L

LittleMonkey

Aug 13, 2020
Imagine that Junko Furuta, Caesar, those who were tortured to death and so on are stuck in their painful dying process, because due to urge to survive their consciousness refuses to die. Of course, for us they are all long dead, but just for us, not for themselves. What do you think on that?

Reactions: Antigonish
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
I think you're making up problems that don't exist

Reactions: x~Sophia~x, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, waived and 3 others
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
That would be quite crappy. But I don't see many implications for everyday life. If I ever find myself being tortured to death I shall endeavour to quell any urge to survive.

Cant Maintain

Cant Maintain

Garbage Fire
Aug 21, 2020
Alan Watts would say "Nature Abhors a Vacuum" but contradictory to that he also talked a lot about non existence and how going to sleep and never waking up is quite similar to waking up without ever having slept; Tim Leary was excited for the last firing of neurons that could feel like ages in a psychedelic experience of death. I'm ok with whatever it brings me

XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
Of course, for us they are all long dead, but just for us, not for themselves.

Do you mean to say that they live forever? I don't see how that would be possible, or what that has to do with them being conscious up until their very last nanosecond alive. Could you please explain?

Reactions: dontwantocareanymore
L

LittleMonkey

Aug 13, 2020
Do you mean to say that they live forever? I don't see how that would be possible, or what that has to do with them being conscious up until their very last nanosecond alive. Could you please explain?
Well, it's about time relativity. Perhaps you had moments where time seemed to be very slow, and vice versa. So maybe, due to death being such a radical and unusual experience that threatens your very existence, time will just stop for you.

Reactions: XYZ
Antigonish

Antigonish

Mage
Sep 19, 2020
Imagine a minute as a few hundred lifetimes

Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
Yeah, quantum immortality is an extremely scary thought just like eternal recurrence. It's odd that we find ourselves alive at the very beginning of the universe. Maybe the odds of existence aren't so small after all? Maybe we can't not exist? I didn't have these fears a year ago.

waived

waived

I am a sunrise
Jan 5, 2019
I don't want to derail the spooky fear-train but just for clarity, how would this moment/instance of death be different than any other moment, especially those when we are propelled into fight or flight? The theory has a very human attribute and marker attached to it in our understanding of suffering you would think physics would apply at any time independent of this, like suddenly writing this post for quantum-forever.

Wouldn't events considered to be highly painful but not fatal also trigger this quantum immortality? What if the person believes they are ready to go (after being tortured or whatever) would they then experience the bliss of a final end for quantum-forever? Based on the actual science of death and the chemicals released in response to pain and distress, isn't this far more likely of a scenario.

he also talked a lot about non existence and how going to sleep and never waking up is quite similar to waking up without ever having slept;

I have memories of emergent understanding of things and becoming physically more adept which are explainable via actual sciences such as anthropology and our current understanding of physiological development. It's not like waking up in a tent three days after a phish concert.

Tim Leary was excited for the last firing of neurons that could feel like ages in a psychedelic experience of death. I'm ok with whatever it brings me

Time distortion is finite as we know from psychedelic experiences not on the eve of death. People losing their minds doesn't count as experiencing quantum forever, the power plant will shut off. Electricity isn't 'consciousness' and electricity ceases when bodily functions cease.

Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
I don't want to derail the spooky fear-train but just for clarity, how would this moment/instance of death be different than any other moment, especially those when we are propelled into fight or flight? The theory has a very human attribute and marker attached to it in our understanding of suffering you would think physics would apply at any time independent of this, like suddenly writing this post for quantum-forever.

Wouldn't events considered to be highly painful but not fatal also trigger this quantum immortality? What if the person believes they are ready to go (after being tortured or whatever) would they then experience the bliss of a final end for quantum-forever? Based on the actual science of death and the chemicals released in response to pain and distress, isn't this far more likely of a scenario.

I have memories of emergent understanding of things and becoming physically more adept which are explainable via actual sciences such as anthropology and our current understanding of physiological development. It's not like waking up in a tent three days after a phish concert.

Time distortion is finite as we know from psychedelic experiences not on the eve of death. People losing their minds doesn't count as experiencing quantum forever, the power plant will shut off. Electricity isn't 'consciousness' and electricity ceases when bodily functions cease.

It depends if you accept Many Worlds Theory as a literal interpretation of quantum mechanics. In such a case, you're consciousness would continually shift into a world in which you exist and you'd be perpetually stuck dying forever (or near forever.)

I see a couple of issues with this but the case had been made before.

waived

waived

I am a sunrise
Jan 5, 2019
I dunno y'
It depends if you accept Many Worlds Theory as a literal interpretation of quantum mechanics. In such a case, you're consciousness would continually shift into a world in which you exist and you'd be perpetually stuck dying forever (or near forever.)

I see a couple of issues with this but the case had been made before.

Your consciousness ceases when the physiological process required to maintain it ceases. It is called unconsciousness. The residual electrical ceases when the bodily processes responsible for it ceases. Then you're dead.

Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
I dunno y'

Your consciousness ceases when the physiological process required to maintain it ceases. It is called unconsciousness. The residual electrical ceases when the bodily processes responsible for it ceases. Then you're dead.

In my hypothetical example, these worlds would be almost exactly identical, body and all.

waived

waived

I am a sunrise
Jan 5, 2019
In my hypothetical example, these worlds would be almost exactly identical, body and all.

A hypothesis required to overtake known knowledge of the sciences would have to hypothesize a bit harder. What are your thoughts on sentient lightning?