A

aaaannndz

Feb 17, 2020
Here in Canada recent grads who meet certain criteria are eligible to receive money from the government due to less hours, less employment etc. because of covid19.
The application date for the next installment is next week. My plan was to wait until that day, apply, and CTB a day or two later. (My hope is that most if not all of the money in my bank account will go to my parents so I want to leave my bank account with as much money as I can).

However, can this behaviour be counted as fraud (because my death is so soon after applying for the money, investigations could conclude that I'm cheating the system...and I suppose in a way I am)? I don't want my estate/my parents getting sued/fined for it and ending up with less money, or even worse, losing a lot of additional money due to being sued/fined for my behaviour.

got2beFionaC

got2beFionaC

i am nobody. who are you? are you nobody, too?
Jul 1, 2020
more than likely they will take the money back if you're deceased since it's government money. unless you wait until you receive it and cash it out of the account.
i know here in the states if someone dies while receiving government money (such as ssi) they will take that money back if it's in their bank account. does that make sense?

Reactions: GoneGoneGone, Isadeth, HeavyOne and 3 others
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
i know here in the states if someone dies while receiving government money (such as ssi) they will take that money back if it's in their bank account. does that make sense?

I from from the States and receive SSDI. When I die, my estate will still receive money the next month as it's always paid for the previous month. I looked it up on their website when I started researching ctb.

Reactions: aaaannndz
A

aaaannndz

Feb 17, 2020
more than likely they will take the money back if you're deceased since it's government money. unless you wait until you receive it and cash it out of the account.

So if I withdraw all the money after receiving it and leave it for my parents as cash, the government can't ask for it back? I'm just sort of afraid to do this, I don't really know much about the law, especially financial related things so I'm scared if doing things like this count as "hiding something" (also worried about things going wrong with sending the message to my parents post-ctb about where the money is)

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I think you need to research it on a government website and/or wait for a Canadian to respond who can guide you to the correct info. I don't think you're likely to get reliable answers from us Americans. We barely even know Canada is there.

Reactions: Zappfe lover and aaaannndz
got2beFionaC

got2beFionaC

i am nobody. who are you? are you nobody, too?
Jul 1, 2020
So if I withdraw all the money after receiving it and leave it for my parents as cash, the government can't ask for it back? I'm just sort of afraid to do this, I don't really know much about the law, especially financial related things so I'm scared if doing things like this count as "hiding something" (also worried about things going wrong with sending the message to my parents post-ctb about where the money is)

are your parents "co-signed" (sorry i can't think of the right word) on your bank account? like can they access your account to add/withdraw money?

H

HadEnough1974

I try to be funny...
Jan 14, 2020
Here in Canada recent grads who meet certain criteria are eligible to receive money from the government due to less hours, less employment etc. because of covid19.
The application date for the next installment is next week. My plan was to wait until that day, apply, and CTB a day or two later. (My hope is that most if not all of the money in my bank account will go to my parents so I want to leave my bank account with as much money as I can).

However, can this behaviour be counted as fraud (because my death is so soon after applying for the money, investigations could conclude that I'm cheating the system...and I suppose in a way I am)? I don't want my estate/my parents getting sued/fined for it and ending up with less money, or even worse, losing a lot of additional money due to being sued/fined for my behaviour.

You're not committing fraud by committing suicide. You parents are in the clear because they didn't do anything wrong. As for yourself, you fully had the intention to go to school. Your suicide was impulsive and not expected.

They can't cross examine you because you'll be dead. They can't know what was going on in your mind.

Those are my thoughts. Although I'm not a lawyer, I watched enough episodes of law and order to know what I'm talking about ;)

Ok that was a joke. Watching law and order in no way qualifies me for giving out legal advice.

