P

przeciwwymiotne

Be rude to me at all times, I don't deserve kindne
Jun 27, 2022
My view on parenting rules and restrictions has been changing a lot recently. I actually think self-binding, opposing rules and even sometimes using force to discipline a child is righteous. A lot of people in my generation and I are pampered as fuck. It's not good for our wellbeing and for the world in general. How are we supposed to create a better future for humanity if 'we're consumed by anxiety' and shit. We're so weak.

• Love
Reactions: cassxtho, GreyCTB and Huntfish34
MidnightDream

MidnightDream

Warlock
Sep 5, 2022
Respectfully, I don't think a stricter upbringing would make much difference in that regard. The world is riddled with anxiety full stop, and humans in general are weak beings. A lot of our social development comes from our peers and the environment around us, so it's unlikely you would have been able to avoid that influence even if you had experienced your idea of a perfect childhood.

I agree, pampering and overbearing parenting can be can be very harmful, especially once kids are exposed to 'the real world' and those social influences, as there's often a clear disparity and these kids haven't been taught how to handle this. But I would argue that a stricter parenting style, particularly with a use of force, would be just as harmful, if not worse. Strict parents create sneaky kids, and there's a fine line between force & abuse, and trauma down the line. ,

Overall, in my opinion it really doesn't need to be that black and white. For me, I had a very hands off parent and that taught me to trust my instincts, value my decisions and understand consequences. It also taught me independence. A perfect middle ground in my eyes, and if I hadn't had that, I couldn't even fathom how much worse my mental health would be these days, and that's the parenting style I would adopt should I ever have children.

Reactions: BornHated, blankfairy, Girl-shaped Wound and 6 others
D

DeathBecomesMe_2021

Oct 16, 2021
Using force? I don't agree with that. I do agree that there should be certain rules and a routine in the household. Positive reinforcement also looks attractive to me (i.e. reward 'good' behaviours and ignore bad behaviours like temper tantrums.)

Edit: That said, I wouldn't ignore a child's 'negative' emotions like sadness, fear, anxiety etc. As human beings we experience a range of emotions and all feelings are valid.)

Last edited:
Reactions: doesitreallymatter, heavyeyes, freedomcalls and 3 others
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
A lot of good research has been done on this topic.

Corporal punishment of children is considered harmful and outlawed in many parts of the world. Violence is unnecessary to achieve discipline and can involve discomfort, trauma and a weaking of the bond with the parent.

Boundaries are desirable and in practice, it is sometimes necessary to resort to arbitrary threats rather than relying solely on natural consequences. In this case, withholding treats is the best strategy. Basic food, shelter and love should be unconditionally available.

The spectrum of absent parenting versus helicopter parenting is one that needs to be approached with nuance. In some situations, it is best to leave a young person to learn about life through natural consequences. In other situations, guidance is needed because there are many threats in the world that would seriously harm or kill someone rather than be a mere learning experience.

Parenting theory aside, if you are seeking discipline, there are some career paths which teach it, namely the military. There are other approaches, such as religion, that might work for you.

• Love
Reactions: Girl-shaped Wound, heavyeyes, achromatic and 1 other person
L

Lonlemoon

Oct 14, 2022
From someone who was raised in a strict and Christian household, when I reached my late teens and adulthood I was not prepared for alot of things in life.
The older I get the more I realize that alot of my mental health issues(depression, anxiety etc), underlying trauma, heavy insecurities and etc, all stem from alot of the BS my parents reamed into my head growing up.
Even to this day I never feel that I am enough, or ever will be enough, even knowing most of that stems from disappointing people who "loved" me by not being the person they expected of me.

Anyways. There has to be a balance, and I whole heartedly believe that, that balance depends on the individual child and as they grow it will change too, just like life changes.

