure
Mar 20, 2020
This is an interesting topic but I think your core question is getting lost in the mire. I think your basic question is why millenials don't look things up for themselves? I'd be interested to know what observations you've made on SS that lead you to believe this? Please correct me if I got the basic question wrong.

I think age is not the best way to understand the characteristics of people here, as it's only one dimension of the social strata in the userbase. Yes, there is a preponderance of young people here who are suicidal, but we are also in a space where people are struggling primarily with mental health issues, which can severely impact functionality, cognition, memory. What seems like a simple task to some (going to google and reading a full article on a topic) may be exhausting and difficult to someone who is fighting a depressive inertia. Just a penny of a thought.

I'm at the tail end of "millennial" since I'm in my 30's, but I have also noticed a tendency for older people to assume millenials are lazy and unmotivated. As such, I have a tendency to view the baby boomers as being blithely unaware/dismissive of how economic and social conditions have shifted so much in the last 50 years that surviving, being productive, and functioning in society is an entirely different battle now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 1496, FusRohDracarys and Mrs.O'Leary'sCow
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
This is an interesting topic but I think your core question is getting lost in the mire. I think your basic question is why millenials don't look things up for themselves? What an interesting assumption; I'd be interested to know what observations you've made on SS that lead you to believe this? Please correct me if I got the basic question wrong.

I think age is not the best way to understand the characteristics of people who are on this forum, as it's only one dimension of the social strata in the userbase. Yes, there is a preponderance of young people here who are suicidal, but we are also in a space where people are struggling primarily with mental health issues, which can really impact your functionality, cognition, memory. What seems like a simple task to some may be exhausting and difficult to someone who is fighting a depressive inertia. Just a penny of a thought.

Nope, it didn't get lost, you found it, or something along those lines.

I've observed a lot of both overt and subtle frustration on the forum since I joined about people asking questions without using site tools. It is not always younger folks who do so, and it is not always older folks who get frustrated, but in my observation that seems to be the general trend of tension about it, and I also experience it from a generational perspective. In talking about this, I now understand something more about myself, that even more than I've realized, I view things from the limitations of a personal perspective, perhaps even more so than just a generational framework.

I agree very much with your second paragraph, and keep striving to remind myself of that.

Still, there are generational tensions here, it is not the first post observing disparities in age and all that comes with them, so even as I take in your valuable observations, I am still curious as to how Milennials perceive us older members here. I notice the younger folks occasionally take some hits -- sometimes with zero intention to negate, even with intentions to understand just as I'm trying to do here -- but I haven't noticed that they get asked: Hey, what do you think about those of us on the other side of the gap? What's your perspective on things? If you're being viewed incorrectly, would you help to correct that view?

EDIT: It was a personal essay-type post. It's how I process things. But I just realized that talking about tensions can heighten tension, no matter the underlying intentions for bringing them up. Also, not everyone reads things as a writer intends, even if they express it perfectly (which I didn't), the text is different for everyone who reads it. So, if I observe this thread gets tense in the comments and the discussion is more destructive than productive, or if I've been really misunderstood because of how I inadequately expressed what is based on feelings I'm grappling with, then I'll just delete the thread. It's no biggie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brackenshire
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
It's hard to decipher age to be honest when not everyone has it on their profile. It's just sort of making assumptions towards age based on postings. I'd say, it's more a case of people in general no using the search function.

Iamnotperminant92

Iamnotperminant92

Alien visitor
May 4, 2020
I don't think it starts and stops with millennials versus prior generations anymore as there are millennials getting up into the middle years. I've noticed there's a bit of a gap between millennials and the older Gen Z. As a millennial it's fairly easier to look at 'younger' online platforms and subcultures somewhat critically.

Reactions: RileyTanaka
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
I am still curious as to how Milennials perceive us older members here

Until I read this thread, I assumed you were about my age or only slightly older – albeit more composed and considerate than me in your posting-behaviour; that is to say you seem to think before you post, which could be a quality that comes naturally with maturity (and education).

Picking out younger members is easier than picking out older members, probably by a multitude of clues, their profile pictures, the terminology they use, impulsiveness vs. composure.

To answer your question: I percieve them as having potentially valuable experience and wisdom to impart on the younger members, especially if they have lived with depression and/ or suicidal thoughts for decades. Maybe we could make better use of this potential.

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
SpareWheel

SpareWheel

I go on holidays by mistake
May 4, 2020
All generations think theirs were better, smarter, more well informed - especially mine (gen x).

