TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
While I may have voiced my thoughts and two cents on this in other threads, I wanted to get others' inputs and opinions on this very question. So far, as of the writing of this topic, in May 2023, there hasn't been any new states that have legalized death with dignity since 2021 (2 years ago). While this year there has been some more legislative activity in more states than ever, it still seems that we still far away from legalizing death with dignity in all states. In fact, I believe there are just some states that will (almost) never pass even the basic death with dignity laws (mostly Southern and politically conservative, religious states). For the other ones that will get there, it may take many years, perhaps decades before one even has a basic death with dignity process (terminally ill, with six months or less to live, having the physical and mental capacity to self-administer the drug, etc.). The worst part is even if in the states that do pass it, it may be even beyond our lifetimes (like several decades or over half a century or longer) and by then, we'd likely have the same death with dignity laws that are on the books for the current states that have legalized it (California, Oregon, Washington, New Mexico, Colorado, Hawaii, New Jersey, Vermont, Maine, District of Columbia (not a state but federal jurisdiction), and Montana (only be court ruling).)

Therefore, as an US citizen, I can't say that I'm proud of my nation for being very backwards and way behind a few EU countries, Canada, Oceania, and even some South American countries when it comes to being able to die with dignity. Then on top of that, while some states having legalized it, it only applies to a few people who meet the narrow criteria of terminal illness and less than six months to live. So for instance, if a person has a severe, chronic condition, but not terminal yet poor quality of life and suffering immensely, they would not be able to receive death with dignity, but instead succumb through natural causes. That is unacceptable as those are many unnecessary years (or longer) of suffering and indignities that one should not have to face if they only received death with dignity for their condition!

What are your thoughts on this (mainly other US citizens and/or those who live in the US)? Do you think more states will pass death with dignity laws and do you think they will pass them in a timely manner (like within several years and not decades or beyond our lifetimes)? Also, do you think death with dignity will at the minimum, be expanded for those who have non-terminal diagnosis (potentially for mental illnesses, but mostly for severe physical illnesses, chronic illnesses, and debilitating conditions)?

Reactions: Engström
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
Bumping this topic due to a narrow audience.

Vizzy

Vizzy

DEAD
May 6, 2023
While I may have voiced my thoughts and two cents on this in other threads, I wanted to get others' inputs and opinions on this very question. So far, as of the writing of this topic, in May 2023, there hasn't been any new states that have legalized death with dignity since 2021 (2 years ago). While this year there has been some more legislative activity in more states than ever, it still seems that we still far away from legalizing death with dignity in all states. In fact, I believe there are just some states that will (almost) never pass even the basic death with dignity laws (mostly Southern and politically conservative, religious states). For the other ones that will get there, it may take many years, perhaps decades before one even has a basic death with dignity process (terminally ill, with six months or less to live, having the physical and mental capacity to self-administer the drug, etc.). The worst part is even if in the states that do pass it, it may be even beyond our lifetimes (like several decades or over half a century or longer) and by then, we'd likely have the same death with dignity laws that are on the books for the current states that have legalized it (California, Oregon, Washington, New Mexico, Colorado, Hawaii, New Jersey, Vermont, Maine, District of Columbia (not a state but federal jurisdiction), and Montana (only be court ruling).)

Therefore, as an US citizen, I can't say that I'm proud of my nation for being very backwards and way behind a few EU countries, Canada, Oceania, and even some South American countries when it comes to being able to die with dignity. Then on top of that, while some states having legalized it, it only applies to a few people who meet the narrow criteria of terminal illness and less than six months to live. So for instance, if a person has a severe, chronic condition, but not terminal yet poor quality of life and suffering immensely, they would not be able to receive death with dignity, but instead succumb through natural causes. That is unacceptable as those are many unnecessary years (or longer) of suffering and indignities that one should not have to face if they only received death with dignity for their condition!

