Weebster

Weebster

Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty.
Mar 11, 2022
I wish I lived in some other era. There are so many people in public but they're not accessible. Superficial interactions don't interest me. I hate this shit.

D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
I think the loneliness epidemic is only a manifestation of human nature being brought to its logical endpoint. You mentioned how superficial interactions don't interest you. Neither do they interest me, but it seems the majority of people thrive in such circumstances. People like you, me, and I guess a lot of people on here are then brushed to the side because we do not conform to this social scene.

Of course, this is all just my own personal experience.

Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
I think the loneliness epidemic is only a manifestation of human nature being brought to its logical endpoint. You mentioned how superficial interactions don't interest you. Neither do they interest me, but it seems the majority of people thrive in such circumstances. People like you, me, and I guess a lot of people on here are then brushed to the side because we do not conform to this social scene.

Of course, this is all just my own personal experience.
Were people like us unusual even before current technology? Why is it abnormal to want real connection and conversations with depth?

D

DynamicDepression

Deranged
Mar 28, 2022
Were people like us unusual even before current technology? Why is it abnormal to want real connection and conversations with depth?
Of course we were. Modern communication technology didn't change human nature, it only amplified its reach. As for your other question: Beats the hell out of me.

JinZhin

JinZhin

we are in hell
Nov 2, 2021
I'm not sure people were any less shallow in the past, besides all of us were always fundamentally alone, but most people don't think about it that way.
When it comes to technology making it worse, Idk, but have you read Kacynsky's manifesto? I think he had a lot of interesting things to say about it.
(hint: we are headed towards collapse of civilization)

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I wish I lived in some other era. There are so many people in public but they're not accessible. Superficial interactions don't interest me. I hate this shit.

I guess that technology has surpassed the social development of human beings, which means that it might be harder to make friends and to find a significant other.

There's no use in blaming other people, because we are all human beings trying to find our way in life, and to find friends or a significant other.

Not to sound extremely pessimistic, but I think that there's no way forwards besides some kind of extremely horrible war that can kill off many of us, and then those who survive can rebuild a society that functions better than what we currently have.

Reactions: demuic and Weebster
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Technology has altered social dynamics in such a way that quantity has overruled quality. The trends have been towards large numbers of so-called friends on Facebook, being exposed to a large amount of human noise, feeling in competition with others in every facet of life, having shorter attention spans, but losing the sense of deep togetherness of close-knit communities of old. Urbanisation is another factor, as is high living costs resulting in limited free time.

I expect the situation will improve to some degree. The same way that people slowly learned to be skeptical of the political fake news all over social media, they will start to see low-quality online connections as a social toxin in many situations. The desire for a proper 'tribe' will follow. Websites like Meetup.com are popular for this reason.

Reactions: Julgran
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I think some online games help people with loneliness. But we need more interactive experiences aimed at lonely people that has fantastic worlds that you can build things, have safe space meditation walk in centres and such. A bit like a cross between Minecraft and that beautiful game journey.

Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
Technology has altered social dynamics in such a way that quantity has overruled quality. The trends have been towards large numbers of so-called friends on Facebook, being exposed to a large amount of human noise, feeling in competition with others in every facet of life, having shorter attention spans, but losing the sense of deep togetherness of close-knit communities of old. Urbanisation is another factor, as is high living costs resulting in limited free time.

I expect the situation will improve to some degree. The same way that people slowly learned to be skeptical of the political fake news all over social media, they will start to see low-quality online connections as a social toxin in many situations. The desire for a proper 'tribe' will follow. Websites like Meetup.com are popular for this reason.
This alone is reason enough to die.

• Wow
Reactions: demuic and Pluto