xXSarac3nSlay3rXx

xXSarac3nSlay3rXx

“Leaving this world is not as scary as it sounds.”
Mar 3, 2019
How many of you guys have tried Wim Hof's breathing method? I've been doing it off and on for several months now. After a couple rounds of breathing, I do feel better. Problem is, this better feeling is very short-lived. This technique seemed far more effective when I first started it, but now it seems to have lost its magic. It also seems increasingly hard to hold my breath nearly as long as I used to.

Ultimately, nothing I've tried so far seems to work. I've tried psych meds, supplements, and a shit-tier dissociative. I think my last ditch effort is going to be a psychedelic experience. Failing a miraculous result from that, I think I'll resort to ctb again.

Here's that breathing method I mentioned if you want to try it: it's worth a shot even if it only gives you temporary happiness.

Reactions: chris8000, Sensei and puppy9
chris8000

chris8000

Experienced
Dec 10, 2019
I used samatha meditation for several years, basically on the breath, but I did different length of breaths with mental counting too. If you just keep going regardless of the ups and downs of the mind meditation or pranayama etc does work. Magic mushrooms may really help see life differently and for the better, although it is not a good long term solution in my view, that's why spiritual practice is there.

There are plenty of good methods out there in different traditions, the main thing is to stick with it, if you can. And bring mindfulness into all your life instead of 30 minutes or whatever.

I went to a Buddhist monastery to learn from people first hand as well which was a great experience. It was of the Thai forest tradition of Ajahn Chah, a well respected lineage of Theravada monks who emphasise practice and the original teachings of the Buddha. I did eventually get free of depression, and anxiety for the most part.

Last edited:
Reactions: BipolarExpat
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I've never tried the Wim Hof breathing method, but I've tried ice cold showers which is part of his method. It actually works quite well, a bit like heavy exercise. I assume that some kind of hormones are released in your body when you're exposed to strong cold which makes you feel well. I've completely forgotten about this and will give it another shot. Thanks for reminding me of this, although indirectly.

Reactions: dyingtodie and chris8000
D

dyingtodie

Student
Nov 29, 2018
Cold water always helps me feel better. Sometimes it feels like I just might CTB before I face the cold, but then I think, surely if I can tolerate the neck pain, I can tolerate a few seconds of cold, and when I do, I feel way less suicidal...then if I eat/smoke...I can be well for another night. Breathing helps too if I remember to do it...Alternate Nostril breathing is a great simple and effective technique especially for clearing anger...I'm usually too angry to do it. Psychedelics have helped me tremendously...they cured my depression, a few years ago...but the lessons I learned from Mushrooms led to a graver depression that I feel I can't shake...Mushies remain my last hope...though I know I'll have to dose frequently...which can be troubling. The come down from a heavenly state can be extremely depression. but it usually gets me going and active again at least for a few weeks... There's a great interview on the adventures through the mind podcast about depression and mushrooms - it really clarifies a lot...it's not a magic bullet, but if used in the right away, and perhaps often, or as needed...it can be a life saver. Hope I give myself one more dosey do...I always feel like, if I'm gonna CTB...may as well have one last trip, and that trip always makes me go further...which I appreciate cause I keep learning more stuff about life. Sometimes my depression is so deep I can only sit, and I realize I'm actually in deep meditation...and if I can cope with the boredom/isolation/lonliness... it's actually great for myself as I'm growing spiritually/mentally. I've been having a hard time accepting that I am indeed quite well. This is because of how often I suffer intense emotional pain and suicidal ideation. But...on the other side of feeling those emotions I usually come out allright...my problem has been that I keep running for distractions thinking that the awfulness is bearing down on me again...when in fact it is not...I may just be bored cause I have no interests...but at least I am at peace. Until I distract myself with my main addiction, online chess, which just agitates me if I've had too much...and then next thing I know I'm dead set to ctb...like just now. Was winning a game...distracted myself by writing through the whole game. Blundered a piece, and now I hate myself. Ah well. Cest la vie.

Game Chat Transcript:

I also agree with Chris8000

Reactions: Sensei
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I'm impressed that you explore and utilise so many methods. I'm quite desperate and I'm prepared to try anything. I've never heard of alternate nostril breathing before. Is there a special technique to it?

xXSarac3nSlay3rXx

xXSarac3nSlay3rXx

“Leaving this world is not as scary as it sounds.”
Mar 3, 2019
I've never tried the Wim Hof breathing method, but I've tried ice cold showers which is part of his method. It actually works quite well, a bit like heavy exercise. I assume that some kind of hormones are released in your body when you're exposed to strong cold which makes you feel well. I've completely forgotten about this and will give it another shot. Thanks for reminding me of this, although indirectly.
Cold water always helps me feel better. Sometimes it feels like I just might CTB before I face the cold, but then I think, surely if I can tolerate the neck pain, I can tolerate a few seconds of cold, and when I do, I feel way less suicidal...then if I eat/smoke...I can be well for another night. Breathing helps too if I remember to do it...Alternate Nostril breathing is a great simple and effective technique especially for clearing anger...I'm usually too angry to do it. Psychedelics have helped me tremendously...they cured my depression, a few years ago...but the lessons I learned from Mushrooms led to a graver depression that I feel I can't shake...Mushies remain my last hope...though I know I'll have to dose frequently...which can be troubling. The come down from a heavenly state can be extremely depression. but it usually gets me going and active again at least for a few weeks... There's a great interview on the adventures through the mind podcast about depression and mushrooms - it really clarifies a lot...it's not a magic bullet, but if used in the right away, and perhaps often, or as needed...it can be a life saver. Hope I give myself one more dosey do...I always feel like, if I'm gonna CTB...may as well have one last trip, and that trip always makes me go further...which I appreciate cause I keep learning more stuff about life. Sometimes my depression is so deep I can only sit, and I realize I'm actually in deep meditation...and if I can cope with the boredom/isolation/lonliness... it's actually great for myself as I'm growing spiritually/mentally. I've been having a hard time accepting that I am indeed quite well. This is because of how often I suffer intense emotional pain and suicidal ideation. But...on the other side of feeling those emotions I usually come out allright...my problem has been that I keep running for distractions thinking that the awfulness is bearing down on me again...when in fact it is not...I may just be bored cause I have no interests...but at least I am at peace. Until I distract myself with my main addiction, online chess, which just agitates me if I've had too much...and then next thing I know I'm dead set to ctb...like just now. Was winning a game...distracted myself by writing through the whole game. Blundered a piece, and now I hate myself. Ah well. Cest la vie.

Game Chat Transcript:

I also agree with Chris8000
I have also been taking cold showers for over a year now. I'm not always consistent with the breathing, but I take a cold shower every morning. I never shower hot or even lukewarm: always as cold as possible. It does sometimes give me a temporary energy boost, but it's far from a cure. Regardless, I prefer the cold now anyway.

Reactions: Sensei