Reactions: GoneGoneGone, Klee, aaaannndz and 4 others
P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
theres no fraud and you wont be in the wrong.

i'm assuming your talking about the CESB, which provides financial support for post-secondary students and grad students who cannot find work due to COVID and if they meet the eligibility requirements. that moneys for you and only you choose to decide what to do with it.

i've given my mom around $4k so far with my own benefits, just to help out with financial support. its your money and your responsibility to do whatever you wish with it, which we all hope for the most part is putting it to good use because the money really is to provide some sort of relief for individuals during the pandemic. though, the money from both CERB AND CESB is taxable, so thats a different story.

though, even if its in your money, you should still look to add your parents on some sort of joint account that i know alot of major Canadian banks offer, just so the account and funds itself is readibly available by the surviving account owner. you can also choose to transfer the CESB cheque itself after you've recieved it to either of your parents. you can also edit the bank account you'd like the money to go to through on the CRA website when you apply for the CESB and choose to use a new account to send the money to for this installment and update the info so its your parents account. all of its your choice, your responsibility because its your money and its for you to decide what to do with. i've made my mom as a recipient and second account for installments to be redirected towards on my CRA website. i'll also be creating a joint-account in the future for my plans, so these two could be options for you as well.

take care.

Greenberg

Greenberg

nitrogenexit.blogspot.com
Jun 28, 2020
There is nothing wrong with withdrawing all your money from an account and leaving the cash in an envelope where it can be found later. Do remember that there are final expenses like funeral costs and the like.

Reactions: aaaannndz and Deleted member 4993
A

aaaannndz

Feb 17, 2020
are your parents "co-signed" (sorry i can't think of the right word) on your bank account? like can they access your account to add/withdraw money?

No I'm pretty sure they're not. Since I don't have a will, I was hoping intestate laws would get the money to my parents.

You're not committing fraud by committing suicide. You parents are in the clear because they didn't do anything wrong. As for yourself, you fully had the intention to go to school. Your suicide was impulsive and not expected.

They can't cross examine you because you'll be dead. They can't know what was going on in your mind.

Those are my thoughts. Although I'm not a lawyer, I watched enough episodes of law and order to know what I'm talking about ;)

Ok that was a joke. Watching law and order in no way qualifies me for giving out legal advice.

Okay that's good, I was really hoping that'd be the answer. That does make things simpler for me. Thanks for responding.

theres no fraud and you wont be in the wrong.

i'm assuming your talking about the CESB, which provides financial support for post-secondary students and grad students who cannot find work due to COVID and if they meet the eligibility requirements. that moneys for you and only you choose to decide what to do with it.

i've given my mom around $4k so far with my own benefits, just to help out with financial support. its your money and your responsibility to do whatever you wish with it, which we all hope for the most part is putting it to good use because the money really is to provide some sort of relief for individuals during the pandemic. though, the money from both CERB AND CESB is taxable, so thats a different story.

though, even if its in your money, you should still look to add your parents on some sort of joint account that i know alot of major Canadian banks offer, just so the account and funds itself is readibly available by the surviving account owner. you can also choose to transfer the CESB cheque itself after you've recieved it to either of your parents. you can also edit the bank account you'd like the money to go to through on the CRA website when you apply for the CESB and choose to use a new account to send the money to for this installment and update the info so its your parents account. all of its your choice, your responsibility because its your money and its for you to decide what to do with. i've made my mom as a recipient and second account for installments to be redirected towards on my CRA website. i'll also be creating a joint-account in the future for my plans, so these two could be options for you as well.

take care.

Yes CESB is exactly what I was referring to, I was hoping someone would know what I was talking about. Setting up a joint account does sound like a good idea. I'll look into it. Thanks for all the info.

There is nothing wrong with withdrawing all your money from an account and leaving the cash in an envelope where it can be found later. Do remember that there are final expenses like funeral costs and the like.

Yeah for sure, I was hoping the money I leave behind would help with those costs. My only problem with withdrawing and keeping it in an envelope is worries with my message reaching my parents properly after I'm gone, that's why I was planning on keeping the money in my account.

Thank you to everyone who responded

• Love
Reactions: pole
D

Deleted member 1768

Enlightened
Aug 15, 2018

Fellow Canadian here. Your application has to be accepted and the money in your account before it is considered yours.

A

aaaannndz

Feb 17, 2020
Fellow Canadian here. Your application has to be accepted and the money in your account before it is considered yours.

That's a really important piece of info. I'll wait until I confirm it's in my account first before next steps. Thank you

E

Emily123

Arcanist
May 28, 2019
anybody is different but i wouldn't ctb for this reason

D

Deleted member 1768

Enlightened
Aug 15, 2018
I am Canadian, and will be sending money to my son after I die. Snail-mail.

Greenberg

Greenberg

nitrogenexit.blogspot.com
Jun 28, 2020
That's so true. The mail service is so slow in Canada!!

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Deleted member 1768