• Hugs
Reactions: DeathBecomesMe_2021, heavyeyes, cassxtho and 1 other person
achromatic

achromatic

hedgehog dilemma
Oct 18, 2022
Żartuję, oczywiście, ale jak to papież powiedział "Wymagajcie od siebie nawet jeśli od Was nie wymagają " tak głupio mi się skojarzyło xd
Miałam bardzo podobnie pod tym względem w domu
Nieironicznie podziwiam jak bardzo starasz się pracować nad sobą anty-emetyku, nawet jeśli nie wychodzi - próby zapanowania nad uzależnieniem od telefonu i bing eating, to więcej niż większość z nas w ogóle robi

Last edited:
P

przeciwwymiotne

Be rude to me at all times, I don't deserve kindne
Jun 27, 2022
Żartuję, oczywiście, ale jak to papież powiedział "Wymagajcie od siebie nawet jeśli od Was nie wymagają " tak głupio mi się skojarzyło xd
Miałam bardzo podobnie pod tym względem w domu
Nieironicznie podziwiam jak bardzo starasz się pracować nad sobą anty-emetyku, nawet jeśli nie wychodzi - próby zapanowania nad uzależnieniem od telefonu i bing eating, to więcej niż większość z nas w ogóle robi
Stara (stary?) totalnie się zgadzam z tą myślą papieża, to jest clue mojego problemu. Najpierw za duże wymagania i zero działania, później dużo działania, ale weszło na destrukcyjny poziom. Do tego stopnia że zniszczyłam sobie ciało na całe życie. I przez to, że gdy cały mój świat (który sama zbudowałam) się zawalił, nie dostałam żadnego konstruktywnego wsparcia tylko wręcz mama była dumna, że w końcu przestałam wstawać rano- przez to tak trudno mi się podnieść. Głupio z mojej strony, że obwiniam rodziców, powinnam być silniejsza. Ale tak długo byłam silna, z perspektywy widzę że naprawdę kiedyś byłam kurwa mocarzem. Mam nadzieję że gdzieś tam w środku nadal jestem, ale i tak zmarnowane życie, bo zniszczyłam sobie ciało i zdrowie. Może jak się wyprowadzę i nie będę miała ich dookoła siebie uda mi się na nowo wyjść z tych uzależnień. Tylko najpierw muszę znaleźć pracę, ze zniszczonym kręgosłupem możliwość są ograniczone. Szukam stażu w jakiejś firmie. Teraz jestem 3% tak silna i zdeterminowana jak byłam. I appreciate reading praise o tym że chociaż się staram. Ale jest ciężko. I co. I nic. Sama muszę to ogarnąć. Znowu. Najgorsze jest to że znowu. I tym razem jest milion razy trudniej. Ale będę silniejsza będzie znowu 100%. (Chociaż się boję że to tylko takie głupie pocieszanie się w podobie do 'od jutra zaczynam x' no i wiadomo że nie zaczynasz. Ale chuj tam ze mną wie. Jak się uwolniłam od uzależnień to rodzina mnie zostawiła, znajomi mnie zostawili i dostałam obsesji na punkcie głodzenia się i ruszania non stop. Bałam się usiąść, bo dostanę zawału serca albo będę gruba. Podnosiłam zbyt ciężkie ciężary w obawie przed roztyciem się albo cukrzycą. No i to mocno przez problemy w domu, ale nie chcę ich używać jako wymówki.) Także na 99% będzie lepiej, ogarnę uzależnienia. Będę używać tylko cegły i komputera. I jeść tylko wcześniej przygotowane posiłki. Ale muszę to faktycznie zacząć robić i nie przestawać od razu. No i też nie popaść w obsesję znowu...... Najgorsze jest zero pomocy i zrozumienia w kwestii BED od polskich terapeutów. Wszyscy traktują to jakby to nie było wielkim problemem. Podczas gdy ja kradnę, zapycham się losowym żarciem do rozpuku, wypadają mi włosy, żołądek powoli wrzodzieje i z dnia na dzień zbliżam się do śmierci w wielkim bólu. Nie tak wyobrażałam sobie życie that's for sure. Tęsknię za satysfakcją jaka płynie z bycia wolnym od uzależnienia. Chociaż pamiętam też ból, bo rodzice się ze mnie nabijali i nie traktowali uzależnienia od telefonu i jedzenia poważnie. Smutek, że nikt mnie wtedy nie docenił, a znajomi uważali za freaka, bo nie używałam telefonu. Do d00py z takimi znajomymi, ale wtedy nie sądziłam że mogę mieć innych. Eh. No zjebałam coś co mogło być dobrym życiem. Z jednej strony sama to zorbiłam. A z drugiej moje środowisko mnie zmusiło. Chociaż walczyłam. Jezu ale esej. I do tego angsty. Nie wiem czy to jest w 100% to co się wydarzyło, pamięć płata figle plus to tylko moja perspektywa. Chcę się wyprowadzić i chcę wyjebać telefon