What are your thoughts on this (mainly other US citizens and/or those who live in the US)? Do you think more states will pass death with dignity laws and do you think they will pass them in a timely manner (like within several years and not decades or beyond our lifetimes)? Also, do you think death with dignity will at the minimum, be expanded for those who have non-terminal diagnosis (potentially for mental illnesses, but mostly for severe physical illnesses, chronic illnesses, and debilitating conditions)?
For US, federally I don't think it will happen in coming years, maybe in 50 to 100 years federally they will legalize euthanasia for terminally ill people but for non terminally ill I don't think it's happening anytime soon

State wise, many states will allow legal euthanasia for the terminally ill including the red states will change as time goes or people can move to another state to get euthanized if they are terminally ill but right now terminally ill people have no problem in getting euthanized because people from any state in USA can move to Oregon to get euthanized if they are terminally ill, you don't have to be from Oregon but for the non terminally ill people I don't think anyone is pushing bill in any states to make it legal so we are looking at 50 to 100 years minimum for that to happen!

• Love
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
For US, federally I don't think it will happen in coming years, maybe in 50 to 100 years federally they will legalize euthanasia for terminally ill people but for non terminally ill I don't think it's happening anytime soon

State wise, many states will allow legal euthanasia for the terminally ill including the red states will change as time goes or people can move to another state to get euthanized if they are terminally ill but right now terminally ill people have no problem in getting euthanized because people from any state in USA can move to Oregon to get euthanized if they are terminally ill, you don't have to be from Oregon but for the non terminally ill people I don't think anyone is pushing bill in any states to make it legal so we are looking at 50 to 100 years minimum for that to happen!
Hmm, good post and it seems to be in line with what I believe or infer that would happen in the future. This doesn't look good simply because of the long time frame for legalizing of death with dignity, but even then only for terminal illness and with six months or less to live, must be able to have (physical) capacity to self-administer, etc. So right out of the gate, it already only applies to a very small demographic with very tight restrictions and requirements, thus being inaccessible for a lot of people. Then, 50-100 years from now, most of us will either be long dead or very elderly and still perhaps unable to access it, thus having no benefit during our lifetimes (or very little, assuming that if some of us do end up geriatric and meet the criteria by then). I do think it would benefit the future future generations though.

Reactions: Vizzy
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
I thought I'd at least bump this topic as the year 2023 is getting closer to ending, and it has been a while so this thread has reached a narrow audience. Given how things are going in the US, does anyone (preferably people who also live in the US) believe that within the states that already have Death With Dignity laws on the books will seek to expand their eligibility to include those who aren't terminally ill (defined as 6 months or less to live), but for people with incurable, intolerable, several illnesses and disabilities? I hope that any step in the right direction is another step towards mercy and relief for people whose lives become unbearable at least having a way out of suffering...

Engström

Engström

hyvää yötä ♊︎
Oct 27, 2023
I thought I'd at least bump this topic as the year 2023 is getting closer to ending, and it has been a while so this thread has reached a narrow audience. Given how things are going in the US, does anyone (preferably people who also live in the US) believe that within the states that already have Death With Dignity laws on the books will seek to expand their eligibility to include those who aren't terminally ill (defined as 6 months or less to live), but for people with incurable, intolerable, several illnesses and disabilities? I hope that any step in the right direction is another step towards mercy and relief for people whose lives become unbearable at least having a way out of suffering...

I don't see it happening any time soon - the US particularly hates to lose its slaves. The US by design doesn't want anyone escaping the machine. There's a possibility of a break in that doctrine, yes, but things would have to get to a certain point. Things meaning the inability to ignore what is needed, to address the myriad of underlying issues, etc.

I hope I'm wrong and legislature in support of DWD happens sooner, more progressively and possibly nation wide.

Seeing Vizzy in this thread 🥹

I miss you, Vizz. I'll be seeing you soon 🥭🐾

Reactions: myusername890 and TAW122
CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

Metal Fan- Wants to hang Under The Oak
May 8, 2023
I think that more states will pass death with dignity laws and I also think that it'll happen sooner than you think. I remember legislation regarding the topic being under consideration in my state, which is heavily conservative. With the younger generation, I think people will become a lot more amicable to the idea.

