Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Supposed to attend an interview tomorrow, not my first choice of job but more out of desperation. Have been for a few in the past few months and found them extremely stressful owing to anxiety/depression.
I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who manage to hold down a job.
I've always known work is a con and that you're only a number, never felt any loyalty to any employer. Work is only a means to an end and I don't think I can last till sixty seven.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Jen Erik and 6 others
blindstatue

blindstatue

Nov 16, 2018
I hope your interview goes well and you get the job. Trust yourself. You will do well, I'm sure.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can, BlackDragonof1989 and 3 others
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can and 2 others
Moony21

Moony21

Experienced
Nov 23, 2018
I wish you good luck!

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can, BlackDragonof1989 and 3 others
T

Tyuiop

Student
Nov 25, 2018
Wish you luck too, you posted on my profile but i coudn't reply. Work is not only a means for money, for most people it gives them something to fill their day, something to feel accomplished. I work part time and i wish i got more hours because nothing is fun anyway

C

Circles

Visionary
Sep 3, 2018
I wish you luck.
Yea I understand the drag I'm probably going to be fired all because I wanted a day off from working six-fucking-days a week. Fucking bullshit how jobs act like they own you to the point of making you feel like a slave.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can and 5 others
worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
Good luck on your interview. I hope everything goes well. Have you ever thought about applying for SSI incase your depression and anxiety makes it impossible for you to work in the future?

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can, BlackDragonof1989 and 2 others
W

Welsh

Nov 23, 2018
You've got this, dude.

I also experience a lot of stress and anxiety when going through the interview process, so you're not alone there. It sucks when you're depressed. I always found questions like "so what's your best attribute" to be tricky and emotional, as sometimes I find it hard to say anything positive about myself.

I'm currently holding down a job that I don't really like, purely because of the anxiety I feel when I think about going through the process of applying for new jobs again, so I get where you're coming from.

Just remember, as you said, work is just a means to an end. Just put on your best liar face for the interview and nail it. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to build it up too much in your head. It's just another interview, with the same old stock questions and answers. And if it somehow goes tits up, there'll always be another one.

Best of luck to you, and update us on how it goes!

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can, worldexploder and 2 others
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Good luck on your interview. I hope everything goes well. Have you ever thought about applying for SSI incase your depression and anxiety makes it impossible for you to work in the future?
I was claiming Jsa in this country, then advised to apply for ESA (the equivalent of SSI ) they were taking their time deciding with it and eventually told me that I would have to apply for the new universal credit! Right now I'm living off savings as I don't give much of a shit for their methods. Many people over here have CTB owing to government policies and I can understand why.
https://www.theguardian.com/society...ks-universal-credit-to-increased-suicide-risk

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can and 2 others
Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
I hope you get the job!

It took me a while to be able to hold down a job. I found something that was a good fit and force myself to show up to work.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can, Circles and 2 others
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
I hope you get the job!

It took me a while to be able to hold down a job. I found something that was a good fit and force myself to show up to work.
I was in constant employment for the past twenty six years, got made redundant at the end of July, but I forced myself to go as there's no alternative.

worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
I was claiming Jsa in this country, then advised to apply for ESA (the equivalent of SSI ) they were taking their time deciding with it and eventually told me that I would have to apply for the new universal credit! Right now I'm living off savings as I don't give much of a shit for their methods. Many people over here have CTB owing to government policies and I can understand why.
https://www.theguardian.com/society...ks-universal-credit-to-increased-suicide-risk
That's screwed up. It took me 2 years to get on SSI. I applied in 2009 and got it in 2011. SSI barley gives me shit. 800 dollars a month. If my aunt didn't make so much money I'd be in public housing. We live in a world were people who need help the most get it the least. That's the way it's always been. It's a depressing yet sobering reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can, wiIIow and 2 others
W

Welsh

Nov 23, 2018

Ugh, didn't realise you were from the UK.
Universal credit is a fucking joke, everyone I know that has genuinely needed it desperately hasn't been approved. I know people that don't need it, that still get paid a lot because they were approved under the old scheme. It's a mess and reflects badly on us as a country.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can and Johnnythefox
wiIIow

wiIIow

Arcanist
Sep 22, 2018
man, I feel you. I have never held down a job for even a full year, and it's getting harder and harder to get employee the more jobs I piss through. I always either hit a wall where my panic of going to/being atwork outweighs the survival drive and i don't show up or (more commonly) walk out, get so depressed or sick with pain and nausea that I cant get out of bed, or I get myself fired for whatever reason. My guess is that the employer realizes how neurotic I am and considers me a burden/liability and so finds a reason to get rid of me... or in the case of my last job, just doesn't even try to give me any reason or heads up. but the most common thing has been walking off the job and never showing up again