I knew when I'd finally become 'old' when I started saying things my Mother used to, or my Grandad. Or not knowing who anybody was on a supposed celebrity show.

For what it's worth, if I could choose to be in any that are still around, I'd go boomer gen, they grew up during a simpler time, with better music and all the best drugs, no social media poisoning developing minds, they could walk into and out of jobs, houses were affordable etc etc. I came along when Thatcherism was in full swing, industries were being torn apart, massive strikes were happening, unscrupulous bastards were buying up all the housing to let out at twice the going rate, and worst of all the Grease soundtrack was number 1.

That rant alone gave away my gen, if I hadn't mentioned it.

Also, I'd absolutely hate to be in the generation below, I feel nothing but pity for them in how previous gens have made such a mess of their world, I'd not want to grow up now for all the money in the world. Poor buggers have to work twice as hard to achieve half as much.

• Love
Reactions: Iamnotperminant92, RileyTanaka and GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
I find myself relating more to millennials than Gen Z. Maybe you meant Gen Z.

also, I wanted to ask, what do you think of older users on SS that seem years younger mentally than their age? How do you feel about those Gen X'ers?

Maybe I did mean Gen Z. I didn't realize they were of age yet. (Edit: I edited the post to reflect that, it is indeed Gen Z for the most part. Thank you.)

As far as your other questions, it's not something I'm thinking about, but I'll decline to ponder and answer because it's not the topic of the thread. Cool?

Last edited:
Lorntroubles

Lorntroubles

Photography by Haris Nukem.
Jan 19, 2020
@GoodPersonEffed only making conversation for a dialogue about the different aspects but okay, miss, as you wish.

• Hugs
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
I am still curious as to how Milennials perceive us older members here

Until I read this thread, I assumed you were about my age or only slightly older – albeit more composed and considerate than me in your posting-behaviour; that is to say you seem to think before you post, which could be a quality that comes naturally with maturity (and education).

Picking out younger members is easier than picking out older members, probably by a multitude of clues, their profile pictures, the terminology they use, impulsiveness vs. composure.

To answer your question: I percieve them as having potentially valuable experience and wisdom to impart on the younger members, especially if they have lived with depression and/ or suicidal thoughts for decades. Maybe we could make better use of this potential.

I made a mistake, I meant Gen Z.

a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
@SpareWheel as much as I agree with your assesment that the boomer generation (my parents) had it easier – they often seem naive to me, and for that I don't envy them. The cynicism of my generation must be in part due to the wealth of information we were exposed to about the state of the world; that, and seing our parents, who saw great improvements in their standard of living still being miserable cunts make for a perfect recipe for disillusionment. – and we shouldn't forget that many boomer parents, certainly with good intentions, brought up their kids with notions like "you have it so much better than we did", "you can achieve anything you want", "you have so many possibilities" etc.

Several historical, cultural and technological changes seem to have coalesced into making a generation of highly cynical, self-ironical defeatists.
I made a mistake, I meant Gen Z.
What is Gen Z ? Can we use current ages? birth dates?

I was born in '95 – would that be considered a (late?) Millenial?

Last edited:
Reactions: SpareWheel and GoodPersonEffed
F

FusRohDracarys

But what do I know
Mar 31, 2020
I think there's less self-restraint in society in general, because before, folks didn't do shitty things when someone was looking, but now everyone does shitty things, so why hold back?
I'm neither here nor there on that statement, but something I'd point out from my own observations is that we live in the height of political correctness. I, personally, live in a very PC area. There's something about being told what you "should" say or do or think that makes you want to rebel against it. There's something edgy and exciting about pushing boundaries, whether or not you agree with the boundary to begin with. And then there also comes a point where you push boundaries often enough, even if just in jest, that you normalize it.

"So why do you ask the simplest questions when the information is often already out there or right here on the forum?" ...Because of forums and chats and discords, is there a tendency to just ask each other everything since you're all connected anyway, and someone may already know the answer?
I don't think I've been one of the folks who has done that here, but thinking to other sites or times I've done that, here's my thoughts:
  • Wanting the most current information
  • Wanting information given specific variables
  • Wanting people's subjective input alongside the facts
I do think you're partially correct with asking each other since someone already knows. If I'm in a room with friends and I have my phone, I'll ask my question to the room before I look things up. It's slightly different when you're not actually physically close to people, since it would indeed be faster to look it up, but I think it's kind of the same logic applied where technology just changes how we connect.