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: achromatic
achromatic

achromatic

hedgehog dilemma
Oct 18, 2022
Stara (stary?) totalnie się zgadzam z tą myślą papieża, to jest clue mojego problemu. Najpierw za duże wymagania i zero działania, później dużo działania, ale weszło na destrukcyjny poziom. Do tego stopnia że zniszczyłam sobie ciało na całe życie. I przez to, że gdy cały mój świat (który sama zbudowałam) się zawalił, nie dostałam żadnego konstruktywnego wsparcia tylko wręcz mama była dumna, że w końcu przestałam wstawać rano- przez to tak trudno mi się podnieść. Głupio z mojej strony, że obwiniam rodziców, powinnam być silniejsza. Ale tak długo byłam silna, z perspektywy widzę że naprawdę kiedyś byłam kurwa mocarzem. Mam nadzieję że gdzieś tam w środku nadal jestem, ale i tak zmarnowane życie, bo zniszczyłam sobie ciało i zdrowie. Może jak się wyprowadzę i nie będę miała ich dookoła siebie uda mi się na nowo wyjść z tych uzależnień. Tylko najpierw muszę znaleźć pracę, ze zniszczonym kręgosłupem możliwość są ograniczone. Szukam stażu w jakiejś firmie. Teraz jestem 3% tak silna i zdeterminowana jak byłam. I appreciate reading praise o tym że chociaż się staram. Ale jest ciężko. I co. I nic. Sama muszę to ogarnąć. Znowu. Najgorsze jest to że znowu. I tym razem jest milion razy trudniej. Ale będę silniejsza będzie znowu 100%. (Chociaż się boję że to tylko takie głupie pocieszanie się w podobie do 'od jutra zaczynam x' no i wiadomo że nie zaczynasz. Ale chuj tam ze mną wie. Jak się uwolniłam od uzależnień to rodzina mnie zostawiła, znajomi mnie zostawili i dostałam obsesji na punkcie głodzenia się i ruszania non stop. Bałam się usiąść, bo dostanę zawału serca albo będę gruba. Podnosiłam zbyt ciężkie ciężary w obawie przed roztyciem się albo cukrzycą. No i to mocno przez problemy w domu, ale nie chcę ich używać jako wymówki.) Także na 99% będzie lepiej, ogarnę uzależnienia. Będę używać tylko cegły i komputera. I jeść tylko wcześniej przygotowane posiłki. Ale muszę to faktycznie zacząć robić i nie przestawać od razu. No i też nie popaść w obsesję znowu...... Najgorsze jest zero pomocy i zrozumienia w kwestii BED od polskich terapeutów. Wszyscy traktują to jakby to nie było wielkim problemem. Podczas gdy ja kradnę, zapycham się losowym żarciem do rozpuku, wypadają mi włosy, żołądek powoli wrzodzieje i z dnia na dzień zbliżam się do śmierci w wielkim bólu. Nie tak wyobrażałam sobie życie that's for sure. Tęsknię za satysfakcją jaka płynie z bycia wolnym od uzależnienia. Chociaż pamiętam też ból, bo rodzice się ze mnie nabijali i nie traktowali uzależnienia od telefonu i jedzenia poważnie. Smutek, że nikt mnie wtedy nie docenił, a znajomi uważali za freaka, bo nie używałam telefonu. Do d00py z takimi znajomymi, ale wtedy nie sądziłam że mogę mieć innych. Eh. No zjebałam coś co mogło być dobrym życiem. Z jednej strony sama to zorbiłam. A z drugiej moje środowisko mnie zmusiło. Chociaż walczyłam. Jezu ale esej. I do tego angsty. Nie wiem czy to jest w 100% to co się wydarzyło, pamięć płata figle plus to tylko moja perspektywa. Chcę się wyprowadzić i chcę wyjebać telefon
Nie jestem w stanie wiele doradzić, ale trzymam za Ciebie kciuki