I can never explain to anyone why this happens, why it's so difficult to hold down a job. I've been ridiculed and shamed by people in my life for it. In all honesty I hate it, I'd love to be a good, complacent, loyal employee that doesn't understand that I'm just a number ready to be tossed at the first sniff of more trouble than I'm worth. but with mental and chronic illness, I'm not worth shit. plus I can never force myself to fake enthusiasm or loyalty... never know how to answer anyone who's like "how do you like the job so far?" I mean... I'm scraping and pulling slabs of fucking wax out of machines for 8 hours a day, Greg, so I don't know. It's a whole lot of fun I guess.

I've been at my new job two weeks and I already had my first major meltdown at work... and then another after that. I'm so fucked, and I have no advice to give you, because I don't know what to do myself

anyway good luck at the interview. don't forget to... smile?

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Made4TV, Weeping Garbage Can and 2 others
Lra888

Lra888

Enlightened
Sep 30, 2018
For a depressed or anxious person working is much more difficult than a normal healthy person. I have a job at the moment but some days I barely get through the day, and I know everyone can see I'm not well, and I will likely be let go or abandon it soon. But I have no choice at the moment. Mental illness has put me through periods of horrible poverty and the thought of that causes such fear. I hate this system of being threatened with desperate poverty/homelessness. It doesn't work for mentally ill people. Can't wait to die and be finished with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can, Circles and 2 others
wiIIow

wiIIow

Arcanist
Sep 22, 2018
That's screwed up. It took me 2 years to get on SSI. I applied in 2009 and got it in 2011. SSI barley gives me shit. 800 dollars a month. If my aunt didn't make so much money I'd be in public housing. We live in a world were people who need help the most get it the least. That's the way it's always been. It's a depressing yet sobering reality.

god that is depressing. it's the main reason I haven't applied for SSI, other than the huge hassle it would wind up being. It's like if you're not able to function enough to produce, you're worth nothing and punished for it. Here, you may just exist, but that's it. fuck

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can, worldexploder and 2 others
Lra888

Lra888

Enlightened
Sep 30, 2018
man, I feel you. I have never held down a job for even a full year, and it's getting harder and harder to get employee the more jobs I piss through. I always either hit a wall where my panic of going to/being atwork outweighs the survival drive and i don't show up or (more commonly) walk out, get so depressed or sick with pain and nausea that I cant get out of bed, or I get myself fired for whatever reason. My guess is that the employer realizes how neurotic I am and considers me a burden/liability and so finds a reason to get rid of me... or in the case of my last job, just doesn't even try to give me any reason or heads up. but the most common thing has been walking off the job and never showing up again

I can never explain to anyone why this happens, why it's so difficult to hold down a job. I've been ridiculed and shamed by people in my life for it. In all honesty I hate it, I'd love to be a good, complacent, loyal employee that doesn't understand that I'm just a number ready to be tossed at the first sniff of more trouble than I'm worth. but with mental and chronic illness, I'm not worth shit. plus I can never force myself to fake enthusiasm or loyalty... never know how to answer anyone who's like "how do you like the job so far?" I mean... I'm scraping and pulling slabs of fucking wax out of machines for 8 hours a day, Greg, so I don't know. It's a whole lot of fun I guess.

I've been at my new job two weeks and I already had my first major meltdown at work... and then another after that. I'm so fucked, and I have no advice to give you, because I don't know what to do myself

anyway good luck at the interview. don't forget to... smile?
I totally relate to this. There were times my depression and anxiety caused me to stop going in. I felt horrible about it and I knew it was self destructive but I was in too much pain.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can, Johnnythefox and 1 other person
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
This just sums it up for me. FB IMG 1543255534699

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, TAW122 and 8 others
wiIIow

wiIIow

Arcanist
Sep 22, 2018
This just sums it up for me. View attachment 3758
oh yes, I love this quote. Bukowski's my boyyy

sometimes I think about the fact that he worked in a post office for years and years, and then in older age said "fuck this" and started writing. I guess it sort of encourages me a little, like maybe I could someday ditch the grind and focus on my art... one can dream

