iamthezero

iamthezero

Fiend Queen
Jun 22, 2018
I was talking to my friend a few days and we came up briefly on my suicide. She made the comment "That would be all over the news." The thought never crossed my mind. It made sense. College student. Dorm. Too close. So. Change of plans. I wouldn't oviously want to make the news. I don't even want a funeral. I think of my family, wouldn't want to drag out my death, its enough already. Any advice, as to not? If I'm found on the side of the road in my car would there still be a large police presence becuase i'm a student or no? I've been told before that sucides without large police presence dont make the news.

I heard recently about a college girl jumping to her death in a public place on campus it was all over the news and the web. Not that bold.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Deafsn0w
Xerxes

Xerxes

Invisible
Nov 8, 2018
The only time they ever report a suicide on the news is if you hurt someone else or you're massively popular (social presence, no one saw it coming, families shocked, etc.) If you're a nobody like me, "who? meh, gonna go play smash"

Reactions: Redt2go, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, MsM3talGamer and 6 others
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
I was talking to my friend a few days and we came up briefly on my suicide. She made the comment "That would be all over the news." The thought never crossed my mind. It made sense. College student. Dorm. Too close. So. Change of plans. I wouldn't oviously want to make the news. I don't even want a funeral. I think of my family, wouldn't want to drag out my death, its enough already. Any advice, as to not? If I'm found on the side of the road in my car would there still be a large police presence becuase i'm a student or no? I've been told before that sucides without large police presence dont make the news.

I heard recently about a college girl jumping to her death in a public place on campus it was all over the news and the web. Not that bold.
When my cousin ctb there was an article in a local newspaper, but I think the decision over whether it gets published comes down to your family and what happened before the suicide, if that makes sense. My cousin was missing for a short time before she was found and that was in the news so I suppose part of the reason the article was published was to inform people she was found and they identified the body. I read somewhere that there's one suicide every two hours and most of them aren't in the news.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, therhydler and Deafsn0w
MexicanTravels

MexicanTravels

Pokémon Master
Sep 6, 2018
My school newspaper tends to publish all the suicides that happen at the university. Heck, they've even published suicides by alumni in other states. I suggest withdrawing now that the semester is over if you don't want your death to be sensationalized, but only if you're absolutely certain you're going to go through with it. Also, if you survive and get stuck in a psych ward, you don't have to worry about tuition bills for a semester you're not even attending.

Reactions: Redt2go and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Crest33

Crest33

Sheet slinger
Nov 28, 2018
I would not peruse the idea of being in the news after your ctb. It's just odd. What happens happens...

I live in a relatively small country. If you see news from a ctb of a 21 year old, it's probably me. Strange disappearances often make the news in Belgium. And my plan involves a disappearance.

This summer in Belgium, i think like 300 people searched for a week after a young father went missing. In the end they found him... But it was to late.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and GreenLantern
O

OkTotti

Wizard
Nov 6, 2018
Yes, i would wait until the semester is over and CTB off campus. If you happen to be very popular and have large social media presence then you might make the news anyways and make you a face for prevention suicide - this often happens if you're a woman.

Reactions: Redt2go and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Jane Doe

Jane Doe

Student
Aug 19, 2018
Very rarely. In my country we have a media blackout on suicides to stop copy cat attempts

Reactions: Redt2go, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Jupiter and 2 others
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
I read somewhere that there's one suicide every two hours and most of them aren't in the news.
Apparently someone CTB every 40 seconds.
The media made a decision years ago to play down/reduce reporting on suicide.

Reactions: Redt2go, Jenna, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 3 others
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I think the chances are slim to none, unless like other said, you have a social media presence or am somewhat of a celebrity.

Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
I guess this not only made the news! But was the news. I only discovered this recently..

N

nohoper

Dec 2, 2018
Depends on the method and what your profession is around here, if your a bit of a nobody unless you jump off a bridge or in front of a train its unlikely, if your in a high profile profession like police or teacher CO in a car still makes the local paper.

Reactions: Redt2go, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and GreenLantern
johnny

johnny

Experienced
Dec 5, 2018
The only suicides that I see make the news are ones in public places (jumping off a parking garage, shooting himself in a parking lot), and even then they usually don't say the person's name. If you are enrolled in a university though, they might send out an email notification to all students about your death.

Reactions: Redt2go, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, GreenLantern and 1 other person
T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
The more public your death, the more the media will feel the need to explain it. If you ctb someplace out of the public eye, by a prosaic method, the media won't even notice.

Reactions: Redt2go, Singing In The Rain, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
[NoName]

[NoName]

Student
Nov 15, 2018
I was talking to my friend a few days and we came up briefly on my suicide. She made the comment "That would be all over the news." The thought never crossed my mind. It made sense. College student. Dorm. Too close. So. Change of plans. I wouldn't oviously want to make the news. I don't even want a funeral. I think of my family, wouldn't want to drag out my death, its enough already. Any advice, as to not? If I'm found on the side of the road in my car would there still be a large police presence becuase i'm a student or no? I've been told before that suicides without large police presence dont make the news.

I go to a school where whenever something bad happens to a student (sexual assault, burglary, suicide, etc.) they send out a mass email. You could look into your school's policies on reporting on what happens to students. Maybe dig through the load of emails they send out all the time to see if and how they react to a student going through an awful thing or dying.

You can also search through the news where you live to see how they react to suicides.

You can tell your family in a note what you would want to happen after you die. What you would want in your obituary, do you want them to talk to the news? etc.

It's all up to you.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
S

stargazer

Arcanist
Nov 19, 2018
Because I am intending to go by pact/partner, I am sure it'll make local news here. It'll likely be something along the lines of either specifics (suicide pact) or they'll just tip toe (two bodies have been discovered today...). News reporters usually have guidelines but it varies.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and OkTotti