Reactions: Engström and TAW122
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
No. No benefit for those in power. And the people advocating for it a going to die regardless. And honestly "dignity" is the best word here but no death is truly dignified. It's more dying without suffering or dying without fear. The people in power don't care about you and they really don't care if you are suffering. I'm not unconvinced they don't prefer you to be.

Reactions: Engström, TAW122, raindrop9 and 1 other person
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
I don't see it happening any time soon - the US particularly hates to lose its slaves. The US by design doesn't want anyone escaping the machine. There's a possibility of a break in that doctrine, yes, but things would have to get to a certain point. Things meaning the inability to ignore what is needed, to address the myriad of underlying issues, etc.

I hope I'm wrong and legislature in support of DWD happens sooner, more progressively and possibly nation wide.

Seeing Vizzy in this thread 🥹

I miss you, Vizz. I'll be seeing you soon 🥭🐾
Seeing that there are societal issues that are at the forefront especially housing, inflation, cost of living, and of course, healthcare costs, perhaps there will be people who may change their attitudes, at least for a start, loosening up their anti-death with dignity stance and becoming a bit more 'tolerant' of death with dignity for terminally ill people. This would be a major first step towards compassion and eventually (possibly decades or so) opening up to non-terminal but severe illnesses (physical and mental ailments) with little prospect of recovery. I think already just be opening up death with dignity to the terminally ill will already ease some healthcare resource burden on the system, even if it is just a little bit, and then possibly more down the line. While people consider that it is profitable for the healthcare system to keep a patient alive as long as possible, yes that's true, but ONLY IF the patient (or their family) has really deep pockets to continuously fund treatment after treatment, so at some point, when there are more than enough terminally ill patients, such that resources would be stretched too thin or become unprofitable, perhaps the healthcare industry may step back and reconsider the fact that prolongation of life (and suffering) isn't going to line their pockets and make changes in their policy.

Anyways, I too hope that the support for DWD expands over the coming years, if not nationwide, then at least more states join in besides the current 10 states plus one jurisdiction (Washington, Oregon, California, Montana, New Mexico, Colorado, Vermont, Maine, Hawaii, New Jersey, and District of Columbia (federal territory).)

I think that more states will pass death with dignity laws and I also think that it'll happen sooner than you think. I remember legislation regarding the topic being under consideration in my state, which is heavily conservative. With the younger generation, I think people will become a lot more amicable to the idea.
I sure hope so, and yes I do feel like the younger generation (Gen Z and the generation coming after it, Alpha if I recall) has a more doom and gloom attitude towards the way things in the world is going. I do think that perhaps when the older generation start to retire and are replaced by older millennials and even Gen Z as the majority, I think there will be quite a bit of social change. I don't know how DWD will be assuming that there new generations of people coming into the world, and also people shifting towards the right, maybe it may advance it, or perhaps may reverse course (which I hope not!). Overall, I believe even bringing more death with dignity laws on the books and having even the most basic program (starting from terminal illnesses) would be a good start towards a compassionate society.

No. No benefit for those in power. And the people advocating for it a going to die regardless. And honestly "dignity" is the best word here but no death is truly dignified. It's more dying without suffering or dying without fear. The people in power don't care about you and they really don't care if you are suffering. I'm not unconvinced they don't prefer you to be.
True, the process of death can be scary (not when death has arrived, but the losing of conscious while one's SI kicks in), and yes, the point of death with dignity and similar programs are to minimize suffering and also reduce the amount of barbaric means that ones go through to exit suffering (sometimes causing collateral damage to unwilling bystanders and participants). Sure, the people in power don't care about individuals suffering, but perhaps there is a point like @Engström said about social issues and the state of affairs becoming too untenable and no longer able to just be ignored, then 'change' or at least acknowledgement of the issue will come to light.

Reactions: myusername890 and Engström