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can and Johnnythefox
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
So I cancelled today, sorry guys! Was a job I don't really want to do, a kitchen porter at a university campus. I've got twenty six years of experience as a chef/cook, I've ran kitchens in the past and to take a position as the lowest rank in a kitchen would not do my mental health any good. It would likely make me feel a whole lot worse if that's possible, the idea of cleaning up after another cook does not go well with me. I applied for this several weeks ago when I was receiving JSA and had to provide proof of looking for work or be penalised. I also applied for a job as Santa's chief Elf! I've pulled out of a few interviews the past few months as I can't face them. My confidence came crashing down when I was notified of redundancy, if and when it ever returns I don't know.
The breakdown I had in August was pretty severe, I should probably have been hospitalised but beds are in short supply over here. Ironically enough my oldest brother is a qualified RMN who also teaches and provides psychotherapy, hypnotherapy and all the rest. Unfortunately he stays 400 miles away, but was in touch with me back in August when I reached out to him for help. I don't know if it's the fluoxetine making me feel so bad, but it's not making me feel good either after almost five weeks.
Thanks for the good wishes yesterday but I know myself enough to know it's not a job for me.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1543340098284_1543340786416.jpg
    FB_IMG_1543340098284_1543340786416.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Susannah and 2 others
Moony21

Moony21

Experienced
Nov 23, 2018
I think it's good that you don't anything where you feel worse. You should not sell yourself "below value". sometimes you lose sight of that. I would wish you that you find a job that makes you feel good. I am sure that you are a great cook! I hope you know what I mean, despite my bad English:ahhha:

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Johnnythefox
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
I think it's good that you don't anything where you feel worse. You should not sell yourself "below value". sometimes you lose sight of that. I would wish you that you find a job that makes you feel good. I am sure that you are a great cook! I hope you know what I mean, despite my bad English:ahhha:
Thanks, I just get angry when I do attend interviews and sometimes get asked idiotic questions. I see you are in Switzerland! I worked in Cervinia for a couple of weeks some years ago but the altitude did not agree with me..

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Moony21

Moony21

Experienced
Nov 23, 2018
I can understand you well ... I already had some of them. ,it's tiring, especially with the well-trained "HR people" ...

Oh really? I think many do not like the Swiss very much :D

Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Oh really? I think many do not like the Swiss very much :D
Swiss people have never done me any harm, except for having a drink thrown in my face by a Swiss girl. I deserved it though for being an a-hole.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Moony21

Moony21

Experienced
Nov 23, 2018
ooops: D that seems to be an international problem. you made me laugh

L

Louise

Apr 28, 2018
I haven't worked in decades. I have bipolar, am in the UK and get fairly generous benefits for that, much more than SSI in the States and not such a hassle to apply for - although the change from DLA to PIP hasn't gone well for me and I'm in the process of appealing for a higher rate.

I find the working world overwhelmingly horrible too. When I did work it felt like being in prison.

Having enough money to facilitate me sitting on my ass all day doesn't make me feel much better though. I still regard my life as doing hard time. It's the only analogy that makes sense for me.

I totally understand why you wouldn't wanna take that job OP. Some jobs are undoubtedly worse than no job at all...

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Jen Erik and Johnnythefox
M

MAIO

Elementalist
Apr 8, 2018
Supposed to attend an interview tomorrow, not my first choice of job but more out of desperation. Have been for a few in the past few months and found them extremely stressful owing to anxiety/depression.
I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who manage to hold down a job.
I've always known work is a con and that you're only a number, never felt any loyalty to any employer. Work is only a means to an end and I don't think I can last till sixty seven.

That is how I use to feel. I had only worked warehouse jobs and hated it. I ended up getting a job where I got paid better to sleep listen to music, go to movie etc and loved it(for a job). Try to Get the job, than keep looking. Most people hate something and just settle with(which is what I did)

M

MAIO

Elementalist
Apr 8, 2018

Depends on the state. I have seen people take advantage of the system espically when I use to do social work. Ie do nothing but play video games all day evrey day with decent housing. Not that I have a problem with it, espically since my job was great at the time.(I played video games with clients at work, movies, manufactured hash oil etc)

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and worldexploder
Susannah

Susannah

Mage
Jul 2, 2018
I'm desperate for a job. After the accident 2+ years ago, I have lost much of me confidence and self esteem. Having a rather high education, it's difficult to find employers willing to hire me. My greatest wish is to work abroud. In a country less cold than Norway. I barely survive economically. Our social welfare system used to be good, but those days are over. Everything in Norway is expensive, especially food and housing expenses.