And I will also add that I've had a slightly negative experience with the search function. It has been buggy sometimes and it was pretty difficult for me to find the SS search function on my phone. It was easier to find the post new thread function instead, and I do use my phone for about half of my SS usage.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
@a.n.kirillov, good idea to clarify with birth dates. I edited the post but didn't put dates, here they are:

Milennials 1981-1996

Gen Z 1997-2012

SpareWheel

SpareWheel

May 4, 2020
@SpareWheel as much as I agree with your assesment that the boomer generation (my parents) had it easier – they often seem naive to me, and for that I don't envy them. The cynicism of my generation must be in part due to the wealth of information we were exposed to about the state of the world; that, and seing our parents, who saw great improvements in their standard of living still being miserable cunts make for a perfect recipe for disillusionment. – and we shouldn't forget that many boomer parents, certainly with good intentions, brought up their kids with notions like "you have it so much better than we did", "you can achieve anything you want", "you have so many possibilities" etc.

Several historical, cultural and technological changes seem to have coalesced to make a generation of highly cynical, self-ironical defeatists.

What is Gen Z ? Can we use current ages? birth dates?

I'm born in '95 – so I would be considered a (late?) Millenial?

That naivete likely stemmed from being of the generation where life was simpler, although I'm not sure I believe all the stories about being able to leave your door unlocked at night etc - I tend to think they do have a lot of nostalgic bias but I agree with your point, they certainly put a lot of pressure on my generation believing we had more opportunities than any generation before. We had access to a better education for sure, just a lot less jobs to come out to when finished. A lot of graduates work in burger joints now, it'd be almost unheard of in the boomer gen, a degree was highly desirable.

Reactions: a.n.kirillov
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
a degree was highly desirable.

Good point, education has been completely inflated. Being highly educated makes the whole situation even worse psychologically.

Reactions: 262653 and SpareWheel
SpareWheel

SpareWheel

May 4, 2020
a degree was highly desirable.

Good point, education has been completely inflated. Being highly educated makes the whole situation even worse psychologically.
Yup, explains why some many genuises die young or go mad. I've often said to friends I'd love to be really stupid at times, proper ditzy level like Paris Hilton, they seem to have a much happier life being as they're not psychoanalysing themselves or over thinking everything anyone has said to them since the age of 5.
Whoa, is this a coveted reference to neoliberalism that I was hinting at? Hitting the nail on the head hard, my man/woman.
No, just an obvious allusion to a specific period in British history. If you covet neoliberism though, crack on :) see it as you wish.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed, RileyTanaka and a.n.kirillov
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I don't think it's a generational thing; some people simply acquire knowledge better through interaction with others. Reading pre-existing guides or mega-threads works for a certain type of learner but it's not for everyone.

The question-askers will always be with us, and when I grow weary of answering, I stop for a while, and know someone else will step up.

• Love
Reactions: Epsilon0, 262653, nitrogen and 2 others
Throwawaysoul

Throwawaysoul

Mage
May 14, 2018
I have one question. Do non English speaking countries give media savvy names to generations and use these terms ad nauseam?

Reactions: Oyoy
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
I have one question. Do non English speaking countries give media savvy names to generations and use these terms ad nauseam?
Not in Germany. They have adopted the term "Generation Y" at times but it's not very common. Here it's "the younger generation" and "the older generation".

Reactions: Throwawaysoul and Soul
Apathy79

Apathy79

Arcanist
Oct 13, 2019
@a.n.kirillov, good idea to clarify with birth dates. I edited the post but didn't put dates, here they are:

Milennials 1981-1996

Gen Z 1997-2012
Shit I'm dangerously close to being a millennial! What's 79? Gen X or Y?

I guess I'm in the middle of the younger and older generations. I get a sense older generations tend to try to live by virtues such as a hard day's work, being grateful and appreciative for what we have, only worrying about what's in another's bowl if they need more, etc., and find traits like complaining and entitlement abhorrent. So they expect the younger generation to see the world the same way - work hard and be happy with what they get. I think the younger generation says that's easy because your life was easy and so much better - the world's changed and we don't have the same opportunities you did. When we work hard, we get way less and that's society's problem, not mine! And I tend to think they're both basically right but the older generation lacks some compassion and the younger generation lacks some self responsibility, which is the sort of hodge-podge centrist position people my age seem to like!
As for looking up questions, I haven't noticed a generational difference? Maybe I haven't been paying attention.

