freecoffee

freecoffee

Feb 6, 2023
I've been working out for well over a year now and have seen what I'll call noticeable improvements to my appearance, but I absolutely hate working out. I hate the feeling of pain that comes with the last few reps of any lift, and I'll never being to understand the masochists that enjoy cardio because I find that burn excruciating, I want to tell myself my life hurts too much as is to be putting myself through this, yet somehow, even though I don't really care about my appearance or health anymore, every time I take any time off from the gym, I feel myself falling out of shape, remember all the hard work I've already put in, and take myself back to the gym like its all some body dysmorphia fueled sunk cost.

I don't want to work out anymore... it hurts, but I can't stop. It's like I'm trapped.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: 0000000000000, CantWait2D1E and lovesurroundsyou
VioletNight

VioletNight

Student
Jan 24, 2023
The fact that you're able to push yourself to do something you hate that betters yourself is pretty admirable. I'm sorry it sucks so much for you and I feel you on how much it feels like shit afterwards.
I hope you can find a solution, maybe cut down a little bit on the number of days you workout and see if that helps?

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I'm in the same position. Don't enjoy it but there's no way I want to stop and go backwards. I have gone back to my original 'beginners' routine which covers the whole body, and only go twice a week. Have a basic home routine for some other days. I can handle sustaining that. That's enough.

Faejin

Faejin

Feb 10, 2023
I've been working out for well over a year now and have seen what I'll call noticeable improvements to my appearance, but I absolutely hate working out. I hate the feeling of pain that comes with the last few reps of any lift, and I'll never being to understand the masochists that enjoy cardio because I find that burn excruciating, I want to tell myself my life hurts too much as is to be putting myself through this, yet somehow, even though I don't really care about my appearance or health anymore, every time I take any time off from the gym, I feel myself falling out of shape, remember all the hard work I've already put in, and take myself back to the gym like its all some body dysmorphia fueled sunk cost.

I don't want to work out anymore... it hurts, but I can't stop. It's like I'm trapped.
I just think running and breaking pbs is fun. Running also gets me into a place when I don't have to deal with other people's bullshit.

CantWait2D1E

CantWait2D1E

Archaon, Herald of the Apocalypse
Dec 24, 2022
Glad to hear you're working out. It's the only thing that's been keeping me sane.
I'm sorry but pain and hatred from doing an exercise is just a sign that they're working. Just from reading you comment I can tell you're doing all the right things. If a workout is not challenging to you in anyway you're probably wasting your time doing it. I know exactly what you mean about those last few reps. When I reach that point on leg extensions it feels like thunder is coursing through my thighs and it takes every ounce of my being not to scream or grunt like some big musclehead meatball lol.

Maybe cut back on working out? It only takes like 3 gym sessions a week to "maintain" a certain appearance. You don't have to be super consistent about it unless you're trying to build the best body possible.
Try picking up a hobby that works out the mind instead. I for example like arts, painting my miniature Warhammer figures more specifically.
Only you can decide if this is a worthwhile use of your time. It's a habit you've gained so it's hard for the mind not to want it.