• Love
Reactions: przeciwwymiotne
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
I wish I had a badass dad when I was younger. Especially when I was a teen-ager. I know to some people here, this is weird. But I would have liked the kind of dad and maybe a big brother who would give me some rough discipline. A man discipling his son,(especially if I was his son), should slap his boy upside the head. See if i was being a bad kid big bro and dad might need to correct me often and make it hurt a little. To me having a dad and a big brother who really loved me, would mean that I get whomped on. Now the really weird part, the fact that they are correcting me like that would make me feel loved. I know one guy who got real good at being bad because when he was bad his dad paid attention to him. See why having some badass dudes in your immediate family might be real nice. Growing up that that a boy might grow up and fear nothing. Tho to me I'd have loved to grow up in Sparta, now they knew how to make real men.

Last edited:
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
I agree a balance has to be maintained. I was on a long leash, but at the end of it was a hard yank. I had boundaries and knew they were there but they were wide. With my kid corporal punishment was a last resort and only for something dangerous, and only had to do it once (1 butt tap on a diaper butt for taking off the outlet cover to play with). Having said that, I do yell and get really mad which can be scary but when those red lines get reached there's not much room to explain why something isn't nice, things like running to a road, grabbing a knife, hot stove, etc. The threat was always there but I didn't have to use it, but I know from experience a hollow threat is no threat. We had our ears and eyes open and talked freely with her so she knew where we stood and what was ok even though she assumed we'd get mad. The other thing I was raised in and my siblings (with the exception of 1) agree with is an adult can stop a bad relative kid (not beat them but restrain or tell them to stop doing something) if mom & dad don't see it. No "aunty won't do anything" and that keeps routine when with relatives. With all that almost anything else was fine, kids are kids and make messes and get crazy. We were the "fun house" for my kid's friends especially a foster kid who had some adhd type stuff going on. Never had a problem with him and he was a really good friend for my daughter, we took him to the circus a bunch of times, and were surprised with some parents voiced concern about him being around.

Himalayan

Himalayan

"Wake up to reality, nothing ever goes as planned"
Sep 30, 2022
If you want to raise kids whit discipline, you use sports and not physical force

• Hmph!
Reactions: makethepainstop and achromatic
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
I think there's discipline (like in the military) and discipline (there are limits and they will be enforced). Sports helps with the first but not the second. Discipline doesn't have to be physical force either but having seen "explaining everything" in action when something dangerous is about to happen there's no time to explain, let alone get their attention and that's where I see yelling or grabbing by the arm to pull them from walking in front of a car comes in.

D

DeathBecomesMe_2021

Oct 16, 2021
I think there's discipline (like in the military) and discipline (there are limits and they will be enforced). Sports helps with the first but not the second. Discipline doesn't have to be physical force either but having seen "explaining everything" in action when something dangerous is about to happen there's no time to explain, let alone get their attention and that's where I see yelling or grabbing by the arm to pull them from walking in front of a car comes in.
Yes, in a dangerous situation the only thing that'll grab their attention in the moment is yelling or yanking them back from traffic for instance. Being laid-back won't work in a situation like that. I've seen this with a usually very mild-mannered dad where he once screamed at the top of his lungs at his child because she was trying to lean out of an open top-storey window.

Last edited:
Reactions: Girl-shaped Wound and achromatic
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
If you want to raise kids whit discipline, you use sports and not physical force
No sir, that didn't work for me. Though I like hand to hand and MMA training. I needed the type of dad that's a hands on dad! Hopefully next life......

Himalayan

Himalayan

"Wake up to reality, nothing ever goes as planned"
Sep 30, 2022
No sir, that didn't work for me. Though I like hand to hand and MMA training. I needed the type of dad that's a hands on dad! Hopefully next life......
MMA only requires discipline on the pro scene...