Last edited:

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
So why do you ask the simplest questions when the information is often already out there or right here on the forum?
I don't always know how to formulate my question properly to the search systems. Sometimes it doesn't take too much time or effort to ask a simple question.
The answer might give me an idea how to formulate my question better. It's like participating in a lottery, but buying tickets is actually cost-effective.

I guess I could be classified as late milennial. I have no grievance with any generation in particular, and things I don't like (like arrogance) are cross-generational.

Also a few of your questions would be... incorrect when directed at me, because I don't feel like I'm having a well-established connection (like in form of activities and values) with my generation... Ugh, it's better to talk about such things in verbal language. My parents new well about Santa Barbara, I've seen a bit of it when I was little, newer generations might not know a thing about it... Ok I don't know why I'm mentioning it, or why I'm here (in this post) in the first place.

*I made a post someplace about social skills. One person compared me to a neural network, probably because we both appeared to that person incomprehensible. Sooner I learned more about neural network. If there was no reference, I wouldn't know about neural network, and I wouldn't learn anything about it. Another person made a question that didn't seem like a valid question because it implied that I have a psychiatrist. Sooner I learned about types of questions, what incorrect questions are, and how to respond to them. It's like talking with NPCs in video games and recieve quests. You can't recieve the quest if you didn't talk about a certain thing with certain NPC.

Last edited:
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
@Apathy99, you're Gen X. Gen Y is Millennial.

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
Here's my take on this:

I wonder if what you are referring to is not so much a question of age, but of education.

People who have practised critical thinking during their formative school years tend to rely less on help, compared to people who have not been trained to think for themselves.

Educated people are less likely to ask other people to summarize information. They usually ask questions which show they have done some research and need help in calibrating their understanding of specific details or certain difficult aspects.

I was having a discussion with a middle-aged man about a famous classical work and he told me he read the summary and felt quite content, and thought the plot was wonderful, and did not, for the life of him, understand why anyone would read the whole 500 pages in original.

I was so taken aback by his serenity and by the sincerity of his question that I did not know what to say.

Reading a summary is an altogether experience compared to reading the actual book. But if you have never read books, how can you know that?

It's the same with people who have not been trained to think for themselves. How can they possible understand that doing your own research is superior to reading short synopsis put together by someone else?

• Love
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
Short version: My perspective was wrong, and y'all helped me clear it up!

Thanks for all the responses here. The conversation did not go how I expected (which I expected!), and it all made for interesting reading and I got a lot from all of it.

It seems I was viewing things through the wrong lens. It's not at all a matter of age, it's just that it's an information forum, a place where people come to get information, and some do so by using tools, while others ask.

Long version for those who like to read:

I really benefited from @Soul's response, and had already been trying to do that -- if I'm tired of answering the same questions, or in a place of frustration that gives me a crappy attitude toward others (my stance, not Soul's), there's always someone else who will step up and answer. It's not that they're young whippersnappers and I'm a cranky old lady, it's a matter of how the forum is approached by each individual, and myself as an individual feeling approached.

I also really connected with @Epsilon0's response, and it goes well with Soul's. There are different styles of learning, as well as differences in educational backgrounds. That in itself could lead to an interesting conversation in a separate thread about how one gets important information in life as well as ctb, and how one may benefit and/or suffer in trusting others for information, such as going for blurbs rather than deep research. Along with that, others mentioned in this thread how it would be easier in life to be less inquisitive or introspective, and it makes me ponder if such an attitude leads to having more things handed to one without having to make effort -- another point of tension I notice played out sometimes on the forum, but again, it would be a topic for a separate conversation if one wanted to pursue it. I'm sure in each instance here that I've found stimulating, I am approaching the concept from a limited personal stance that could benefit from input.

But back to the main topic, and how I think I'll wrap up for myself what I was seeking to figure out by posting this thread:

In general, I've observed a particular kind of spectrum of members here: at one end, those who pull up to the forum like a fast-food window and want the method selected for them and handed to them based on price, ease, and painlessness, and at the other end, those who thoroughly research and plan every minute element of a method. There are other spectrums of course, such as how much one wants to interact with others, or how quickly they want to ctb vs. how much they have to process about the decision besides just the method.

Thanks to all who answered my call for help. By all means, keep commenting and conversing if you're so motivated, but I'm quite satisfied. I may have approached the issues from an odd angle, but I got what I needed anyway. Still curious what the younguns here think about interacting with us olduns here vs with each other, but I'd need to rethink it and start a new thread, probably without an introductory essay, probably even shorter than this comment! :pfff:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Epsilon0 and Soul